Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

1973 Delta ad for flights to Florida and the Bahamas from NYC

1973 Delta ad for flights to Florida and the Bahamas from NYC

Old Sep 12, 18, 10:47 am

I do remember flying with my family on Delta from JFK to Miami in the late 1970's. It was on a 727-200. Too bad I missed out flying on the 741. In coach, the service was still very good with a steak and eggs brunch with the Flight Attendants serving champagne.
Old Sep 12, 18, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by gernabae View Post
It's all about stage length.

That's what my last Tinder date said

gernabae likes this.
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:12 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Color me stupid that I had no idea 741's and DC-10's could take off from LGA.
If the load is light enough, it's no problem. Short flights to FL = less fuel = less weight.
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by pvn View Post
If the load is light enough, it's no problem. Short flights to FL = less fuel = less weight.
Regarding the 741 at LGA. There is runway/taxiway clearance/weight restrictions along with limitations on gate clearance, Is there evidence of a 747 ever operating at LGA? That would be interesting to know if it did. I don't think the 707 and the DC-8 operated out of LGA.

I do remember flying the L-1011 to ATL, FLL and MCO.out of LGA.
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Color me stupid that I had no idea 741's and DC-10's could take off from LGA.
The launch customer for the DC-10 -- AA -- insisted that the aircraft be capable of operating out of LGA. Given LGA's perimeter rule, the DC-10 was not going to fly a trans-con nonstop from LGA.

AA regularly flew DC-10s between LGA and DFW. AA also operated much shorter DC-10 flights out of LGA, including LGA-BUF and LGA-YYZ for a time.
Old Sep 14, 18, 12:04 am

Programs: DL
This is SO cool. I'm constantly flying LGA-FLL... can't imagine doing it on a widebody. Thanks for sharing!
Old Sep 14, 18, 12:15 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
My very first Delta flight was on a widebody, MIA-ATL in December 1985, in an L-1011.
Old Sep 14, 18, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
The launch customer for the DC-10 -- AA -- insisted that the aircraft be capable of operating out of LGA. Given LGA's perimeter rule, the DC-10 was not going to fly a trans-con nonstop from LGA.
I wonder if we'll see the end of the perimeter rule when the new LGA Delta terminal is finished in the future.
Old Sep 14, 18, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta View Post
My very first Delta flight was on a widebody, MIA-ATL in Dece mber 1985, in an L-1011.
My first flight on a DL L-1011 was in 1977. Back then it was 8 seats across in a 2-2-2-2 configuration. The center 2 group of seats were separated by a center compartment to hang your coats because there were no center bins. The DL DC-10's also had the same 8 across 2-2-2-2 configuration with the center coat compartment. In the In the late 70's the configuration was changed to 9 seats across in a 2-5-2 configuration which is most likely the configuration you had in 1985. The center bins were added to the longer range L-1011. The center bins were not added to the L-1011's that were used for the shorter domestic routes. The shortest DL L-1011 flight I was on was in 1983, MCO-ATL. I remember a sandwich was served on this flight and the flight had a very light load that day. The longest DL L-1011 flight I flew on was HNL-ATL back in 1999. Omaha steak was served.

Check out the "DL museum" website to view some rare interior cabin photos.of the early tri-jet wide-bodies. Go to:
Exhibits/Delta History/Aircraft by Type/Jets/Page down to more info./1973 DL L-1011 Brochure. There are some rare color photos of the original 8 across cabin. Notice the center coat compartment. Do the same drill in for the DC-10 and view a rare black & white photo (at the right of the screen) of this same configuration 8 across configuration.

Enjoy the photos.