Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Question about Canadian passport control

Old Sep 12, 18, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum

Hello, itís been a while since Iíve flown to Canada. But next week Iím flying MKE-DTW-YYZ-YQB. Does anyone know if I go through passport control in YYZ before flying on to YQB? Iím flying DL to DTW and YYZ but then Westjet to YQB. Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 18, 8:31 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Yes, since you have an onward domestic flight and are not an international transit passenger, you will be cleared at YYZ.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Sep 12, 18, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, and on the return you'll almost surely do USA preclearance before boarding your transborder segment to the USA. This tends to require extra time.
Old Sep 12, 18, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Yes, and on the return you'll almost surely do USA preclearance before boarding your transborder segment to the USA. This tends to require extra time.
Much slower than that is CATSA (the Canadian "TSA"). Always extremely slow and inefficient. Nexus (supposedly faster) lanes are always a good 4 fold + slower than general lane, so if you have Nexus/Global Entry, just go in the regular line; the "faster" line is always slower and almost every "pre-cleared low-risk" traveler gets a painfully slow secondary screening, quite unlike the general public lines that are longer but much faster (though still slower than US TSA).

At HNL, DCA, SEA, etc. I rarely get to airport (int'l or domestic) more than 45 min before flight departure. In Canada you'd better get there at least 1h30m before, if not a full 2h. You'll need plenty of extra time for the painfully slow CATSA experience.
Old Sep 12, 18, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Much slower than that is CATSA (the Canadian "TSA"). Always extremely slow and inefficient. In Canada you'd better get there at least 1h30m before, if not a full 2h. You'll need plenty of extra time for the painfully slow CATSA experience.
My experience with CATSA is much different; about on par with the TSA, and perhaps a bit faster.
Old Sep 12, 18, 10:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Much slower than that is CATSA (the Canadian "TSA"). Always extremely slow and inefficient. Nexus (supposedly faster) lanes are always a good 4 fold + slower than general lane, so if you have Nexus/Global Entry, just go in the regular line; the "faster" line is always slower and almost every "pre-cleared low-risk" traveler gets a painfully slow secondary screening, quite unlike the general public lines that are longer but much faster (though still slower than US TSA).

At HNL, DCA, SEA, etc. I rarely get to airport (int'l or domestic) more than 45 min before flight departure. In Canada you'd better get there at least 1h30m before, if not a full 2h. You'll need plenty of extra time for the painfully slow CATSA experience.
Originally Posted by PHXflier View Post
My experience with CATSA is much different; about on par with the TSA, and perhaps a bit faster.
Same here. With Nexus and no bags, I stroll in around 35-40 minutes before any flight, including pre-cleared transborder flights. Never waited long enough at CATSA to make it even a close call.
Old Sep 12, 18, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Same here. With Nexus and no bags, I stroll in around 35-40 minutes before any flight, including pre-cleared transborder flights. Never waited long enough at CATSA to make it even a close call.
Interesting. Both at YVR and YYZ the Nexus lines, every single time, have been about 5 minutes per person. With 4 people in front easily takes 20 minutes, vs. 15-20 people normal line goes through in 1/4 of the time.

As it's been my experience every time I thought it was universal CATSA being extra slow on the Nexus lines, and other travelers have also so remarked to me, but I really don't go to Canada frequently enough to have enough experience to be statistically significant. So I'll just put it down to bad luck (every single time I've been to Canada the last few years) then..
Old Sep 13, 18, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Same here at YYZ. Not much experience at YVR. However when went through month ago, no issues and was much, much quicker then regular lane.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:18 am

Programs: HH-Gold, IHG-Plat, DL-DM
Traveled to YYZ this past weekend and I was trying to use GE lanes and they asked to the card. I don't travel with my card, I figured I just use the kioks but I guess they don't have any. I go thru the normal lanes, but then after that, I see kiosks, hm... I was confused.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Eddie98 View Post
Traveled to YYZ this past weekend and I was trying to use GE lanes and they asked to the card. I don't travel with my card, I figured I just use the kioks but I guess they don't have any. I go thru the normal lanes, but then after that, I see kiosks, hm... I was confused.
Canada has kiosks for everybody. Faster that way.
Some airports in the US are rolling it out (at least on West Coast)
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:28 am
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Legacy Gold/Nu-Plat
I've found at Canadian airports, if you have Global Entry, you'll need the physical card to access to quicker security lane (the nexus/global entry security) while US Customs/preclearance area doesn't require the card, just go to the kiosk like you would at customs at a US airport.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:29 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Eddie98 View Post
Believe GE can only be used for kiosks when exiting Canada for US pre-clearance and you need Nexus if you want to use the kiosks for entry into Canada as well.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
I've found at Canadian airports, if you have Global Entry, you'll need the physical card to access to quicker security lane (the nexus/global entry security) while US Customs/preclearance area doesn't require the card, just go to the kiosk like you would at customs at a US airport.
When I was in YYZ in June they were asking for the card. Didn't have it on me and took ~25 minutes to get through security.
Old Sep 13, 18, 12:43 pm

You need to show the physical NEXUS card for expedited security but not for CBP.
Old Sep 13, 18, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
As others have said, you need the physical GE card to gain entry to the expedited security (CATSA) lanes at Canadian airports. The GE card is not valid for entry into Canada via the Nexus kiosks. You must have Nexus for expedited immigration entry (CBSA) into Canada. You can use the regular self-service passport kiosks at Canadian airports for entry but not the Nexus kiosks.

Nexus includes both Nexus and GE but GE does not include Nexus.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: