Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Chances of Standby on early Delta flight tomorrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

I'm on an 8:40am Delta tomorrow, Friday the 14th and need to try to get my wife and I on the 6:15AM flight to get to a commitment in NYC (they bumped my flight back a bit but not enough to trigger a free rebooking).

Unfortunately, I'm on a deeply discounted T fare, no status on Delta (I fly United normally) so I can't take advantage of a same day flight change fee. I'd be happy to pay the $50 for that, but not the $600 a ticket they're asking for a confirmed change.

I looked up available seats and I'm seeing 9+ (from expert flyer J1 C1 D1 I0 Z0 W0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U0 T0 X0 V0 E9) just none in the T class.

What do you think my chances are for getting on via standby for 2 people on the 6:15 if I go on paid standby ($75 a ticket to do today on the phone). Since it's super early, I'd rather convince myself there's a decent shot at getting on rather than wake up at 4 and not get it
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk! We have a dedicated Delta forum, and I'll move your post there.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same-day Standby doesn't require original booking class availability. Only Same-day confirmed requires it. Given that the flight is currently Y9, I'd say you have a pretty good shot at making stand-by. The fee is $75 as noted by the agent.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:00 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It's certainly possible, but nobody can really give accurate assessments.

Where are you flying from/to? nonstop or connection?

note you don't actually pay the $75 unless you clear.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Fair enough. It's SFO to JFK DL1859.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
I'd call and ask them to add you both. You can then check the app to see where you are on the list and the number of seats left.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Shouldn't be an issue.

I have requested, and been granted seats when the earlier flight had started boarding already.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
At E9 you are almost certain to get on if they are selling at least 9 Basic Economy seats still. Only issue is some form of IRROPS moving people to that flight. Call and be put on the list now, no point in waiting.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the good advice! I'm on the list. Is there a way to check the standby list and seats available for my standby (not primary) flight? I'm not seeing that in the app, and would want to take a look before bed or early in case there's an IRROPS that bumps me
Edit: figured out how to check it, just took a while to propagate.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
How big was change? DL is generally good avout rebooking for even minor changes if it causes an issue. May take HUACA since some agents are by the book, the money is coming out of my pocket type agents. However most are willing to do what is needed.

I do have to ask if it was wise to book a flight allowing for so little buffer. SFO can be fogged in, and any flight to JFK is subject to delays.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paplover
At E9 you are almost certain to get on if they are selling at least 9 Basic Economy seats still. Only issue is some form of IRROPS moving people to that flight. Call and be put on the list now, no point in waiting.
E9 doesn't really mean anything. There's a dual inventory check with E fares and there has be both inventory in the E fare and the underlying booking class to book an E fare. Flights can be E9 with only a handful of actual seats available. There's no actually E fares bookable because there's zero inventory in the underlying fare buckets for the E fares (plus they usually have advance purchase requirements).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OP - you should have pushed the schedule change for a same day confirmed change.

Or, just shown up at SFO early. I bet the airport agents either wouldn't have assessed the fee if standby, or would have charged you but instantly confirmed you on the flight (airport agents have lots of power, especially Red Coats)
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:28 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The 8:40 SFO-JFK flight (DL407) is still showing ontime. Not sure why OP thinks it was bumped back.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by pvn
The 8:40 SFO-JFK flight (DL407) is still showing ontime. Not sure why OP thinks it was bumped back.
I think OP meant a schedule change, as in the flight was at 9, now it's at 8:40
davetravels likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
So, OP has landed if he made the 6:15 flight -- let us know! (Because every FF's first act is to check FT, not get your luggage or call an Uber). If he didn't make it, guess he and his wife are still in the air for a couple hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.