Wiki Posts
Search

FO Priority Check-In Denied at PDX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
FO Priority Check-In Denied at PDX

Background: I was checking bags on a flight departing from PDX on DL, as a FO. At the checkin counter there were two lines, one for Sky Priority and one for everyone else. There was not the third separate FO checkin line that exists at the Delta Hubs.

As I entered the SkyPriorty line, I was denied entry by the staff because, as I was told “Silvers have to use the regular line”. I briefly argued but got no where. So I just waited in the regular line and eventually checked my bags.

I am not fishing for miles, but rather just want what few benefits FOs are awarded to be given. As a lowly FO on Delta that basically earns all my MQM through out of pocket spending, I do value what limited benefits FOs are given, including less wasted time by standing in the general check in lane.

Any suggestions on the best way to complain to Delta? I worry that calling the general SkyMiles line will just result in (at best) a token “we’re sorry” miles gift, but that I would encounter the same situation in the future.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kavok
Background: I was checking bags on a flight departing from PDX on DL, as a FO. At the checkin counter there were two lines, one for Sky Priority and one for everyone else. There was not the third separate FO checkin line that exists at the Delta Hubs.

As I entered the SkyPriorty line, I was denied entry by the staff because, as I was told “Silvers have to use the regular line”. I briefly argued but got no where. So I just waited in the regular line and eventually checked my bags.

I am not fishing for miles, but rather just want what few benefits FOs are awarded to be given. As a lowly FO on Delta that basically earns all my MQM through out of pocket spending, I do value what limited benefits FOs are given, including less wasted time by standing in the general check in lane.

Any suggestions on the best way to complain to Delta? I worry that calling the general SkyMiles line will just result in (at best) a token “we’re sorry” miles gift, but that I would encounter the same situation in the future.
What do the pillars in the check-in area say? IME, at non-hubs where there's no dedicated FO check-in line, the SkyPriority pillars also say "Silver Medallion" on them, indicating FOs can use the SkyPriority lines. Is that not the case at PDX?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
To be honest, I didn’t see. I just saw the big SkyPriority sign for one line, and the other option was the general lane. It may have been listed underneath, I don’t know. I generally just don’t take the time to read the small print underneath.

If it was there, it makes me even more annoyed as their gate guard was thus enforcing something counter to what the sign clearly stated.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by kavok

Not all DL hubs have a third separate check-in line. At MSP there is a separate DL check in area, used especially for group check-ins but available to others, that is away from the main check-in. At that secondary counter FOs are included in the SkyPriority check in, but not in the main one. So the situation, unfortunately for you, may be that PDX doesn’t have a line for FOs
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I suggest that you print out the terms and conditions from Delta's website:

5) Priority Check-In: Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members may use the Sky Priority check-in lanes. Certain airports may have a dedicated check-in lane for Silver Medallion Members. At airports which do not have a dedicated Silver Medallion check-in lane, Silver Medallion Members are permitted to use the Sky Priority check-in lane.

If it is an airport you use regularly, it may be worth arriving a little early one time, and if you are denied entrance, politely asking to speak with a manager who you can point speak about this with. It is a clear violation of an advertised benefit.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...on-status.html
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Why are you even complaining?

SkyPriority is only for Gold or above. Unless listed on the pillar, Silver is not entitled to SkyPriority.

You took the time to complain here but couldn't take a second to verify if the PDX pillar said Silver on it or not?
Sky Priority (the branding) is only for Gold and above, but "Priority check-in" is a published benefit for Silver. If not delivered in the form of a dedicated Silver line, the benefit entitles Silver to use Sky Priority lines.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SkyPriority is only for Gold or above. Unless listed on the pillar, Silver is not entitled to SkyPriority.

You took the time to complain here but couldn't take a second to verify if the PDX pillar said Silver on it or not?
Why are you being a jerk? And while you're being a jerk, you're also wrong. Check the post above yours by jdrtravel, with the benefit and rule spelled out regarding FO access to SkyPriority check-in.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
You may want to look for a sign like this one at FLL. You can see it states Silver Medallion under the line.

Explaining the sign to the staffer at the entrance may help. But of course we're all rushing to get to the airport all the time.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
As others have said, it depends on the sign, but I would be willing to bet that the sign did in fact include, in small print, "Silver Medallion SkyTeam Elite." Upon being denied entry to that line I would've re-checked the signage, then asked immediately for a red coat. I believe that many of the so called "guards" or "line dragons" are trained to first assume people don't know where they are going or to possibly profile the line for those that might not look like they belong.

