Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-BOS Delta One Upgrade odds

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
You did not offend me. Instead, you made a fool out of yourself.
You seem to have missed the point.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
Bummer. The premium cabin price war has been a delight for those of us who fly this route often. It was fun while it lasted.
well, you can still fly UA. The J prices on this route is going to remain rock bottom for a long time.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Although I haven’t flown BOS-SFO, I do fly JFK-SFO with regularity and JFK-LAX at least quarterly. Based on my experience with those routes, I agree there are a lot of last minute D1 purchases for transcontinental flights. I’m often number 1 on the upgrade list for ~6 to ~8 seats at checkin, and more often than not number 1 for 0 seats at boarding. I haven’t kept careful stats, but I’d guess I’m upgraded around 25% of the time on these routes (DM + reserve card).
Presumably you've already used all your RUCs then, as it's a no-brainer to waitlist with an RUC for these flights at booking? You can always cancel it at the last minute if you think you'll get the Complimentary Upgrade, but why chance it?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by tphuang
well, you can still fly UA. The J prices on this route is going to remain rock bottom for a long time.
JetBlue Mint would be my first choice.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by audidudi
Presumably you've already used all your RUCs then, as it's a no-brainer to waitlist with an RUC for these flights at booking? You can always cancel it at the last minute if you think you'll get the Complimentary Upgrade, but why chance it?
I don’t take RUCs as a choice benefit. I was about to explain why, but refrained in the interest of not starting an OT tangent.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by acrophobia

I don’t take RUCs as a choice benefit. I was about to explain why, but refrained in the interest of not starting an OT tangent.
Fair enough! I choose both GUCs and RUCs as my Choice Benefits and have never had any remaining at the expiration date. I use the RUCs for Transcons, and the GUCs for International flights....the best CBs for me, as they save me $$$$ during the course of the year!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:07 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So you'll be in coach. Even as diamonds, we are at best 33% on D1. I'd set your expectations in coach and if the Gods, moon and the gold coins all line up...you'll be pleasantly surprised, rather than disappointed. Plus you'll know once you check in and check out the upgrade list on the app.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
So you'll be in coach. Even as diamonds, we are at best 33% on D1. I'd set your expectations in coach and if the Gods, moon and the gold coins all line up...you'll be pleasantly surprised, rather than disappointed. Plus you'll know once you check in and check out the upgrade list on the app.
Are you 33% in D1 overall or on BOS-SFO? They are having a hard time selling out D1 on BOS-SFO even at bargain basement prices, which is why they are switching it off D1. It looks to me on Wednesday, they have plenty of seats opens.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:49 am
Original Poster

I'd be shocked if diamonds are 33% on that route. My boss who I am traveling with is a diamond and I expect he'll be upgraded without a problem, especially on a Wednesday.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:36 pm

This DM flies this route 2x a month. I'll give you my anecdotal stats.....

I clear 50% of the time Tuesday,Wednesday. 0% chance on Monday/Thursday/Friday. 0% Saturday Westbound, 100% eastbound. Never flown it on a Sunday.

I've rarely seen more than 2-3 seats available for upgrade so forget it if you're a GM.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raje
This DM flies this route 2x a month. I'll give you my anecdotal stats.....

I clear 50% of the time Tuesday,Wednesday. 0% chance on Monday/Thursday/Friday. 0% Saturday Westbound, 100% eastbound. Never flown it on a Sunday.

I've rarely seen more than 2-3 seats available for upgrade so forget it if you're a GM.
Interesting insight, surprised to see it is still only 50/50 on Tues/Wed as a DM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.