Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Boarding Abuse - Delta

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FFSFO
Wow. I was actually googling the requirements for Delta's pre-boarding for those with disabilities to see if I needed to check with the gate agent or get a special ticket when I came across this thread. I realize it's old, but a lot of these comments are pathetic and some of you should really be ashamed of yourselves.

Are there people who abuse the system? Of course. Does it affect you? I can't imagine how it would aside from maybe having to gate check your bag if the plane runs out of overhead space. I've never seen a flight with pre-boarding experience a delay- let alone a significant one- due to people boarding earlier than everyone else. Get over yourselves. You have no idea what other people are going through.
If anyone should be ashamed of themselves, it is someone who takes advantage of the situation by pretending to be disabled or needing more time when they don't.

I find your post overwhelmingly sanctimonious, which is common on the internet. Good thing I am here to point out the error in your ways so you will correct your behavior in the future.

I agree we don't know what other people are going through. Are you suggesting that "what people are going through" gives people freedom to take advantage of situations or break rules, or the law? This is fair debate, speeding on the way to the hospital, using an HOV lane, ect. What about using the "reserved for expectant mothers" parking spot because I stubbed my toe, it hurts to walk, yet I am not pregnant?

My point it is, society is a balance between a free for all and being extremely strict. Having discussion on that is normal and healthy. Being bothered by those that lie or stretch the truth is not something to be ashamed of. As someone who is disabled, you would think you of all people would be upset when people do that in order to obtain some benefit, perceived or real. No different than any "they ruin it for the rest of us" argument.

Venting about people who abuse the system, while clearly understanding that there are legitimate needs for pre boarding is hardly something to be ashamed of.
Statman and DougSkymiles like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Did anyone notice they moved the children under 2 to after 1st class boards?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think that is an excellent change. I support it wholeheartedly.

Actually, to be honest in today’s day and age, i think children with young families should board last.

But what I hate is when a child who is obviously 6 or 8 years old is boarding as a part of the families pre-board policy. I also think the entire family should not be allowed to pre-board, but simply the person who needs extra time (the child, senior citizen, etc.) and up to ONE companion to ensure their safety, not Aunt Jane, Uncle Joe, Baby Nicky, Grandma, Grandpa, and Grandpa’s friend Bob.
melissaru and horseymike like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
I have kind of mixed feelings about the whole pre-boarding thing. My mom is ambulatory and not exactly "limited mobility", but isn't exactly "fast", either. She can get from Point A to Point B, but struggles to do so at what one would consider a "normal" speed. She tends to make use of wheelchair services, and I don't begrudge her for it: it's not because she can't get around, but it's a lot harder for her to get around, especially big airports. So, I definitely get it. Is it abuse? I tend to think not.

Look at it from the other side: many of us are able to move around from gate to gate at a good clip, and we have a tendency to get annoyed (or at least mildly irritated) with people who can't keep up the pace and can't (or won't) get out of our way. If the solution is using wheelchair services, so be it.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Actually, to be honest in today’s day and age, i think children with young families should board last.
​​​​​I wouldn't mind this, as long as there is overhead space. When my kids were young, we never preboarded, but one of us usually boarded by Zone 1 to ensure overhead space.

As a taller than normal person, I don't like to use the under seat space, and can't get exit row with kids in tow.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:48 pm

I think that is an excellent change. I support it wholeheartedly.

But what I hate is when a child who is obviously 6 or 8 years old is boarding as a part of the families pre-board policy. I also think the entire family should not be allowed to pre-board, but simply the person who needs extra time (the child, senior citizen, etc.) and up to ONE companion to ensure their safety, not Aunt Jane, Uncle Joe, Baby Nicky, Grandma, Grandpa, and Grandpa’s friend Bob.
I've seen this same thing happen multiple times with people in wheelchairs going through customs. Nothing more satisfying than seeing an CBP agent order most of the people back.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Did anyone notice they moved the children under 2 to after 1st class boards?
I was on a flight just after they changed it. My wife and I, along with our year and a half went up to board and the GA proceeded to tell us how they have now changed the boarding order. I stared at her while she went over her whole talk and then smiled at the red coat standing there and scanned my boarding pass and scrolled to my wifes to scan hers. Just because I am mid 30s, in a t shirt, shorts and flip flops, traveling with a child, I cant possibly be up front. The red coat laughed and we went on our way as she apologized.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:52 am

[left]Actually, to be honest in today’s day and age, i think children with young families should board last.
Could you elaborate?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Could you elaborate?
Children are the death of our society and we shouldn’t encourage such shenanigans like procreation.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:04 pm

When I travel with my toddler son, I board early with the car seat and leave my wife and son at the gate for a bit so they can board last and avoid sitting an extra 30+ mins on the plane. I use that as a chance to get on the plane and get the car seat installed so everything is ready when they board. People at the gate definitely give me looks like I am personally insulting them ("this dude is boarding early by himself?!") but who cares...
acrophobia likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Loadmaster
I was on a "Miracle" flight this week, during the boarding process, I watched about 7 people who pre-boarded (I can say for the record that at least 1 of the 7 was faking it). Upon arriving to my seat, one pre-boarder was seated next to me with a cane and was trying to work it into the overhead bin, I helped her maneuver it in so the bin door would close and didn't think much about it until we landed.

