Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How much influence does my status really have with China Eastern?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles

Flying on MU PVG-SYD-PVD early next month. I should be PM by then. Does that do anything for me? Currently on some form of a coach fare, which I'm sure isn't upgradeable. But, you never know?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
As a DM, I got nothing out of it except traditional SkyTeam+ benefits. Early boarding, baggage allowance, etc. I was not able to get out of Y. Don’t know if the latter was an anomaly or the way it is.
jalves likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
MU offers buy-ups onboard, not sure of the cost. Inquire at check-in and then at boarding.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mindspin_311
Flying on MU PVG-SYD-PVD early next month. I should be PM by then. Does that do anything for me? Currently on some form of a coach fare, which I'm sure isn't upgradeable. But, you never know?
On the ground, you'll get priority checkin and lounge access. MU's checkin for SkyTeam Elite Plus/Business/First is very nice - separate areas with privacy dividers, couches in front of the desks, etc. In some locations, there's even a cute little robot that greets you.

In the air, not much. I saw no evidence that STE+ helped me at all in dealing with customer service, getting seat assignments or during service onboard. Not saying it doesn't ever happen, just that I didn't see any evidence of that.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: DL-PM
Don't expect anything other than the standard SkyPriority stuff, and possibly a bulkhead or forward cabin seat.

Originally Posted by webmarks
MU offers buy-ups onboard, not sure of the cost. Inquire at check-in and then at boarding.
On a recent PVG-LAX flight the buy up offered was ~$4000 to F, J was sold out.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
SkyTeam and other Delta partner carrier benefits by status are thoroughly detailed. You will need the footnotes.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles
Yea, I just think Ill ask for an upgrade when I check in and see what happens haha
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:55 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
China Eastern is incredibly clear as to what ST E and E+ are entitled to while flying with them. They also publish a chart of perks for their own members.

Elite Status Membership | China Eastern Airlines

You're in for a pretty rude surprise if you're expecting anything resembling US-style upgrades.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Other than the ST+ benefits already mentioned, I can say without exception that on every flight that I have flown on CI/CZ/KE/MU and VN that the Purser has personally made a point of coming to my seat and thanking me for my status, and to be sure to let her/him know if I want anything/anytime during the flight. I always appreciate the acknowledgment as these Asian FAs are much more attentive and polite, in most cases, to the customers on their flights. Maybe as I'm always flying in Business Class, that helps!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by mindspin_311
SYD-PVD on MU? I can only dream haha
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by audidudi
Other than the ST+ benefits already mentioned, I can say without exception that on every flight that I have flown on CI/CZ/KE/MU and VN that the Purser has personally made a point of coming to my seat and thanking me for my status, and to be sure to let her/him know if I want anything/anytime during the flight. I always appreciate the acknowledgment as these Asian FAs are much more attentive and polite, in most cases, to the customers on their flights. Maybe as I'm always flying in Business Class, that helps!
That definitely has happened to me on CI and KE - seated in either premium cabins or regular economy! Sometimes I’m even offered first choice of meals.

But my experience on MU (sample size one round trip with 4 total connecting flights in J) was that STE+ went unrecognized onboard. The service was actually pretty great - I was quite pleased overall - but it didn’t include a personal greeting for me based on my status. (Not that I minded - the purser still visited every seat to greet every passenger, they just did it in numeric order.)
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Back in the days when I was a DL Plat, I flew CZ from HKG to PEK. This is what they did to me.

1) they found my Delta booking (PEK-DTW) that was 2 days later and printed out a boarding pass for me in HK so that I could easily go through TWOV process in PEK

2) Made sure there was no one sitting on my row (the plane was 60% empty)

3) when I passed out in my seat after take off (I was clubbing until 4am and went straight to the airport) they came and put a pillow under my head/ put a blanket over me and tucked me in for the flight.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Does seat selection work?

I have my first flight on MU in J during last weekend of September PVG-ORD. I was able to select a seat on the Delta app. Does anyone know if this actually sticks? Or is it some phantom selection capability and I’ll just get whatever seat when I check in at PVG?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
...on every flight that I have flown on CI/CZ/KE/MU and VN that the Purser has personally made a point of coming to my seat and thanking me for my status, and to be sure to let her/him know if I want anything/anytime during the flight. I always appreciate the acknowledgment as these Asian FAs are much more attentive and polite, in most cases, to the customers on their flights.!
I was quite impressed when the purser on a transpacific flight on CI swam back to rear coach to thank me for my Diamond status and to let him know if I needed anything. This was just after China airlines joined Skyteam,.

I just flew MU LAX-PVG in biz class. No specific aknowledgment of Diamond status. I felt well taken care of, so who knows?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by arunhn
I have my first flight on MU in J during last weekend of September PVG-ORD. I was able to select a seat on the Delta app. Does anyone know if this actually sticks? Or is it some phantom selection capability and I’ll just get whatever seat when I check in at PVG?
It should stick. DL got this working before they got it working with KLM.
arunhn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.