Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need to catch a cruise, would you fly Delta or B6 from Boston to Fort Lauderdale?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need to catch a cruise, would you fly Delta or B6 from Boston to Fort Lauderdale?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
On AA I’m showing a 6 pm via CLT that gets into FLL around midnight. Might be worth checking out too. Then you wouldn’t have to deal with a bus ride to BOS and worry about traffic especially in rush hour and possible winter weather.
I have to correct this as I was going to screenshot the schedule to post and then realized an error. The 6:10 pm via CLT was only available on Friday, 21 December. It is not offered on the 20th. However, there were options after 5 pm available out of PWM via other hubs and to be honest, I would recommend those one of those.

If the weather is forecasted to be bad in the days leading up to your trip - either in PWM or at your connecting hub, the airline should offer a weather waiver and then you should be able to switch to another option. You could even switch to something out of BOS if need be. (For example, if you have PWM-PHL-FLL and there's a weather waiver due to forecasted bad weather in PHL, BOS-CLT-FLL or BOS-MIA or something would almost certainly be a reasonable alternate option to get you to southern Florida).

I'll also recommend the trip insurance for protection but ensure you get one that covers weather related events.

ETA: Don’t know how early you can depart PWM (I would presume well before 5 pm since you were saying 5 pm for BOS, which included the bus ride to BOS). There’s an option on UA via IAD (Washington-Dulles) that departs PWM at 2:15 pm and gets into FLL at 8:30 pm. ~90 min layover at IAD.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Sep 16, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

I have to correct this as I was going to screenshot the schedule to post and then realized an error. The 6:10 pm via CLT was only available on Friday, 21 December. It is not offered on the 20th. However, there were options after 5 pm available out of PWM via other hubs and to be honest, I would recommend those one of those.

If the weather is forecasted to be bad in the days leading up to your trip - either in PWM or at your connecting hub, the airline should offer a weather waiver and then you should be able to switch to another option. You could even switch to something out of BOS if need be. (For example, if you have PWM-PHL-FLL and there's a weather waiver due to forecasted bad weather in PHL, BOS-CLT-FLL or BOS-MIA or something would almost certainly be a reasonable alternate option to get you to southern Florida).

I'll also recommend the trip insurance for protection but ensure you get one that covers weather related events.

ETA: Don’t know how early you can depart PWM (I would presume well before 5 pm since you were saying 5 pm for BOS, which included the bus ride to BOS). There’s an option on UA via IAD (Washington-Dulles) that departs PWM at 2:15 pm and gets into FLL at 8:30 pm. ~90 min layover at IAD.
Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to book out of PWM. I can probably make the PWM-IAD-FLL flight at 2:15. I also think there are fewer delays in Dulles than Newark. Plus, as you say, I can always get re-routed of our Boston if the PWM flight is cancelled.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by guv1976
In the event of IRROPS, DL will protect you by rebooking on AA or UA if necessary; B6 won't.
In OP's scenario, absolutely, positively stay away from JetBlue. In the event of weather or tech delays / cancels, B6 leaves you on your own. I have had enough B6 failures in mission-critical situations that I only book JetBlue now if it doesn't really matter when I get there. Do not risk it when you have a boat to catch.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to book out of PWM. I can probably make the PWM-IAD-FLL flight at 2:15. I also think there are fewer delays in Dulles than Newark. Plus, as you say, I can always get re-routed of our Boston if the PWM flight is cancelled.
The AA option through PHL leaving at 5:44 PM may be a bit safer, as it's all mainline (on United it would be a CR2 to IAD). AA is also quite a bit cheaper.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
I would definitely book DL. Even if FLL is canceled, DL has so many other flights as well as ATL - MIA and ATL - PBI. Jetblue doesn't fly into MIA, and their PBI flights basically require a NYC connection (BOS has some, but not good frequency). Like others said, DL will also interline to UA/AA. In the absolute worst case, it's a 9hr drive from ATL to MIA LOL.

Given you need to get there before your cruise, I'd definitely trust DL in this situation. Agreed with others to also look into UA/AA, esp if you have miles.
This. Delta will take care of you in IRROPS and has numerous flights into alternate airports within a few hours proximity to FLL. In my experience, JetBlue has frequent delays in/out of South Florida and does a poor job of communicating or providing alternates. When I used to have monthly trips to Boston from S. Florida, I gave up on JetBlue’s nonstops after the 4th month in a row of lengthy (3-4 hour) delays and switched to the connecting flights on DL.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1 on the B6 will leave you high and dry in IRROPs, and modest chance of that in late December (probably not as bad as Jan/Feb though). B6 is quick to cancel flights in bad weather, and probably won't be able to rebook you until 3 days later. Just happened to my parents coming from FL to EWR in August. It was very stressful, but fortunately not $$$$.

However, that's a busy travel period to Florida and even DL may have a hard time re-accommodating you. AA might be a better choice because they have PHL, CLT and DCA alternatives (though not DCA-FLL, you'd have to do MIA or PBI), whereas DL really only has ATL (NYC would probably, though not necessarily, have similar issues to BOS).

I would probably recommend travel insurance, though I'm not entirely sure if it's normal practice to cover the fare differential if you have to buy a last-minute fare out-of-pocket due to a weather cancellation.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
The cruise on the 21st leaves at 5pm. I probably should be at the cruise terminal no later than 3:30pm. That does give me some time in the morning to get to FLL if I am delayed on the 20th. I had not thought of AA. I will give them a look. In fact, I have never flown AA (only US Airways)!

