A220 Consolidated Discussion Thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 25, 19, 1:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: audidudi
Wiki Link
Initial route list adapted from the Delta news hub:

Market (In-Service)
  • New York-LGA to Boston-BOS...Feb 7 2019.
  • New York-LGA to Dallas/Ft. Worth-DFW*...Feb 7 2019.
  • Detroit-DTW to Dallas/Ft. Worth-DFW**...Feb 14 2019.
  • New York-LGA to Houston-IAH*...April 2019.
  • Salt Lake City-SLC to Dallas/Ft. Worth-DFW...May 2019.
  • Salt Lake City-SLC to San Jose-SJC...May 2019
  • San Jose-SJC to Seattle-SEA...June 8 2019 (2/6 flights daily).
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul-MSP to Dallas/Ft. Worth-DFW...June 2019.
  • Houston-IAH to Detroit-DTW & Minneapolis/St. Paul-MSP...July 2019.
  • Houston-IAH to Salt Lake City-SLC*...July 2019.
  • New York-JFK to Dallas/Ft. Worth-DFW*...Aug 2019.
*Denotes route that will eventually be fully operated by A220.

For those interested in the original DL order and subsequent news, here is the original thread: Delta Orders 75 CS100's.

A220-100 orders, deliveries and entry into service dates:


MSN 50020 8101 N101DU Delivered Oct 26 2018. Entered service Feb 14 2019 DFW>DTW.
MSN 50021 8102 N102DU Delivered Dec 18 2018. Entered service Feb 7 2019 LGA>BOS.
MSN 50022 8103 N103DU Delivered Dec 8 2018. Entered service Feb 7 2019 DFW>LGA.
MSN 50023 8104 N104DU Delivered Dec 31 2018. Entered service Feb 7 2019 LGA>DFW.
MSN 50024 8105 N105DU Delivered Feb 16 2019. Entered service Feb 23 2019 LGA>DFW.
MSN 50025 8106 N106DU Delivered Feb 22 2019. Entered service March 9 2019 DTW>DFW.
MSN 50026 8107 N107DU Delivered March 1 2019. Entered service April 7 2019 DFW>LGA.
MSN 50027 8108 N108DN On order.
MSN 50028 8109 N109DU Delivered March 13 2019. Entered service March 22 2019 DFW>DTW.
MSN 50029 8110 N110DU Delivered March 29 2019. Entered service April 9 2019 2019 DTW>DFW.
MSN 50030 8111 N111NG On order.
MSN 50031 8112 N112DU Delivered April 18 2019. Estimated to enter service late April or early May.
MSN 50032 8113 N113DQ/X (both regs have been reserved by DL!) On order.
MSN 50033 8114 N114DU On order.
MSN 50034 8115 N115DU On order.
MSN 50035 8116 N116DU On order.
MSN 50036 8117 N117DU On order.
MSN 50037 8118 N118DU On order.
MSN 50038 8119 N119DU On order.
MSN 50039 8120 N120DU On order.
MSN 50040 8121 N121DU On order.
MSN 50041 8122 N122DU On order.
MSN 50042 8123 N123DQ On order.
MSN 50043 8124 N124DU On order.
MSN 50044 8125 N125DU On order.
MSN 50045 8126 N126DU On order.
MSN 50046 8127 N127DU On order.
MSN 50047 8128 N128DU On order.
MSN 50048 8129 N129DU On order.
MSN 50049 8130 N130DU On order.
MSN 50050 8131 N131DU On order.
MSN 50051 8132 N132DU On order.

A220-300 orders:

MSN 55069 8301 N
MSN 55070 8302 N
MSN 55075 8303 N
MSN 55080 8304 N
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jan 9, 19, 8:24 am
  #151  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Posts: 2,130
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Any idea what the config will be for the -300s?
Definitely still 2-2 in F, 2-3 in Y. Only 21 extra seats, so I hope, something like 1 extra row in F, 4 extra rows in Y. It's possible that the F cabin will stay the same tho.
kjnangre is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:26 am
  #152  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Posts: 2,130
Originally Posted by ab2013 View Post
If they're configuring the A220-300s (can we call it the A223?) with 130 seats, I'd say DL sees it as a potential replacement for the exNW A319s.
Airbus sees it that way too, Airbus has stopped marketing the A319 and is pushing the A223 instead. DL's just finished a very large upgrade on its A319s tho, with tvs at every seat, 2Ku fast wifi, etc. They will be around for quite a while yet
kjnangre is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:59 am
  #153  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Posts: 272
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
Airbus sees it that way too, Airbus has stopped marketing the A319 and is pushing the A223 instead. DL's just finished a very large upgrade on its A319s tho, with tvs at every seat, 2Ku fast wifi, etc. They will be around for quite a while yet
Yup - the oldest bird in the A319 fleet is not even 20 years old yet. DL's investor day indicated that they want to deploy the A220s to the competitive (coastal) markets.
ab2013 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 11:28 am
  #154  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,368
I could see these used to retire the 10 73Gs in the fleet - it's a small sub-fleet that likely doesn't give them any additional benefits over the A319s and A223s.
lowfareair is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:24 pm
  #155  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,907
Originally Posted by lowfareair View Post
I could see these used to retire the 10 73Gs in the fleet - it's a small sub-fleet that likely doesn't give them any additional benefits over the A319s and A223s.
Do these or the A319s have the same capability of the -700s? IIRC, the -700s are used for landing on short runways.
SJC ORD LDR is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:30 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,154
Originally Posted by lowfareair View Post
I could see these used to retire the 10 73Gs in the fleet - it's a small sub-fleet that likely doesn't give them any additional benefits over the A319s and A223s.
neither of those airplanes in Delta's configuration have(or will have) anything remotely close to the performance the Delta's 73Ws have.


