Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NYC-ICN worth the extra stop to fly DL A350 in J vs. KE A380?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM

Hi all,

Planning an upcoming trip to ICN next month and need to decide between the non-stop KE A380, or a 1-stop (ATL) DL A350?
Is the A350 delta one "suite" worth the hassle of a stop? Seatguru does make the A350 look better on all fronts, but not sure if it's as good in reality as on paper?

Timing wise I obviously lose ~5hrs, but that may be ok. Miles wise I can book the KE flight as a DL codeshare, 006 ticket, so that shouldn't make a difference either.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mayhem
Timing wise I obviously lose ~5hrs, but that may be ok. Miles wise I can book the KE flight as a DL codeshare, 006 ticket, so that shouldn't make a difference either.

Thanks!
I can't comment on the experience, but you can earn on KE flights now since the JV, so it might be worth checking out the pop up chart on the partner earnings page -- depending on the ticket costs and the relative importance to you of MQDs vs RDMs etc you might actually want to book the native KE flight number.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
I can't comment on the experience, but you can earn on KE flights now since the JV, so it might be worth checking out the pop up chart on the partner earnings page -- depending on the ticket costs and the relative importance to you of MQDs vs RDMs etc you might actually want to book the native KE flight number.
If I'd fly on KE I'd book it through delta, so mileage doesn't differ too much here, I'd actually earn slightly more when flying over ATL...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:43 am

I do not think KE 380 has Apex suites, so it will be regular 2+2+2 lie flat, so DL 350 would have much better seat, which is important for a long flight.

On the other hand I find that food and service on KE to be much better compared to DL (I know some may diasgree about food). I also like the bar area upstairs and duty free area downstairs on KE 380 --- cool places to hang around, have a drink and chat.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
I am not sure if I'd backtrack up to 2-3 hours for A350 - but that's just me.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I was rebooked in IROPs onto the KE A380 JFK-ICN that leaves around midnight, it was 2-2-2 seating in business class with seats that didn't quite recline far enough to be a true flat bed. I was not impressed, but it would have been far worse if the cabin had been full. [Moreover, the cabin had a bar, but a FA told me that I could NOT have a glass of wine there, only one of their cocktails, even though the only other person using it was just sitting there with a laptop and NO drink at all. If this doesn't make sense to you, it didn't make sense either to me.]
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
[Moreover, the cabin had a bar, but a FA told me that I could NOT have a glass of wine there, only one of their cocktails, even though the only other person using it was just sitting there with a laptop and NO drink at all. If this doesn't make sense to you, it didn't make sense either to me.]
Maybe that other person had tried to get a glass of wine too.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AntonS
I do not think KE 380 has Apex suites, so it will be regular 2+2+2 lie flat, so DL 350 would have much better seat, which is important for a long flight.
And it's not a true lie-flat. I'd make the extra stop to avoid the 380. Note you could also route via DTW (350) or take KE via ATL (748).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Also if heat intolerant or even just like it normal temperature take DL. KE is well known for keeping cabins very toasty.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I was rebooked in IROPs onto the KE A380 JFK-ICN that leaves around midnight, it was 2-2-2 seating in business class with seats that didn't quite recline far enough to be a true flat bed. I was not impressed, but it would have been far worse if the cabin had been full. [Moreover, the cabin had a bar, but a FA told me that I could NOT have a glass of wine there, only one of their cocktails, even though the only other person using it was just sitting there with a laptop and NO drink at all. If this doesn't make sense to you, it didn't make sense either to me.]
The KE bar is a joke.

On the plus side for KE, some of the bathrooms on the A380 are huge.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette
The KE bar is a joke.
What? I loved the KE bar. I met a lot of interesting people and chatted for hours, it was a perfect way to pass the time. The drinks were good (ok, the menu was limited, but I never got bored) and the bartender was funny. Made a friend at the bar and we still keep in touch.

That said, the DL A350 seat is much better. If your goal is to socialize, go with KE. If you goal is to sleep or watch movies, definitely DL.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by pbarnette

The KE bar is a joke.

On the plus side for KE, some of the bathrooms on the A380 are huge.
its a plane. Calling it a joke is a little harsh. I enjoyed the novelty and its the only bar i have been to that had seat belts. I agree the bathroom near the bar was huge
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
And it's not a true lie-flat. I'd make the extra stop to avoid the 380. Note you could also route via DTW (350) or take KE via ATL (748).
Thanks! I'll be going over DTW indeed, adding not even 2hrs to the total journey. I am a bit surprised that they allow a minimum connection of just 44 minutes.
Will keep the 748 KE as a backup in mind in case something changes. I saw it also flies to SFO, so a JFK-SFO-ICN is an option (although that one is less efficient).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:38 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
connecting in SFO will require a terminal change and re-clearing security. Also the skyteam lounge situation in the SFO international terminal is... bad. It definitely can be a good option for IRROPS, though.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mayhem
Thanks! I'll be going over DTW indeed, adding not even 2hrs to the total journey. I am a bit surprised that they allow a minimum connection of just 44 minutes.
Will keep the 748 KE as a backup in mind in case something changes. I saw it also flies to SFO, so a JFK-SFO-ICN is an option (although that one is less efficient).
Wow, given all the options available to you, I personally would not book a 44 min connection to an international flight. If there's a delay after you board in JFK, then you're stuck flying to DTW, with few good options

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.