Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Trip to Australia via ICN - How to fly only Skyteam?

Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

We are going to Perth, Australia for my niece's wedding in March, 2019. On the way there, we want to stop in ICN as that is where my husband and I met when he was in the Army and I was teaching English in Seoul. I am having difficulty finding Skyteam flights MSP to Perth. I'm really not crazy about flying KE or the Chinese airlines, I will if I have to. IIUC, VA has limited routes that qualify for MQMs. Taking a trip like that, we want the most miles possible.

I thought about doing a round the world ticket that we would go westbound going to Australia and continue home east bound via Europe so to get on KLM or AF on the way back to use the JV benefit aka my GM status. Does Skyteam offer such a ticket and is it cheaper than doing return the same route. To throw a monkey wrench in, my husband has to fly home before me.

Can anyone suggest a way to use as much Skyteam as possible for this trip? We don't have to stop in Seoul on the way back.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
Two ways:

China Airlines is very very good (Taiwan based) through TPE or you can fly KLM/AF eastbound. MSP-CDG-ICN-(onto australia)
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sparksals
I'm really not crazy about flying KE or the Chinese airlines, I will if I have to.
Delta partner (not a SkyTeam carrier) Virgin Australia doesn't fly to ICN, so, yes, you're going to need to fly a Chinese carrier.

You might look for MSP-xxx-ICN; ICN-CAN-PER on China Southern, and home PER-SYD-LAX-MSP on Virgin Australia+Delta.

Yes, SkyTeam has round the word tickets. MSP-ICN-PER-AMS (or CDG) - MSP could be a good value. Getting SkyTeam out of PER to Europe might take a segment (maybe PER-SIN operated by Qantas?) that isn't allowable on a SkyTeam RTW fare.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL 2MM GM
Garada Indonesia could be another option ICN-PER
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a new MSP-ICN flight operated by DL that's been announced. Have you checked whether it will operate when you need to travel? Otherwise, if you want to avoid KE TPAC flights to ICN, the obvious choices are to connect through hubs where DL has a nonstop to ICN, such as DTW, ATL, or IIRC SEA. You might also be able to take the MSP-HND nonstop and then do Tokyo-hub/hub-ICN on a suitable SkyTeam member, but doing this will waste a lot of time.

Once you're in ICN, the SkyTeam operated flights to PER that don't include at least one KE or Chinese partner are much more limited, but you might have more choices if you call DL to book (versus what's on delta.dumb) or use a real live human travel agent who can construct itineraries segment by segment, assuming that the carriers interline.

Note that the Virgins aren't SkyTeam members, just DL (and AF/KLM bilateral partners), so your choices will be very limited. Try looking at schedules for desirable (not KE and not a Chinese carrier) SkyTeam members that fly from ICN to somewhere in Asia and simultaneously such partners that serve PER.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta partner (not a SkyTeam carrier) Virgin Australia doesn't fly to ICN, so, yes, you're going to need to fly a Chinese carrier.

You might look for MSP-xxx-ICN; ICN-CAN-PER on China Southern, and home PER-SYD-LAX-MSP on Virgin Australia+Delta.

Yes, SkyTeam has round the word tickets. MSP-ICN-PER-AMS (or CDG) - MSP could be a good value. Getting SkyTeam out of PER to Europe might take a segment (maybe PER-SIN operated by Qantas?) that isn't allowable on a SkyTeam RTW fare.
thanks for that info. I tried doing MSP to ICN, staying for a few days, then ICN to PER and nothing came up. That was multiple city. I don't necessarily want to go back home via ICN. I did that on another trip a few years ago and it was excrutiating - PER/HKG/ICN/DFW/MSP on AA... horrible. The trip home can be a more direct way. Having trouble finding that.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crank1225
Thank you. Never thought of that.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are going to Perth, Australia for my niece's wedding in March, 2019. On the way there, we want to stop in ICN as that is where my husband and I met when he was in the Army and I was teaching English in Seoul. I am having difficulty finding Skyteam flights MSP to Perth. I'm really not crazy about flying KE or the Chinese airlines, I will if I have to. IIUC, VA has limited routes that qualify for MQMs. Taking a trip like that, we want the most miles possible.
Perth Airport info
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth_Airport
Perth Airport - Passengers

Separate cash paid tickets SIN-PER or PER-SIN may open up more opportunities
And DL fly SYD-LAX
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MSP-ICN...X&MS=wls&DU=mi

Seems like a good route for a RTW or round the pacific (which Oneworld has)
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's a new MSP-ICN flight operated by DL that's been announced. Have you checked whether it will operate when you need to travel? Otherwise, if you want to avoid KE TPAC flights to ICN, the obvious choices are to connect through hubs where DL has a nonstop to ICN, such as DTW, ATL, or IIRC SEA. You might also be able to take the MSP-HND nonstop and then do Tokyo-hub/hub-ICN on a suitable SkyTeam member, but doing this will waste a lot of time.

Once you're in ICN, the SkyTeam operated flights to PER that don't include at least one KE or Chinese partner are much more limited, but you might have more choices if you call DL to book (versus what's on delta.dumb) or use a real live human travel agent who can construct itineraries segment by segment, assuming that the carriers interline.

Note that the Virgins aren't SkyTeam members, just DL (and AF/KLM bilateral partners), so your choices will be very limited. Try looking at schedules for desirable (not KE and not a Chinese carrier) SkyTeam members that fly from ICN to somewhere in Asia and simultaneously such partners that serve PER.
This is what I'm finding for VA. I think China Air via Taipei might work to get us to Sydney, VA to perth, then another route home. Thanks for the info!

The nonstop from MSP to ICN doesn't start til Summer 2019. We can go via DTW or even ATL on the new flagship plane which is really desirable for us to check out!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by crank1225
I love GA. I was about to post them as a suggestion. One of the best airlines out, even better than the ME3 IMO. Currently in Asia and have used them for nearly all my intraAsia flying.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Perth Airport info
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth_Airport
Perth Airport - Passengers

Separate cash paid tickets SIN-PER or PER-SIN may open up more opportunities
And DL fly SYD-LAX
Great Circle Mapper

Seems like a good route for a RTW or round the pacific (which Oneworld has)
Wow! Thanks for that Great Circle Map!!! So helpful!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I love GA. I was about to post them as a suggestion. One of the best airlines out, even better than the ME3 IMO. Currently in Asia and have used them for nearly all my intraAsia flying.
Thanks for that feedback on the quality of Garuda!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for that feedback on the quality of Garuda!
To soothe your fears, the GA of today is totally different and separately owned company of GA of past. The GA of past had awful safety record. The new GA is truly a world class airline. However some people post as if GA of 20 years ago was the GA of today.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO
+1

GA is probably the best airline in SkyTeam.

VN is also strong and has excellent in flight product and service (on the ground, not so much).

I would go with GA, VN, CI, MF, KE, CZ, MU - in that order.

SkyTeam has by far the strongest coverage of any alliance in Asia, so there are options galore to go from ICN to PER. And many interesting extra stops are possible, like going ICN-DPS on GA, stop a few days there, then take one of the many LCC flights DPS-PER. That way also (US-DPS / DPS-US) it's a through-fare on an award flight. That's really the best way to go to Australia, esp. Western Australia, IMO, on a SkyTeam award.
sparksals likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RealHJ
+1

GA is probably the best airline in SkyTeam.

VN is also strong and has excellent in flight product and service (on the ground, not so much).

I would go with GA, VN, CI, MF, KE, CZ, MU - in that order.

SkyTeam has by far the strongest coverage of any alliance in Asia, so there are options galore to go from ICN to PER. And many interesting extra stops are possible, like going ICN-DPS on GA, stop a few days there, then take one of the many LCC flights DPS-PER. That way also (US-DPS / DPS-US) it's a through-fare on an award flight. That's really the best way to go to Australia, esp. Western Australia, IMO, on a SkyTeam award.
Other issue with VN is the long connection times at Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. You also won't be allowed to leave the airport without a visa. Visa must be applied for before departure. While they can give visa on arrival, you must submit paperwork before departure through approved agency, be approved, and receive approval letter before boarding plane to VN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.