I am Silver with DL as well, however can't stand it being called FO because I'm an FO (First Officer) for another airline. Anyway, I've never been denied entry to the Sky Priority check in line when the signage exists. Once when departing from an outstation I was in line with a pet in-carrier and I was questioned if I was Sky Priority. I replied that I was First Class (which I happened to be that day) but never was asked to show proof or had any pushback.

I would, if possible, recheck the signage if you are in the area again soon. Regardless, I would email DL a polite complaint stating that you were denied a benefit entitled to Silver's. Yes, Silver isn't worth near as much as Diamond, but it is something and you worked hard to get there.

The other day I called in forgetting about the Hurricane weather mess and was quoted a long hold time, but to my surprise my call was taken immediately by the elite desk. In summary, Silver's matter too!
gooselee and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Rubbish.

OP was entitled to use the SP check-in even though he is not entitled to what DL refers to the SP "suite" which, of course, includes more than just check-in.

It is clear that DL permits FO's access to SP check-in when there is no dedicated FO line.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Well... as a lifetime FO - I never knew about this benefit. Then again, about 3 years ago we realized we could take 2 week vacations with one carry on each and never looked back.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Everyone who has attacked me, surprisingly, also are the first ones to say someone should pay the full fare difference plus all applicable change fees whenever someone tries to understand airline pricing.

Why are the rules only adhered to in some cases? SkyPriority is a benefit specifically for those that map to Elite Plus; for Delta, that is only Gold Medallions and above.

Yes, Silver Medallions are entitled to priority check in; but it also disclaims that any of these benefits may not be offered or available at all stations at all times.

Simply put, Silvers aren't included in SkyPriority by default. Some stations have decided to allow them access at certain SkyPriority agent-staffed points; in these cases, "Silver Medallion" is listed on the signage, and all it takes is nicely pointing this out to any line-manning agent, if they incorrectly deny you. But if the signage doesn't state "Silver Medallion" at that specific point, then it isn't included unless you otherwise qualify for SkyPriority (e.g. First Class, etc.)
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Everyone who has attacked me, surprisingly, also are the first ones to say someone should pay the full fare difference plus all applicable change fees whenever someone tries to understand airline pricing.

Why are the rules only adhered to in some cases? SkyPriority is a benefit specifically for those that map to Elite Plus; for Delta, that is only Gold Medallions and above.

Yes, Silver Medallions are entitled to priority check in; but it also disclaims that any of these benefits may not be offered or available at all stations at all times.

Simply put, Silvers aren't included in SkyPriority by default. Some stations have decided to allow them access at certain SkyPriority agent-staffed points; in these cases, "Silver Medallion" is listed on the signage, and all it takes is nicely pointing this out to any line-manning agent, if they incorrectly deny you. But if the signage doesn't state "Silver Medallion" at that specific point, then it isn't included unless you otherwise qualify for SkyPriority (e.g. First Class, etc.)
Blah blah blah I am a DYWIA blah blah blah FO blah blah blah not entitled blah blah blah.

Delta says FO can use SP if no dedicated FO line is available regardless of what signage may say. I suspect op encountered a new employee who doesn't know the rules.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rather than apologizing for being a jerk and admitting you were wrong, you decide to double-down on being a jerk and make generalizations that you didn't even back up. Can you back up what you're claiming here about "everyone" is "the first to say"? Or is your gross generalization just a poor attempt to divert some of the attention away from your being a jerk to the OP and your mistake?

Of course, even if you prove your generalization, it only hurts your case as your generalization is that "everyone" you're grouping here believes someone should pay the fare difference and fees (thus follow the rules) while those who have pointed out you're wrong have pointed about what OP would be entitled to based on DL's rules. So you managed to back yourself into a corner and look foolish with your double-down. Good job. ^

And there are nice ways to point out things to an OP if you think they're wrong rather than mocking them and being a jerk. You chose not to go the nice route so for you to say someone could "nicely point out" something is a bit comical and ironic to say the least.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:34 pm

denialism: "an ideological position whereby one systematically reacts by refusing reality and truth"

Truthiness is the belief or assertion that a particular statement is true based on the intuition or perceptions of some individual or individuals, without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts.

Also known as the Kellyanne Conway response: alternative facts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.