Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LGA-Manhattan-JFK For An NYC Rookie- Tips/Tricks?

Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks

Thanks to limited availability on a DL companion certificate, I'm taking the scenic route for my first time to New York when it comes to airports, flying into LGA from CMH on a Sunday morning, then back out of JFK the following Saturday at 11:30am. I haven't been to JFK since T3 still stood and the JFK-ATL segment is on a 763ER, so I'm assuming that'll put me out of T4.

I read Manhattan-JFK should be allowed 45 minutes for transit. Any advice on getting to/from Times Square with two people, carry-ons, and checked bags on the weekend?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
It all depends on how much money you want to spend. If you want the fastest and the easiest way, take an Uber/Taxi/Lyft to and from the airport - it should cost somewhere in the $35-$45 range (depending on traffic and tip) to get from LGA -> Times Square, and then $60 to get from Times Square to JFK.

For something slightly less expensive, I would recommend https://www.nycairporter.com/ourserv...-to-manhattan/ - it's not the Ritz, but it will work.

If you want to go the scenic route, I would still recommend taking a taxi/shuttle from LGA, transit options suck. Otherwise, just land in LGA and plug in your origin and destination on Google Maps. Their public transit directions will take into account closures (especially on Sunday, where things can get weird), and will be fairly accurate.

To JFK, you're either looking at taking a Taxi ($60), or a train (Subway: 1/2/3 or another, use Google Maps) down to Penn Station, and then the LIRR over to Jamaica, where you'll catch the Air Train. This is a pretty civilized ride, but isn't significantly cheaper with two people.

Hope that's helpful, happy to answer any Qs.
flatdawgs likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Fastest and easiest way to JFK from Manhattan is a helicopter. as low as 295
hi55us and af fp like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
I love visiting NYC. I've flown in and out of LGA usually. I highly recommend Uber / Lyft if you've got checked bags. For Midtown - Times Square, LGA is the closest. I want to try the Q70 bus to subway sometime when I only have a backpack.

I get to experience JFK sometime next year but I'll have lots of luggage and plan on Uber.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
The New York City forum has tons of info on transportation to/from and about all three airports.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:25 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by JSprague24
[T]he JFK-ATL segment is on a 763ER, so I'm assuming that'll put me out of T4.
Be careful with that assumption; while it is likely your flight will depart from T4, it is possible that it could depart from T2 (I have had 763/764 flights operated in/out of T2). The outbound flight number will give you a clue; if it starts with "2" it's likely to depart from T2 and if it's "4" then it's probably T4. Best to check the DL mobile app before you head to the airport.
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
The New York City forum has tons of info on transportation to/from and about all three airports.
Agreed; there are many threads that discuss travel options to/from Times Square and a detailed wikiguide. Welcome to the NYC Forum - PLEASE READ FIRST (really!)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM
I would suggest LIRR + AirTrain to JFK if your bags are manageable. Traffic to JFK can be terrible and uncomfortable in the back seat of a car. Just my $0.02 that every time I take a car to JFK I regret it and wish I took the train. YMMV of course.
rogo and Gerbs like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by NHFL9
I would suggest LIRR + AirTrain to JFK if your bags are manageable. Traffic to JFK can be terrible and uncomfortable in the back seat of a car. Just my $0.02 that every time I take a car to JFK I regret it and wish I took the train. YMMV of course.
I'm a big fan of public transit, but on a Saturday morning with bags I'd almost certainly go with Uber/Lyft. There almost certainly won't be traffic at that time, and the process of going from Times Square->Penn Station->Jamaica->AirTrain is not super fun with bags.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jordyn
I'm a big fan of public transit, but on a Saturday morning with bags I'd almost certainly go with Uber/Lyft. There almost certainly won't be traffic at that time, and the process of going from Times Square->Penn Station->Jamaica->AirTrain is not super fun with bags.
Fair though I think there was even a Seinfeld that featured the inevitable jam on the Van Wyck
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Public transit with big bags is a big pita. In out up down...
rogo likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
But Blade bounce doesn't run on weekends
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Thanks for the input so far! It'll likely be one personal item, carry-on, and checked bag for each, so the public transit might be a bit clunky but isn't a bad idea.

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Ha! I wish that were in the price range. Maybe someday.

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Be careful with that assumption; while it is likely your flight will depart from T4, it is possible that it could depart from T2 (I have had 763/764 flights operated in/out of T2). The outbound flight number will give you a clue; if it starts with "2" it's likely to depart from T2 and if it's "4" then it's probably T4. Best to check the DL mobile app before you head to the airport.
Agreed; there are many threads that discuss travel options to/from Times Square and a detailed wikiguide. Welcome to the NYC Forum - PLEASE READ FIRST (really!)
I'd heard the flight number rule of thumb and took that into consideration but, at least for now, it's neither/nor (DL661).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I remember when delta use to have a partnership with some helicopter company. They sometimes had sales for 49 dollars and you'd get 500 MQM for the 8-minute trip.

I took it twice this was i believe some 9 - 10 years ago
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by JSprague24
I'd heard the flight number rule of thumb and took that into consideration but, at least for now, it's neither/nor (DL661).
I've experienced the flight number being wrong as well (many times), I think that rule is not as ironclad as it used to be.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by manacit
I've experienced the flight number being wrong as well (many times), I think that rule is not as ironclad as it used to be.
This. Operationally, it's tough for them to guarantee the 2/4 flight number rule of thumb. Having said that, if you have Clear that is available at T2. There is an airside bus that connects T2 with T4. (Depending on the day, the precheck and priority lines are torture at T4, as there are like 30 international carriers in that terminal.)

As for transportation to JFK, here are the basic options:

--LIRR from Penn Station to Jamaica, change to the Airtrain. This means you have to get yourself and your bags to Penn Station, which is no picnic, particularly at rush hour.
--Subway (The A to Howard Beach or the E to Jamaica) and change to the Airtrain. This is cheaper than LIRR (not by much) but more stops and, also, miserable at rush hour. E train has had big air conditioning problems lately.
--Airport shuttle services (there are tons... I know nothing about any of them other than I see them everywhere).
--Yellow cab ($52 flat fare plus tolls, time-of-day surcharges, and tip)
--Car service (UberX is around $80 inclusive of tolls and fees)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.