FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Long time Plat Losing Status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1930598-long-time-plat-losing-status.html)

Scott H Sep 14, 2018 10:07 am

Long time Plat Losing Status

Hello FT'ers,
I'm a longtime (well, 7 or 8 years) Plat who isn't flying so much in my new job. I'm a long way off from re-qualifying for Plat in 2019. Looks like I'll end up mid silver level by end of this year. I have an Amex Plat but I don't think that is much help for bumping up status for 2019. Any suggestions, other than flying more?

manually Sep 14, 2018 10:11 am

You can try to switch to Delta reserve card that gives you 15K MQM after $30K spend, and another 15K MQM with another $30K spend, although you will have to do it by the end of this year.

Eastbay1K Sep 14, 2018 10:15 am

You'll find that the sun will still rise, the sun will still set (and subject to meterologic conditions, you'll probably be able to see the sunrise and sunset, you'll sleep better, and you may even feel healthier.

For the occasional trip that you want that "oh so special status feeling," you can just pay for it. With planning, it frequently doesn't cost much more, such as a comfort or F seat. You also have lounge access with your card.

If the earth was flat, losing status would just cause you to eventually fall off the edge. But since it isn't, you''ll be ok. I promise.

daloosh Sep 14, 2018 12:45 pm

If you add the Delta Reserve card, I think you get 10K bonus MQMs, which might be enough to bring you to Gold for the year (you mentioned mid-Silver, which I take as 35-40K MQMs for the year). Even tho you aren't flying as much with your new job, if you stay with Delta and get the Reserve card and drop the Amex Plat, you could manage to remain Gold indefinitely. While it's nice to be PM, GM is a big step over FO. If you still fly other airlines, you should probably stay with the Amex Plat for benefits like lounge access outside of Skyclubs.

3Cforme Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm

An Amex Delta Reserve card has a $450 annual fee. One needs to think long and hard about prospective use of silver or gold benefits before committing to that kind of fee. As EastBay1K notes, just buy the Comfort+ or F seat on occasion.

Mr. Elliott Sep 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30204138)
An Amex Delta Reserve card has a $450 annual fee. One needs to think long and hard about prospective use of silver or gold benefits before committing to that kind of fee. As EastBay1K notes, just buy the Comfort+ or F seat on occasion.

And the reserve card also includes an AMEX companion certificate which can be worth more than the cost of the card and also entry to the Sky Club. I have the Delta Reserve card and used the companion certificate this summer for a trip with my wife from JFK to LAX, the cost of my fare was $560.00, the cost of her fare was just the taxes, so right there it more than paid for the card.

Also my wife has her own reserve card in her name, so we actually get 2 companion certificates a year, which we use and when we travel together she also has access to the Sky Club.

Mr. Elliott

golfr Sep 18, 2018 7:52 pm

I will miss the free SDC/SDS and upgrades. But I can't wait til the day I don't have to fly anymore. From gate lice to dogs that smell, flying isn't what it used to be.

vincentharris Sep 19, 2018 5:34 am

Originally Posted by golfr (Post 30219338)
I will miss the free SDC/SDS and upgrades. But I can't wait til the day I don't have to fly anymore. From gate lice to dogs that smell, flying isn't what it used to be.

I agree there are A LOT of disappointments these days in flying, but no matter how many times I fly I am still blown away that we are able to do this and be on one coast at breakfast and another at lunch/dinner (depending on which way you are going :) )

Even more astounding is you can travel to Asia from North America for under $1000 and under 16 hours, this would be a multi week journey by boat just 100 years ago.

Even with all the pitfalls a lot of us experience in our daily travels I still try to think about what it was like the first time i flew (that I can remember) and try to have that same excitement today

CPMaverick Sep 19, 2018 5:41 pm

If you aren't flying much you don't need Plat. Enjoy the time at home. :)

TheHorta Sep 20, 2018 7:21 am

With the right combination of AX cards, you can be at least Platinum every year without flying a single mile. If you get the third-tier invites, you can make Diamond — regardless of the obvious “Yeah, but why?” question.

DL makes it easy. I mean, seriously easy, to reach Platinum.

manually Sep 20, 2018 8:49 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta (Post 30225102)
With the right combination of AX cards, you can be at least Platinum every year without flying a single mile. If you get the third-tier invites, you can make Diamond — regardless of the obvious “Yeah, but why?” question.

DL may make it easy, but AMEX spend will have to be close to $200K plus. Not that easy.

jiburi Sep 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta (Post 30225102)

No, DL makes it easy. I mean, seriously easy, to live out your life amazingly, without the need to flying on Delta Airlines.

Jiburi

Lrtalk Sep 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Also, the Reserve companion certificate allows you to buy F. The annual fee is a no brainer with that if you can use the certificate.

BenA Sep 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 30220577)
I agree there are A LOT of disappointments these days in flying, but no matter how many times I fly I am still blown away that we are able to do this and be on one coast at breakfast and another at lunch/dinner (depending on which way you are going :) )

Even more astounding is you can travel to Asia from North America for under $1000 and under 16 hours, this would be a multi week journey by boat just 100 years ago.

Even with all the pitfalls a lot of us experience in our daily travels I still try to think about what it was like the first time i flew (that I can remember) and try to have that same excitement today

Thanks for posting this. It’s nice to be reminded of this once in a while.

A few weeks ago, the wife and I spent a day at Disneyland in Anaheim, got picked up at the park gates by a free China Eastern limo, took a shower in a lounge, boarded a business class flight to Shanghai, got a great nights sleep in a lieflat seat, landed, immediately hopped in another free limo, and went right to park open at Shanghai Disneyland half a world away.

By any measure, it’s incredible we were able to do that for the low price we paid. Later that night, our SHA-PEK flight was heavily delayed due to the typical ATC issues, and in our tired and sweaty state we were briefly tempted to be whiny - until we gathered our perspective and realized how lucky we are to be able to travel the way we do.

Unfortunately, it’s a little profane and recent allegations have taken some of the shine off of his humor, but I still find the Louis CK bit about WiFi on airplanes to be instructive:
In short, he reminds everyone that flying is a miracle, and we should be amazed and grateful every time we’re aloft.

Unless they forget to serve PDBs... then it’s an outrage. :)