Upon arriving at the gate, and as soon as the seatbelt sign was off and the accompanying "ding", she caught my attention when she got up pretty quickly, grabbed her bag(s) and cane and stood in the aisle ... I ended up following her up the jetway and into the terminal, at which point she was miraculously cured, tucked the cane under her left arm while she drug her bags with her right arm, quickly enough that I could barely keep up with her pace.

I laughed to myself and wondered if there was a thread on FT about "Miracle flights" ... when I came across this thread, I had to share!

When I was 26-27, I had an injury. I used a cane for a few weeks. Young, fit, with a cane.

The hardest (and most painful) thing I could possibly do was walk down a slight incline. Like a jet bridge. Flat was fine, and up was fine.

That woman could easily have been me. Aside from the gender and when this happened, of course.

I also know people who have problems standing around. They can walk fine, but not stand. If you board last, you end up standing in the jet bridge or on the plane, waiting for people to sit down. If you board first, it's just a quick walk.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Often1
The sole reason to board anything but last is OH space or But, because it makes some people who are unspecial feel special, there are people who feel the need. On a standard single-aisle domestic aircraft, it is highly unlikely that the OH space is gone before the last 20% of passengers. In F, so long as the FA's are fairly tough about F bags in F OH, there should not really be a problem. If there is, spilling over a row or two into C+ is hardly the end of the world.

The only people who really lose are low BG pax who are on tight connections. They may wind up boarding after BE and there may well not be any room. But, I find it rare that the FA's don't find a place to squeeze an F bag or two.

Remember, in the old days, F boarded last under the apparently mistaken view that F had paid for the privilege of not sitting longer than necessary while people slam their steamer trunks into one's shoulders.
Not to stray too far off-topic, but if F pax board first, it would be good if everyone else aft of them weren't boarding through the first-class cabin. Why not have a second jetbridge to load toward the rear?

I'm far from being a frequent flyer (yet) so I was somewhat surprised that all of us Main Cabin people passed through the occupied F cabin. It felt awkward standing by seated passengers, and maybe they also felt awkward to have a bunch of lined-up people carrying bags standing next to them. It might be just me.

To get back on topic, I loosely equate pre-boarding with handicapped parking spaces. To avoid confusion (as someone else mentioned), it would be good to allow (but not necessarily require) indication of need (or military privilege to) pre-board at booking to get it printed on the boarding passes. That is, after reading the pre-boarding criteria, and on one's honor picking that option. It would have to be on the honor system, because it would be overkill to require a doctor's note or letter from commanding officer to approve this. Having enough time to read and think to understand, rather than quickly responding/reacting to an announcement, might make pre-boarding go more smoothly.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I think we need to give passengers who pre-board the benefit of the doubt. Not all disabilities are obvious to an observer. As an airport travelers assistance volunteer, here are some examples or people I have encountered or assisted who had disabilities that were not outwardly apparent:

1) Numerous families with grade school age kids who are on the autism spectrum. Their disabilities may not show, but anxiety in crowds is a common problem for people with autism, even though they may be high functioning. It may be helpful for them to board early to avoid standing in a crowded line on the jetway.
2) A man in his 30s who was having psychological problems. His brother had spoken with me on the phone and said the passenger was not well and on medication that was not working. The passenger was anxious and not tracking well (he had already missed a flight), but to a casual observer would not have appeared to have a disability.
3) A man who missed a connection because of a bad reaction to Dramamine. He was rebooked but was in fragile condition and told me he was a veteran, had PTSD, and got very nervous when flying.
4) Older adults with some dementia.
5) Passengers who are deaf or have limited hearing and may not hear boarding announcements.
6) Passengers who have vision limitations but are not fully blind.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris
The better half had a very complicated surgery a few years ago that required a temporary handicap tag and pre boarding. The dirty looks we would get was depressing and insulting. From the outside everything looked normal but walking more than a few steps was a pain that i would not want to imagine.

Maybe people need to stop bad mouthing people with disabilities or think its people trying to cheat the system. Take the high road and maybe give folks the benefit of the doubt. Cheaters will always find a way to get around the rules, but a lot of peoples responses in this thread are frankly quite depressing.....
Very noble for this person to get a temporary handicapped tag, not a permanent one. Hope the pain is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.