With a 5pm departure, you have to be onboard no later than 3:30pm or you will be standing onshore waving goodbye to your ship.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:35 am

this fear over irrop stuff is getting out of control. B6 has a billion flights to FLL out of North East. If all of the 5 or 6 flights BOS-FLL get canceled, there are still 6 flights a day to JFK/EWR/LGA each + 10 to DCA, which will allow you to transit to any number of FLL flights.

I've taken many flights with B6 and never had an issue outside being late sometimes.

If you are worried about JetBlue flight being late, book the earliest BOS-FLL flight of the morning. How often do you think they are 5 hours late?

This forum is getting so ridiculous.

Edited: I've actual done a search on google of all the flights on that day getting to FLL by 3 pm and of duration < 9 hours.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=B...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o
There are 3 non-stop flights on B6 + 2 connection. All of them get there before 1:30.

There are 1 direct flight on DL + 4 connection itinerary (including 2 going through NYC airports). Only one of which is over ATL. I would say the additional flexibility through ATL is a fiction

Last edited by tphuang; Sep 17, 2018 at 11:49 am
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by pbjag

This. Delta will take care of you in IRROPS and has numerous flights into alternate airports within a few hours proximity to FLL. In my experience, JetBlue has frequent delays in/out of South Florida and does a poor job of communicating or providing alternates. When I used to have monthly trips to Boston from S. Florida, I gave up on JetBlue’s nonstops after the 4th month in a row of lengthy (3-4 hour) delays and switched to the connecting flights on DL.
If he leaves at 6 am and the flight is 4 hours late, he will still get there with plenty of time to spare and get there just an hour later than if he had made a connection at ATL.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tphuang
this fear over irrop stuff is getting out of control... This forum is getting so ridiculous.
People aren't making this stuff up. This is years of experience talking. And my years of experience with B6 say, stay off B6 in mission/time-critical situations.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
People aren't making this stuff up. This is years of experience talking. And my years of experience with B6 say, stay off B6 in mission/time-critical situations.
but here is the thing. They don't cancel many flights in December.
JetBlue | JetBlue Airways Reports December Traffic
last December, they completed 99.8% of flights.

And they are also quite on time on the early morning flights. It's the later flights that they struggle with, especially when weather is bad. And more recently, their BOS OTP has been better than average for that airport.

For example, B6 569 the first flight of the day on BOS-FLL is on time 81% of time https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...ing/B6/569/BOS
and average delay is 25 min.

It's kind of ridiculous to worry about a flight like that being 5 hours late when that has not happened in the 2 months that it's been measured.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I doubt I would book with cruiseline. They just book a flight and give you very little options. And, if you want to go a day early (VERY SMART MOVE), they usually charge extra. We have done 20 cruises and never booked with cruise line. And doubt we ever will. And, if your flight does not arrive in time, the ship will still sail. You will NEVER get that first day or two back.

Nonstop sounds great, but the conerns about irrops in December are worth a concern.

Baggage? We do 2 weeks cruises now with carry on - LOL!
Booking through the cruise line isn't necessarily that bad of a thing depending on the cruise line. I know these days the system that Princess uses is actually pretty transparent, and you select the actual flights that you want, and if you're choosing the flexible fares option, you have a lot of flexibility up until a certain number of days before the cruise (i want to say 45?). While I still don't do it very often, I have booked flights through them as a result. I've especially had pretty good luck at getting fairly reasonable priced business class fares to europe by going this method (and with the flexibility, I can keep watching for a lower fare and switch to that). I think with some airlines you don't get as much access into the booked itinerary as others, but I know with Delta, it immediately shows up in my trips and I can change seats and stuff right in the delta site.

(I do find that booking through the cruise line tends to be a more reasonable option for an international trip, and that domestically it doesn't tend to work out quite as well. That said, I do currently have my cruise for december booked through the cruise line - price was slightly cheaper for the same flight on delta, and since we're stuck flying out the day of the cruise on this trip, having the potential to get help from the cruise line is somewhat reassuring. I've never had to deal with needing that in the past, and hope I never do, but I *have* been one of the last people to board a ship before departure, even when I had flights booked for the day before.)

And personally, personally, I can care less if someone can do a 2 week cruise with carry ons. Good for you. Not everyone wants to deal with that. Hell, personally I carry a carryon full of camera gear, which severely limits the ability to pack clothing in one.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tphuang
this fear over irrop stuff is getting out of control. B6 has a billion flights to FLL out of North East. If all of the 5 or 6 flights BOS-FLL get canceled, there are still 6 flights a day to JFK/EWR/LGA each + 10 to DCA, which will allow you to transit to any number of FLL flights.

I've taken many flights with B6 and never had an issue outside being late sometimes.

If you are worried about JetBlue flight being late, book the earliest BOS-FLL flight of the morning. How often do you think they are 5 hours late?

This forum is getting so ridiculous.

Edited: I've actual done a search on google of all the flights on that day getting to FLL by 3 pm and of duration < 9 hours.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=B...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o
There are 3 non-stop flights on B6 + 2 connection. All of them get there before 1:30.

There are 1 direct flight on DL + 4 connection itinerary (including 2 going through NYC airports). Only one of which is over ATL. I would say the additional flexibility through ATL is a fiction
Have you not read the intervening posts?

The OP is going to leave from PWM now and avoid taking an unreliable bus to BOS. B6 is out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.