Thoughts on Platinum Choice Benefit

Old Sep 13, 18, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Question Thoughts on Platinum Choice Benefit

I have two available to me. One for 2018 and one for 2019. I'm trying to determine the best way to use these. I know it's a personal call but could use some input.

1. My daughter is a freshman at a college that we need to fly her back and forth to. She doesn't have any status yet. I was thinking it might benefit her to receive Silver status to cover the cost of her luggage. It would also give her priority check-in lines. If I do that, I think i should use my 2019 benefit for this since I think the 2018 benefit would end in Jan 2019. Do I understand this correctly?

2. For my 2018 voucher I was torn between choosing 20,000 miles or a $200 travel voucher. I'm leaning towards the $200 voucher but would love peoples opinion on that.

Appreciate it!
Old Sep 13, 18, 7:43 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by IDtoTX View Post
1. My daughter is a freshman at a college that we need to fly her back and forth to. She doesn't have any status yet. I was thinking it might benefit her to receive Silver status to cover the cost of her luggage. It would also give her priority check-in lines. If I do that, I think i should use my 2019 benefit for this since I think the 2018 benefit would end in Jan 2019. Do I understand this correctly?
YMMV on the priority check-in lines, but you're correct that you should use the 2019 benefit so the gifted status expires in Jan 2020. I believe the status will become effective immediately-ish.

2. For my 2018 voucher I was torn between choosing 20,000 miles or a $200 travel voucher. I'm leaning towards the $200 voucher but would love peoples opinion on that.
Depends what you intend to use the miles for. If you're going to be buying award tickets for your daughter out of your own account and can get redemption of more than 1 cent per mile, then the miles will be a better deal (plus free redeposit since you're platinum). It's hard to imagine a scenario where you couldn't get more than 1 cent per mile sometime during the year. If you have a Delta credit card you can get 1 cent per mile with PWM. Now, if you are only buying tickets for someone chasing MQMs and MQDs then you might want to take the money.
Old Sep 13, 18, 8:35 am

I have two available to me. One for 2018 and one for 2019. I'm trying to determine the best way to use these. I know it's a personal call but could use some input.

Appreciate it!
Go with the silver status but use your 2019 benefit for this. She should see it within 24 hours or less and its good through Jan 2020. ANY status is better than no status no matter what people on here might say. The free bag is nice, she can select exit row/preferred seats at booking, and the free bag is up to 70 lbs (might be beneficial if coming home for a long time)
bgriff and wxman22 like this.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Gold, 1 MM

Appreciate it!
You might want to think about getting her a Delta CC, that gives her a free bag plus 60K miles for the gold version. As far as miles vs. voucher, one thing to consider is that miles don't expire, but vouchers do. Also, some vouchers are personal.
Old Sep 13, 18, 12:37 pm

FO/Silver also allows boarding in Zone 1 (which is really zone ~5ish after preboards, military, premium and sky).
Old Sep 13, 18, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Busy day today so just getting back to this. Thanks to everyone for their input. The point about the vouchers expiring vs the miles is a good one.

Question on the Silver Medallion status. I figured that would allow her to rollover her miles. Would she also be able to put that towards qualifying to Gold or does that not help with Medallion qualification?
Old Sep 13, 18, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL PM
Busy day today so just getting back to this. Thanks to everyone for their input. The point about the vouchers expiring vs the miles is a good one.

Question on the Silver Medallion status. I figured that would allow her to rollover her miles. Would she also be able to put that towards qualifying to Gold or does that not help with Medallion qualification?
She will only roll over any MQM's above 25k earned. Gifted silver status does not mean gifted 25k MQM's.
Her gifted silver status will not help her qualify for Gold - she needs 50k miles for Gold
Old Sep 13, 18, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
She will only roll over any MQM's above 25k earned. Gifted silver status does not mean gifted 25k MQM's.
Her gifted silver status will not help her qualify for Gold - she needs 50k miles for Gold
Bummer. I was hoping she could rollover her MQM's that she's earned. She won't get above 25K this year. Possibly next year. Ok...thanks.
Old Sep 13, 18, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
Also, she would only get rollover if she qualifies for FO, meaning not just 25,000 MQM but also the $3,000 DL spend (or $25,000 eligible spend on a DL AmEx credit card associated with her DL FF account).
Old Sep 13, 18, 11:00 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So I usually go for the $200 voucher but remember they do expire 1 year from issuance (when you claim it) and that it's not good for reward fees, plus sometimes hard to combine so if you don't use it all, might have orphan credit with it. The 20k might be easier to use if you're trying to get her home. The silver status is helpful for the bag fees so if she's going to do that enough to save $25 per one way....
Old Sep 14, 18, 10:45 am

Programs: SPG P & anti-MaRiot IHG-P HH/LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G AY-P, Octopus
I will be qualifying for a status challenge soon and am a bit confused. Would nominating Silver be valid until Jan 2020?
Old Sep 14, 18, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remymartin View Post
I will be qualifying for a status challenge soon and am a bit confused. Would nominating Silver be valid until Jan 2020?
I can't speak to the status challenge. By using a Platinum benefit that I earned this year I can gift my daughter Silver until Jan 2020. If I used the benefit that I earned last year her Silver status would only be valid until Jan 2019.
Old Sep 14, 18, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH diamond, AA, WP
Since you know when school breaks are, you can plan ahead with award tickets for your daughter. The 20K miles will be more valuable than the $200 -- for example, if booking spring break tickets now, you should get 1.2-1.4 cents per mile award tix. And since you can redeposit without a fee, she can change her travel plans easily.
IDtoTX likes this.
Old Sep 14, 18, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daloosh View Post
Since you know when school breaks are, you can plan ahead with award tickets for your daughter. The 20K miles will be more valuable than the $200 -- for example, if booking spring break tickets now, you should get 1.2-1.4 cents per mile award tix. And since you can redeposit without a fee, she can change her travel plans easily.
Probably. We've booked Thanksgiving and Christmas - might as well book spring break.