FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Question about Canadian passport control (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1930298-question-about-canadian-passport-control.html)

jaimemayo Sep 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Question about Canadian passport control

Hello, it’s been a while since I’ve flown to Canada. But next week I’m flying MKE-DTW-YYZ-YQB. Does anyone know if I go through passport control in YYZ before flying on to YQB? I’m flying DL to DTW and YYZ but then Westjet to YQB. Thanks!

xliioper Sep 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Yes, since you have an onward domestic flight and are not an international transit passenger, you will be cleared at YYZ.

MSPeconomist Sep 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Yes, and on the return you'll almost surely do USA preclearance before boarding your transborder segment to the USA. This tends to require extra time.

RealHJ Sep 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30198029)
Yes, and on the return you'll almost surely do USA preclearance before boarding your transborder segment to the USA. This tends to require extra time.

Much slower than that is CATSA (the Canadian "TSA"). Always extremely slow and inefficient. Nexus (supposedly faster) lanes are always a good 4 fold + slower than general lane, so if you have Nexus/Global Entry, just go in the regular line; the "faster" line is always slower and almost every "pre-cleared low-risk" traveler gets a painfully slow secondary screening, quite unlike the general public lines that are longer but much faster (though still slower than US TSA).

At HNL, DCA, SEA, etc. I rarely get to airport (int'l or domestic) more than 45 min before flight departure. In Canada you'd better get there at least 1h30m before, if not a full 2h. You'll need plenty of extra time for the painfully slow CATSA experience.

PHXflier Sep 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 30198052)
Much slower than that is CATSA (the Canadian "TSA"). Always extremely slow and inefficient. In Canada you'd better get there at least 1h30m before, if not a full 2h. You'll need plenty of extra time for the painfully slow CATSA experience.

My experience with CATSA is much different; about on par with the TSA, and perhaps a bit faster.

Finkface Sep 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 30198052)
Much slower than that is CATSA (the Canadian "TSA"). Always extremely slow and inefficient. Nexus (supposedly faster) lanes are always a good 4 fold + slower than general lane, so if you have Nexus/Global Entry, just go in the regular line; the "faster" line is always slower and almost every "pre-cleared low-risk" traveler gets a painfully slow secondary screening, quite unlike the general public lines that are longer but much faster (though still slower than US TSA).

At HNL, DCA, SEA, etc. I rarely get to airport (int'l or domestic) more than 45 min before flight departure. In Canada you'd better get there at least 1h30m before, if not a full 2h. You'll need plenty of extra time for the painfully slow CATSA experience.

Originally Posted by PHXflier (Post 30198165)
My experience with CATSA is much different; about on par with the TSA, and perhaps a bit faster.

Same here. With Nexus and no bags, I stroll in around 35-40 minutes before any flight, including pre-cleared transborder flights. Never waited long enough at CATSA to make it even a close call.

RealHJ Sep 12, 2018 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 30198180)
Same here. With Nexus and no bags, I stroll in around 35-40 minutes before any flight, including pre-cleared transborder flights. Never waited long enough at CATSA to make it even a close call.

Interesting. Both at YVR and YYZ the Nexus lines, every single time, have been about 5 minutes per person. With 4 people in front easily takes 20 minutes, vs. 15-20 people normal line goes through in 1/4 of the time.

As it's been my experience every time I thought it was universal CATSA being extra slow on the Nexus lines, and other travelers have also so remarked to me, but I really don't go to Canada frequently enough to have enough experience to be statistically significant. So I'll just put it down to bad luck (every single time I've been to Canada the last few years) then..

flyerCO Sep 13, 2018 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 30198180)

Same here at YYZ. Not much experience at YVR. However when went through month ago, no issues and was much, much quicker then regular lane.

Eddie98 Sep 13, 2018 10:18 am

Traveled to YYZ this past weekend and I was trying to use GE lanes and they asked to the card. I don't travel with my card, I figured I just use the kioks but I guess they don't have any. I go thru the normal lanes, but then after that, I see kiosks, hm... I was confused.

s0ssos Sep 13, 2018 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Eddie98 (Post 30199861)
Traveled to YYZ this past weekend and I was trying to use GE lanes and they asked to the card. I don't travel with my card, I figured I just use the kioks but I guess they don't have any. I go thru the normal lanes, but then after that, I see kiosks, hm... I was confused.

Canada has kiosks for everybody. Faster that way.
Some airports in the US are rolling it out (at least on West Coast)

ryw Sep 13, 2018 10:28 am

I've found at Canadian airports, if you have Global Entry, you'll need the physical card to access to quicker security lane (the nexus/global entry security) while US Customs/preclearance area doesn't require the card, just go to the kiosk like you would at customs at a US airport.

xliioper Sep 13, 2018 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Eddie98 (Post 30199861)

Believe GE can only be used for kiosks when exiting Canada for US pre-clearance and you need Nexus if you want to use the kiosks for entry into Canada as well.

apodo77 Sep 13, 2018 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ryw (Post 30199898)
I've found at Canadian airports, if you have Global Entry, you'll need the physical card to access to quicker security lane (the nexus/global entry security) while US Customs/preclearance area doesn't require the card, just go to the kiosk like you would at customs at a US airport.

When I was in YYZ in June they were asking for the card. Didn't have it on me and took ~25 minutes to get through security.

sydneyracquelle Sep 13, 2018 12:43 pm

You need to show the physical NEXUS card for expedited security but not for CBP.

Finkface Sep 13, 2018 1:22 pm

As others have said, you need the physical GE card to gain entry to the expedited security (CATSA) lanes at Canadian airports. The GE card is not valid for entry into Canada via the Nexus kiosks. You must have Nexus for expedited immigration entry (CBSA) into Canada. You can use the regular self-service passport kiosks at Canadian airports for entry but not the Nexus kiosks.

Nexus includes both Nexus and GE but GE does not include Nexus.