Search

Just Made Diamond (First time at DM)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Just Made Diamond (First time at DM)

As the title states I just made DM for the first time. (PM for the past few years)

Should I expect anything different? (besides the published benefits like choice benefits) i.e. a legitimate chance at better upgrades etc.

My expectations are pretty low already from being a PM but wondering what life at DM is like.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:05 am

First congratulations on making you diamond, able your expectations are low but I'm sure you enjoy it, not much difference in platinum but at the end of all if there are certain improvements.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
This year is my first as DM after a decade or so of PM...

Things I’ve noticed:

GUCs are obviously a big perk. Just used mine yesterday for a trip next July. They *can* be difficult to use, given many posts on here but on 5 different routes getting me into Italy and back, there was OY=9 and the upgrades were confirmed immmediately.

AMEX Reserve / Sky Club guest privileges are really nice...

Others may disagree, but I’ve noticed a lot more “flexibility” in the Diamond Desk than the Platinum Desk. While I was a PM, they were great, now they’re awesome and can bend many rules, within reason.

I was stuck in TYO in IROPs this year. Flight canceled and almost 300 pax on a full 777 needed somewhere to stay and re-booking. I made my way to the Sky Club and as soon as I was about to enter, I got a phone call from Delta helping me to re-book the next day. They soon corralled the Sky Club guests (we were mostly DM) and whisked is off to an amazing hotel in DT TYO, comped all of our expenses and really took care of us. On top of that, I got back to the SC the next morning and was soon paged to the front desk where a very nice gentleman handed me my new boarding passes with an UG from PE to J. An outlier to be sure, but I felt like there was something extra for me as a DM.

That being said, the new AMEX spend requirements will make this my one and only year as a DM. I’m enjoying it all while I can though!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:28 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by vincentharris
hould I expect anything different? (besides the published benefits like choice benefits) i.e. a legitimate chance at better upgrades etc.
Not really, other than upgrade percentage (mine has gone from about 50% as a PM to a hair over 80% as a DM flying mostly the same routes and fare classes). I have had a lot of IRROPS this year but I was already getting great service as a PM, it hasn't been notably better this year but I can't really imagine it being any better.

The only unpublished DM benefit that you could realistically make use of is the ability to change to a co-terminal on a SDC.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Not really, other than upgrade percentage (mine has gone from about 50% as a PM to a hair over 80% as a DM flying mostly the same routes and fare classes). I have had a lot of IRROPS this year but I was already getting great service as a PM, it hasn't been notably better this year but I can't really imagine it being any better.

The only unpublished DM benefit that you could realistically make use of is the ability to change to a co-terminal on a SDC.

Can you explain the SDC coterminal benefit? Do you mean a different airport? TIA
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:53 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Troppy

Can you explain the SDC coterminal benefit? Do you mean a different airport? TIA
Airports that are near each other may be listed as "co-terminals". Common examples are DFW/DAL, ORD/MDW, DCA/IAD/BWI, LGA/JFK/EWR/SWF/HPN, SFO/OAK/SJC, MIA/FLL, etc.

Same day confirmed changes per policy can only be made to the same origin/destination (connection points can change but not end points), but Delta allows DMs to change a routing to different co-terminals.

Co-terminal changes are commonly allowed for IRROPs but not for normal changes - unless you're a DM (this is not a published benefit but I've never gotten pushback on it at all).

So, e.g., I've been booked on MEM-ATL-SJC and changed to MEM-MSP-SFO, or MEM-ATL-IAD to MEM-ATL-DCA.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
... upgrade percentage (mine has gone from about 50% as a PM to a hair over 80% as a DM flying mostly the same routes and fare classes ...
This. My upgrade percentage has dramatically improved (52% last year as a PM vs 87% this year as a DM). Also, most upgrades now clear at the 5-day window vs going to the gate.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Double post
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
As the title states I just made DM for the first time. (PM for the past few years)

Should I expect anything different? (besides the published benefits like choice benefits) i.e. a legitimate chance at better upgrades etc.

My expectations are pretty low already from being a PM but wondering what life at DM is like.
Did the pilots come out and teach you the DM handshake, and then let you fly the plane for a while?

Seriously, welcome. I will say, as an almost 10yr DM, this year has been much better than the past 5 or so for upgrades. I think DL has done a decent job of "thinning the herd". That being said, I'm at high risk of dropping to PM this year, so oh well...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I'm at high risk of dropping to PM this year, so oh well...
I will be honest getting the $15k in spend was hard fought, and included a lot of F purchases for personal travel. I had the MQM's for DM since early August but just finally crossed the $15k mark yesterday (I was $33 short when I boarded my flight yesterday so they were really counting every penny at DL to $15k)
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:20 pm

And of course the unpublished perk of having an FO carry your bags.. don't forget that one..
cpmp, puck021, DJMeatBall and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM
Congrats! First time DM for me as well this year. My experience with the DM support has been outstanding. They refunded me a cancelled award trip, even when I had no rights to the refund.

At the start of the year I had no idea that DM could be within my reach, but now I've "blown" by it at 170k MQMs (Amex Reserve!) and 17k MQD. What did it for me was having to open an office in AMS and doing quite a bit of SEA-AMS flights. If I book early enough I can spend about an additional $1,000-1,500 of my own money on Z tickets.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jeet
And of course the unpublished perk of having an FO carry your bags.. don't forget that one..
I wish you got to pick one person from the plane who then had to carry your stuff. The whole selection process would remove a lot of pain from boarding.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I will be honest getting the $15k in spend was hard fought, and included a lot of F purchases for personal travel. I had the MQM's for DM since early August but just finally crossed the $15k mark yesterday (I was $33 short when I boarded my flight yesterday so they were really counting every penny at DL to $15k)
I'm already over $17,500 in MQD (and should finish around 23-25K), but I'll likely come up 20-30 segments short. Oh well, games we play...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:55 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by puck021

I wish you got to pick one person from the plane who then had to carry your stuff. The whole selection process would remove a lot of pain from boarding.
Yeah GAs should line up all FOs in single file and invite diamonds to take their pick
Only problem is these days usually the equation is: diamonds > 2 x FOs which will lead to fights amongst diamonds
puck021 likes this.

Last edited by jeet; Sep 17, 2018 at 4:55 pm Reason: fixed typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.