Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Trip to Australia via ICN - How to fly only Skyteam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to Australia via ICN - How to fly only Skyteam?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I find it difficult to believe you would contemplate Garuda and not KoreanAir. There are limited options flying to Perth, Garuda and China Southern. Flying into Singapore or Bangkok is a better option than flying to the east coast of Australia for a connection as both are similar distance but better experience on an international flight than domestic.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Other issue with VN is the long connection times at Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. You also won't be allowed to leave the airport without a visa. Visa must be applied for before departure. While they can give visa on arrival, you must submit paperwork before departure through approved agency, be approved, and receive approval letter before boarding plane to VN.
Vietnam visa takes like 5 minutes to get online, it's easy and quick, and very cheap. Then yes there is a bit of a line, but it's very fast and efficient, to get the actual printed visa sticker in the passport at the airport (the inbound tourists volume is huge, but the people doing the visas do about 5 of them per minute).

VN has a lot of flights (more than most other airlines) w/in Asia, even to/from secondary airports 3-4 daily flights (e.g. 1 or 2 to each HAN and SGN), so connections are not necessarily that long, just it often involves short(ish) night-time flights in one direction at least, which can be tiresome.

Also the airports there leave quite a bit to be desired. Last time I was at HAN, the lounge was...underwhelming. Fine for a short while, but right next to it was just unfinished shell space, so just feels kind of odd, a bit humid, and just palatable food (quite unlike in flight where VN is truly top notch and has the second best J-class food in SkyTeam after GA IME).
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by sparksals
This is what I'm finding for VA. I think China Air via Taipei might work to get us to Sydney, VA to perth, then another route home. Thanks for the info!
If you don't mind me saying that is a long way to get to PER from ICN. I would just go with whatever airline suits they're all pretty much the same out of Asia, just get the one with the max Skymiles benefit.

Now if you want to go back PER-SYD-LAX-MSP that sounds like a good choice.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Vietnam visa takes like 5 minutes to get online, it's easy and quick, and very cheap. Then yes there is a bit of a line, but it's very fast and efficient, to get the actual printed visa sticker in the passport at the airport (the inbound tourists volume is huge, but the people doing the visas do about 5 of them per minute).

VN has a lot of flights (more than most other airlines) w/in Asia, even to/from secondary airports 3-4 daily flights (e.g. 1 or 2 to each HAN and SGN), so connections are not necessarily that long, just it often involves short(ish) night-time flights in one direction at least, which can be tiresome.

Also the airports there leave quite a bit to be desired. Last time I was at HAN, the lounge was...underwhelming. Fine for a short while, but right next to it was just unfinished shell space, so just feels kind of odd, a bit humid, and just palatable food (quite unlike in flight where VN is truly top notch and has the second best J-class food in SkyTeam after GA IME).
Every booking I've ever seen involves a lengthy at least 5 hour connection. The visa process was a PITA last time I needed one. Long lines to pickup and pay for the visa. At least at that time you had to apply before taking off for VN, it had to be through a VN TA, and you had to have the approval letter in hand, printed out (no simply showing the PDF on your phone) before boarding.

Agree on lounges. VN is great in air, on ground at airport in VN, not so much.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:09 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
CI (China "Taiwanese" Airline) is really a nice airline, professional friendly service and TPE is a nice spot to connect. Their lounges have a small dim sum offering plus made to order noodle bar (make sure to get yams from the covered clay pot).

VA is also lovely in that the service is great, I believe you'll have domestic lounge access (double check that) as a GM. It's a Delta partner so you'll get "first" tier partner benefits.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Every booking I've ever seen involves a lengthy at least 5 hour connection. The visa process was a PITA last time I needed one. Long lines to pickup and pay for the visa. At least at that time you had to apply before taking off for VN, it had to be through a VN TA, and you had to have the approval letter in hand, printed out (no simply showing the PDF on your phone) before boarding.

Agree on lounges. VN is great in air, on ground at airport in VN, not so much.
5 hours is still better than the often unavoidable ~10h connections at ATL, SLC, MSP for int'l flights...but that is OT.

VN visa online application is done by a number of authorized parties, very competitive rates...but yes, the pick-up at HAN or SGN can seem a bit chaotic (in reality it's faster than it looks, as they are very fast and efficient). 5 hours is not enough time to go out anyway given the traffic and distances. VN does have free transit tours, hotel, meals for transit pax, but you only get that on certain itineraries (like from Australia to EU) when there are no closer-in flights. IMO it's a great value to book a longer (10+, even better if 20+) hour layover with VN if it qualifies for the free transit tour/hotel/etc. VN is one of few airlines to do that still (QR used to - well just hotel and meals, no tour, for transit pax -, but last time I checked don't do that anymore), and you get a good choice of itineraries and from what I recall seeing printed they also put you in good hotels.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: AA Exp
Not sure why there is so little love for KE here. Think they are as good if not better than CI.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by gnargel
Not sure why there is so little love for KE here. Think they are as good if not better than CI.
KE has always had extremely hot, stuffy, uncomfortable cabins (even in your thinnest clothes you are guaranteed to stick to the seat, and water is given in tiny little cups less than 1/3 full - so prepare to be exhausted, dehydrated, and unable to sleep due to the heat). Otherwise used to be good, but as of late it's gone way, way downhill in terms of in flight service, food, etc.

CI is far superior to KE nowadays, for both in air and and on the ground (CI lounges at TPE are some of the best of any SkyTeam lounges, esp. in terms of food).
A few years ago, would have been may be a tie, but not anymore given how rapidly KE has went downhill the last few years in all aspects.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
I love GA. I was about to post them as a suggestion. One of the best airlines out, even better than the ME3 IMO. Currently in Asia and have used them for nearly all my intraAsia flying.
Didn't they have a poor safety record before? I assume they have addressed these issues with no incidents of late?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Didn't they have a poor safety record before? I assume they have addressed these issues with no incidents of late?
I posted this above. Guess you missed it.

To soothe your fears, the GA of today is totally different and separately owned company of GA of past. The GA of past had awful safety record. The new GA is truly a world class airline. However some people post as if GA of 20 years ago was the GA of today.
Saint4805 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
I posted this above. Guess you missed it.
The great (and recent) reviews on Skytrax certainly support your view.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Other issue with VN is the long connection times at Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. You also won't be allowed to leave the airport without a visa. Visa must be applied for before departure. While they can give visa on arrival, you must submit paperwork before departure through approved agency, be approved, and receive approval letter before boarding plane to VN.
Although you need to submit the Vietnam visa paperwork in advance, it is a pretty simple process online and I've had no problems x3. The last was for a multi-entry 3 or 6 month visa as I got a great J fare LHR-Oz on VN (and earned MQD based on 20% of distance flown). Built in a 5 day stop in HAN on the outbound and 1 night in SGN on the return -- stayed in Oz for 5 weeks so needed multi-month, multi-entry. On some of the long layovers, VN actually provides day tours and even hotel rooms. Depends on the fare and ticket -- you need to talk withaa VN office to add it.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
+1

GA is probably the best airline in SkyTeam.

VN is also strong and has excellent in flight product and service (on the ground, not so much).

I would go with GA, VN, CI, MF, KE, CZ, MU - in that order.

SkyTeam has by far the strongest coverage of any alliance in Asia, so there are options galore to go from ICN to PER. And many interesting extra stops are possible, like going ICN-DPS on GA, stop a few days there, then take one of the many LCC flights DPS-PER. That way also (US-DPS / DPS-US) it's a through-fare on an award flight. That's really the best way to go to Australia, esp. Western Australia, IMO, on a SkyTeam award.
HAHA -- I'm a big DL fanboy these days but this is not true. *A has much stronger Asia coverage with CA / BR / NH / OZ / TG / NZ / SQ.

Anyway OP you said up front you want to maximize your miles on this trip. That will only happen if you fly the Tier 1 partners: AF / KL / KE / MU / VA.

Why not break it into two RT: USA - ICN on DL and then ICN - PER on KE?

Unless you want to go to Vietnam I'm not sure it's worth adding the stop just to avoid KE - especially if you are flying in Y
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

To soothe your fears, the GA of today is totally different and separately owned company of GA of past. The GA of past had awful safety record. The new GA is truly a world class airline. However some people post as if GA of 20 years ago was the GA of today.
To be honest, that was my fear.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

+1

GA is probably the best airline in SkyTeam.

VN is also strong and has excellent in flight product and service (on the ground, not so much).

I would go with GA, VN, CI, MF, KE, CZ, MU - in that order.

SkyTeam has by far the strongest coverage of any alliance in Asia, so there are options galore to go from ICN to PER. And many interesting extra stops are possible, like going ICN-DPS on GA, stop a few days there, then take one of the many LCC flights DPS-PER. That way also (US-DPS / DPS-US) it's a through-fare on an award flight. That's really the best way to go to Australia, esp. Western Australia, IMO, on a SkyTeam award.
Thank you so much for those suggestions. I never would have thought to choose GA. Wish we had time to stop in Bali at some point. Hubby has limited leave, I will be staying longer and he will have to return before me, otherwise, we would do a stop there. Always plan to go back since my sister, niece and two grand nephews live in perth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.