FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   International luggage delay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1930624-international-luggage-delay.html)

anbhc Sep 14, 2018 1:11 pm

International luggage delay

Arrived in Shanghai,China tonight at 7pm and my 2 pieces of luggage are delayed and still in Los Angeles scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning.

What is standard daily reimbursement for clothes and essentials for delayed luggage abroad, especially after 14 hours of flying.

The luggage office in Shanghai did not even supply a basic amenity kit and their Delta Delayed Baggage form did not have any reference number on the form.

flyerCO Sep 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by anbhc (Post 30204128)
Arrived in Shanghai,China tonight at 7pm and my 2 pieces of luggage are delayed and still in Los Angeles scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning.

What is standard daily reimbursement for clothes and essentials for delayed luggage abroad, especially after 14 hours of flying.

The luggage office in Shanghai did not even supply a basic amenity kit and their Delta Delayed Baggage form did not have any reference number on the form.

Call DL or tweet them and ask for the file reference number. DL is good about not imposing a strict limit. Buy what you need and keep receipts. Never have had an issue with DL getting paid back.

Normally MU gives you a file reference and tells you to get along. Shocked they didn't give it to you. Would be PVGDLxxxxxx where x is a number. Sadly MU is awful about delayed bag handling. They handle KLM flights also. I was rerouted by DL from YYZ-DTW-PVG to YYZ-AMS-PVG. Luggage had already been checked in with DL. Of course luggage never transfered due to US/CANADA customs and bags being cleared into US already. I ended up getting one piece out of three sent to me every other day over course of week. This despite them getting all at same time, ONE day latter then my scheduled arrival.

Cory6188 Sep 14, 2018 3:32 pm

I only have a few first-hand experiences to speak of, but as a DM, I've never had them skip a beat when reimbursing me - even when I had to buy a dress shirt, pants, and shoes for a few hundred Euros for a meeting when my bag didn't make it in AMS on a EWR-AMS-HAM itinerary on DL/KL. Obviously, if you go out and buy a $1500 suit, it might be another story.

After I submitted the claim, I got a call a few days later from DL customer service, and all the agent did was verify the total reimbursement amount and my mailing address. Not a peep about the cost. Your profile says you're a DM, so I'd expect you'd have the same experience - no idea what the situation would be at lower/no elite status.

BenA Sep 14, 2018 3:43 pm

In a similar situation in the past, the baggage service office in an Asian outstation dispensed about $80 US on the spot and we were told further receipts could be submitted after we returned home... so that’s at least a minimum bar for reimbursements.

Often1 Sep 14, 2018 4:20 pm

It's an international flight, so DL must reimburse your reasonable out-of-pocket expenses up to a maximum of approximately $1,650. However, if the bag is lost (not found within 20 days) or damaged, the reimbursement comes off that $1,650.

The best way to look at this is to ask yourself what you would do if you absolutely knew that you would not be reimbursed. What would purchase then?

Keep receipts for everything and make sure you call and get the WorldTracer number because that is the easiest place to look at the bag's progress and update contact information if need be.

anbhc Sep 14, 2018 7:00 pm

International luggage delay

Thanks for the replies. They routed the luggage on a MU flight and luggage was expected to arrive this morning (Saturday) and I am returning back to America on Monday. I knew luggage would be an issue when I saw it was rerouted after landing in Seattle and asked at the SkyClub if they would reroute me through LAX and on the MU flight even though it was leaving much later so that I could be with my luggage in the arrivals hall but they only had first class seats available and could not reissue the ticket in that class of service. I have packed several specialized American formula for my baby in the luggage which he is used to (which I cannot find in China) so I hope it eventually shows up before Monday. All the receipts so far are written in Chinese and in RMB so I hope that is acceptable.

flyerCO Sep 14, 2018 7:15 pm

They'll be fine with your receipts . In fact I normally just include copy of credit card statement . This way no issues with exchange rates.

anbhc Sep 14, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks. Almost all the department stores here in Shanghai only accept cash or credit cards issued through China Union Pay so I paid with Chinese RMB. I will just go with the receipts and write the English listing of items purchased.

flyerCO Sep 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Klaus127 (Post 30206610)
I think to address such issues, there should be certain services

What does this mean???