Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP or DTW for Long Layover

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
MSP or DTW for Long Layover

I am looking at some Delta flights that have an approximate 3-hour layover in either Detroit or Minneapolis. Which is better for a long layover? I have the American Express Platinum Card for Skyclub access and also Priority Pass.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I like the large food court/great hall corridor in MSP, but the food court is under construction for the foreseeable future. The main Sky Club at MSP has a great buffet but it's a pretty crappy overall sky club (seating, view, crowding) for a hub. I haven't been to the renovated club at DTW yet, but overall I love roaming that airport. The main club has good options, and the clubs at the end of the main concourse are cozy and quieter (MSP also has a cozier club in the C concourse). Long story short, for 3 hours I'd do DTW. If it were longer, I'd do MSP and leave the airport and go to the Mall of America .
MarkOK, b00mer89 and kop84 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by holocker
I am looking at some Delta flights that have an approximate 3-hour layover in either Detroit or Minneapolis. Which is better for a long layover? I have the American Express Platinum Card for Skyclub access and also Priority Pass.
I think the MSP "Escape Lounge" (Available w/ your Amex Platinum) is way nicer than the MSP Skyclub. That's where I'd rather spend my layover. The "middle" (40s?) DTW Skyclub is good, but not as nice as Escape IMO, which has a better food selection, power plugs everywhere, and is less crowded.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
I always pick DTW with the same layover because I enjoy walking the long concourse instead of making my way through MSP. The SkyClub is fine with me.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gig103
I think the MSP "Escape Lounge" (Available w/ your Amex Platinum) is way nicer than the MSP Skyclub. That's where I'd rather spend my layover. The "middle" (40s?) DTW Skyclub is good, but not as nice as Escape IMO, which has a better food selection, power plugs everywhere, and is less crowded.
This would be my answer too. Note that the Escape lounge isn't available for PP (but there is a PGA lounge instead that gives a credit for food purchase if you're not interested in the golf stuff), but your regular AmEx platinum charge card gets you in the door (for free).

With three hours, you could also do a very quick trip to the Mall of America using the light rail if you've never seen it.

OTOH, DTW has the overhead red train (now running at half capacity for maintenance) and the psychadelic tunnel. It's too bad the signed rocks are gone. (RIP)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:41 am

I definitely second the vote for the Escape Lounge at MSP. I was there a few months ago and it had great food selections and was very quiet ... at least when I went on a Saturday (late-morning). Only negative is that the bathrooms are outside the club (yet easily accessible on the 2nd floor).
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:25 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I would just pick whichever routing got me more MQMs. They are roughly interchangable, unless you have particular preferences.
ATOBTTR likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
I love DTW in the A concourse because you can walk past all the big jets in the middle of the day. The main center SkyClub can get rather busy but the food area was recently redone and is nice. And for a more substantial lunch I like going to Sora for Japanese food.
DeltaFan4Now likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DTW all the way
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
DTW all the way
I agree, DTW is a way nicer terminal to spend time in.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:50 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I like MSP but then I'm from there. The DTW SC are a bit nicer overall, even when crowded. Certainly DTW is more zen. Is the tram out of service?

At MSP, you can do the PGA via PP and get $15 worth of food or drink from the club or the neighboring restaurants (I usually get a salad for later from French Meadow). Then I believe you have access to the Escape club via AMEX Plat. Plus of course the DL clubs (I prefer C one since it's like the DTW club style).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I like MSP but then I'm from there. The DTW SC are a bit nicer overall, even when crowded. Certainly DTW is more zen. Is the tram out of service?

At MSP, you can do the PGA via PP and get $15 worth of food or drink from the club or the neighboring restaurants (I usually get a salad for later from French Meadow). Then I believe you have access to the Escape club via AMEX Plat. Plus of course the DL clubs (I prefer C one since it's like the DTW club style).
DTW tram is undergoing maintenance, and was down to one tram, vs the normal 2. But I swear last week I saw 2 trams running.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pvn
I would just pick whichever routing got me more MQMs. They are roughly interchangable, unless you have particular preferences.
If you had a really long layover, you might be able to fly between the hubs and back before your next segment.

If I had to choose, I would pick Detroit because the main Sky Club lounge has showers. The main Sky Club at Minneapolis doesn't have showers.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
If you have an AmEx platinum, then I’m another vote for MSP because of the Escape Lounge. Good food, okay booze, nice views.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I just can't warm up to MSP ever as a connecting hub. I don't like the rectangular gate layout, I'm not thrilled with the food and beverage choices (although DTW's aren't that impressive, either), and the big F/G SkyClub is just kind of meh.

If I lived in the area and used it for O/D, I'd probably love the access. For a short layover, I'll always pick DTW. For a long layover, I'd probably pick DTW as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.