Also they aren't a small sub-fleet. Basically a 738 or 739 but shorter.

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
Do these or the A319s have the same capability of the -700s? IIRC, the -700s are used for landing on short runways.
not so much landing as much as getting off of them

but no. The Delta 319s aren't even close (several thousand pounds of thrust under powered) and the 223 will have the same issue.

the 221 is a pocket rocket, or can be. Currently Delta isn't taking them as such though.
Dawgfan6291 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:50 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: midwest
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 881
Given that the 319s and the 737-7s have 12 F seats, I'd bet the A223 will also have a three row F cabin. I'd hope that they might have a fourth row of C+, though. If the A221 really has 32" pitch in regular Y, there isn't that much need for C+ (free booze isn't of much interest personally, and I find the snack basket really ho hum), but we'll see how they pitch the bigger sibling's main cabin.
RaflW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:58 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: midwest
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 881
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291 View Post
the 221 is a pocket rocket, or can be. Currently Delta isn't taking them as such though.
Per Leeham News "Runway takeoff length for CS100 is 4,800 ft at sea level at a full load and 6,200 ft for CS300."
Indeed the A221 is a rocket! But there is no need for DL to fly them like that, and engine life is eaten most by full power takeoffs, so derating makes sense as there are few DL airports with the 'hot and high' needs of the 737-7.

What will be cool is that both A220s can do transcon. Don't know if DL is looking at some novel nonstops at LAX, SEA or NYC, but they could.
RaflW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:59 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,154
Originally Posted by RaflW View Post
Per Leeham News "Runway takeoff length for CS100 is 4,800 ft at sea level at a full load and 6,200 ft for CS300."
Indeed the A221 is a rocket! But there is no need for DL to fly them like that, and engine life is eaten most by full power takeoffs, so derating makes sense as there are few DL airports with the 'hot and high' needs of the 737-7.

What will be cool is that both A220s can do transcon. Don't know if DL is looking at some novel nonstops at LAX, SEA or NYC, but they could.
right now they don't have the MTOW.

and correct on the engines. Delta is going with a de-rated model, IIRC 21,000lbs of thrust.
Dawgfan6291 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 1:08 pm
  #160  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta
Posts: 64
Anyone have an educated guess on Delta's long-term fleet plan for the A220? Is a fleet of 200 out of the question? If it replaces just the existing A319s, 717s, and 737-700s that's about 160 alone.
Pip Carlson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 2:56 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Posts: 2,130
Originally Posted by Pip Carlson View Post
Anyone have an educated guess on Delta's long-term fleet plan for the A220? Is a fleet of 200 out of the question? If it replaces just the existing A319s, 717s, and 737-700s that's about 160 alone.
Your premise is wrong. DL is using these to win in very competitive routes. They are not to replace existing planes. Look at the cities these will serve: Dallas, Houston, Chicago, NYC, Boston. The list speaks for itself, they are major competitor hubs and highly competitive markets.
kjnangre is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 3:47 pm
  #162  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,907
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
Your premise is wrong. DL is using these to win in very competitive routes. They are not to replace existing planes. Look at the cities these will serve: Dallas, Houston, Chicago, NYC, Boston. The list speaks for itself, they are major competitor hubs and highly competitive markets.
Looking at the future schedule. it looks like they will be out west sooner than I thought. They are doing 4x SJC - SLC and 2x SJC - SEA this summer.
SJC ORD LDR is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 3:48 pm
  #163  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SLC, Ut ,USA
Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
Posts: 370
Just read at Airways that Delta may have to delay the entry into service of the A220. It seems that with the government shutdown many FAA inspectors have been furloughed and Delta is having a hard time getting the ones remaining to cover the route proving flights necessary for the certification of a new type into their fleet. And the beat goes on...
ss278 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:13 pm
  #164  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Posts: 2,130
Originally Posted by ss278 View Post
Just read at Airways that Delta may have to delay the entry into service of the A220. It seems that with the government shutdown many FAA inspectors have been furloughed and Delta is having a hard time getting the ones remaining to cover the route proving flights' necessary for the certification of a new type into their fleet. And the beat goes on...
That article is a joke. I've never seen so many "might"s and "may"s in one article. And everything is attributed to "Sources" or "Reportedly". My niece's high school newspaper has higher standards than that.

Sources tell Airways that even though the airline has taken delivery of four A220s, the lack of FAA inspectors available to sign off the airline’s 100-hour flight proving runs might delay the aircraft’s EIS.

“During proving run flights, the operator must comply with all applicable FAA regulations. These may include flight and duty time, rest times,” sources tell Airways.

Current FAA inspectors have been furloughed because of the government shut down, therefore reducing the number of active inspectors to meet Delta’s proving run schedules. As a result, the A220’s EIS is very much at risk.

Reportedly, Delta might have drafted a waiver request asking the FAA to reduce the proving run hours. However, such waivers had never been approved before, so the likelihood of succeeding is very low.
kjnangre is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:20 pm
  #165  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ontario Canada
Programs: Hilton Gold - Air Canada 25K
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by RaflW View Post
Given that the 319s and the 737-7s have 12 F seats, I'd bet the A223 will also have a three row F cabin. I'd hope that they might have a fourth row of C+, though. If the A221 really has 32" pitch in regular Y, there isn't that much need for C+ (free booze isn't of much interest personally, and I find the snack basket really ho hum), but we'll see how they pitch the bigger sibling's main cabin.
BTW the A220 ICAO and IATA codes have not changed so its still BCS1/BCS3 and the CS1 and CS3 but ya... #CSeries ...
Aselwyn is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread