Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Trip to Australia via ICN - How to fly only Skyteam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to Australia via ICN - How to fly only Skyteam?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geminidreams
I find it difficult to believe you would contemplate Garuda and not KoreanAir. There are limited options flying to Perth, Garuda and China Southern. Flying into Singapore or Bangkok is a better option than flying to the east coast of Australia for a connection as both are similar distance but better experience on an international flight than domestic.
I lived in Korea for 4 years at the time that KE lost it's landing privileges in YVR and I think LAX back in around 2001. Many of the pilots/staff did not speak english and on Sept 11, the language barrier made ATC think that the KE flight was being attacked. This is because in Korean English, YES and NO responses are opposite depending on how the question is asked. The hierarchy system in Korea transmits to the airline as well, similar to what happened on the Asiana Flight that crashed at SFO a few years ago.

My avoidance of KE is strictly for my own personal reasons.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
If you don't mind me saying that is a long way to get to PER from ICN. I would just go with whatever airline suits they're all pretty much the same out of Asia, just get the one with the max Skymiles benefit.

Now if you want to go back PER-SYD-LAX-MSP that sounds like a good choice.
Thanks for that. I'm looking at Garuda b/c Bali is a very common place for Australians to vacation. Lots of flights, so that may be my best option. Will be looking tonight.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
CI (China "Taiwanese" Airline) is really a nice airline, professional friendly service and TPE is a nice spot to connect. Their lounges have a small dim sum offering plus made to order noodle bar (make sure to get yams from the covered clay pot).

VA is also lovely in that the service is great, I believe you'll have domestic lounge access (double check that) as a GM. It's a Delta partner so you'll get "first" tier partner benefits.
Thank you!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
KE has always had extremely hot, stuffy, uncomfortable cabins (even in your thinnest clothes you are guaranteed to stick to the seat, and water is given in tiny little cups less than 1/3 full - so prepare to be exhausted, dehydrated, and unable to sleep due to the heat). Otherwise used to be good, but as of late it's gone way, way downhill in terms of in flight service, food, etc.

CI is far superior to KE nowadays, for both in air and and on the ground (CI lounges at TPE are some of the best of any SkyTeam lounges, esp. in terms of food).
A few years ago, would have been may be a tie, but not anymore given how rapidly KE has went downhill the last few years in all aspects.
I can explain why they are hot and stuffy. Korea is very regimented. They don't turn the AC on until May1 and it goes off Aug 31, no matter the outside temp. The outdoor hotel pools also close same dates even though it is quite hot until mid october. I always broiled on the subway and in classes I couldn't control the AC. I imagine the airline is similar.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
HAHA -- I'm a big DL fanboy these days but this is not true. *A has much stronger Asia coverage with CA / BR / NH / OZ / TG / NZ / SQ.

Anyway OP you said up front you want to maximize your miles on this trip. That will only happen if you fly the Tier 1 partners: AF / KL / KE / MU / VA.

Why not break it into two RT: USA - ICN on DL and then ICN - PER on KE?

Unless you want to go to Vietnam I'm not sure it's worth adding the stop just to avoid KE - especially if you are flying in Y
Looking at flights, it looks like KE is the codeshare for Garuda from ICN. It may be unavoidable to do KE. Looking at CHina airlines is the same thing. I may have to quell my fears and hope for the best.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by sparksals
I can explain why they are hot and stuffy. Korea is very regimented. They don't turn the AC on until May1 and it goes off Aug 31, no matter the outside temp. The outdoor hotel pools also close same dates even though it is quite hot until mid october. I always broiled on the subway and in classes I couldn't control the AC. I imagine the airline is similar.
Just in general even when it's warm outside, many people in Korea will be dressed in warms multi-layer puffy jackets &c., and plus there's the jimjilbang culture. I think that Koreans (and to a lesser degree Japanese) just like stuffy and uncomfortably hot temperatures in general and simply don't sweat when it's hot, as most others do (that's my speculation, at least). To me that is #1 reason to avoid KE (and OZ, where it's made worse by the sickly perfume they spray in the cabins, so it smells even worse than department store ground floor). I mean you can ask FAs to turn down the temp, they may set it down from 26C to 25C, but that is still very warm.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I posted this above. Guess you missed it.
While GA has improved, the rest of your post is kind of misleading as ownership hasn’t really changed - it is still majority owned and controlled by the state.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Interesting that everyone keeps taking about airlines that won't get you to Perth...

There are only two Skyteam members that fly into PER, GA and CZ, neither of which will provide you with full MQM's, which I assume are important to you since you mention MQM's in your original post. As far as I know, there's no way to get DL flight numbers into Perth without flying VA from the east coast of Australia as part of a TPAC itinerary from the U.S., so booking directly with Delta won't help and neither will booking all of this on one PNR.

I highly doubt you'll be able to Delta's website to pull up any itinerary MSP-PER via ICN. Doing a one way test, MSP-ICN, ICN-PER on ITA, came up quite expensive, $8K+. But, an open jaw, MSP-DTW-ICN, PER-SYD-LAX-MSP, was quite reasonable. Of course you'd then need to book a one way ICN-PER, either via CAN or CGK. GA looks to be 24+ hours with a lengthy stop in Jakarta. CZ is shorter, 14+ hours, but several of the flights I saw were Asiana ICN-CAN, so no miles for that flight. I did see one ICN-CAN on KE though.

If you're looking to try new airlines, and time/money/MQM is of no concern, you could try piecing together your itinerary on CI or VN to CAN or CGK, then CZ or GA from their respective hubs.

Note, GA also flies DPS-PER but I didn't see ICN-DPS. I suppose you could do ICN-PVG/TPE/CAN-DPS-PER.

A final note, MU is a full tier one partner and not at all a bab airline. I've flown them several times this year, including JFK-PVG-SYD. You can do ICN-PVG-SYD-PER. Granted SYD-PER is on Qantas, so no Skymiles for this long flight, but an option nonetheless. You could even do MU ICN-PVG-SYD then VA on a separate ticket to Perth. With VA, your restriction for earning isn't route dependant but flight number, and it doesn't look like this is actually an issue for any flights you'd want to take.

Basically, I see this as an open jaw with Delta, and a second ticket to get you from Seoul to Perth. None of these options were on KE btw.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Perth Airport info
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth_Airport
Perth Airport - Passengers

Separate cash paid tickets SIN-PER or PER-SIN may open up more opportunities
And DL fly SYD-LAX
Great Circle Mapper

Seems like a good route for a RTW or round the pacific (which Oneworld has)
Does DL still have the Pacific Circle fares? PMNW did and they were a good alternative to going home via Europe on a RTW. They were perfect for combining Asia and Australia on the same trip.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does DL still have the Pacific Circle fares? PMNW did and they were a good alternative to going home via Europe on a RTW. They were perfect for combining Asia and Australia on the same trip.
https://www.skyteam.com/en/business-...hwest-pacific/
Listed on the skyteam www site -- lots of details, but not pricing.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I did my Pacific Circles, PMNW was partnered with at least JAL and QF for this purpose, although it was not fun to change terminals at NRT. I also got QF lounge access in Australia even for my domestic travel days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.