Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SLC Concourse B to be renamed Concourse F, effective 9/12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

As part of the SLC reconstruction project, the existing concourses are being renamed. The concourse formally known as A was renamed to Concourse G a few months back (Delta doesn't run any flights out that concourse).

Effective 09/12, existing Concourse B will be renamed to Concourse F. Delta runs a fair number of flights out of B now, so don't go trying to find it past the E-gates if you're connecting.
altabello likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM GM , Marriott-Platinum Premier+Lifetime , Hilton-Blue, Nat'l-Emerald Club Executive Elite
Which concourse gets the Prince Symbol and the Batman Symbol?
PV_Premier and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:56 pm

Anyone find it strange they are renaming concourses years before the new terminal is scheduled to open?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:47 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trentryan
Anyone find it strange they are renaming concourses years before the new terminal is scheduled to open?
Not really; it's a phased build, and it's better to rename them now so people have time to get used to them before the new concourses are open.

They're planning to open the western part of the South Concourse (new-A) and North Concourse (new-B) in 2020, which is only a couple of years away. At that time, the current concourses will still be in use as well.

See https://www.slcairport.com/assets/Th...-Concourse.JPG for an overlay diagram; the interim configuration will be the western half of the new concourse, the new main terminal, and a connection to the existing concourses on the east side (originally named A-D from east to west but will be G F C D after the renamings). Part of E is already gone and the rest will go away soon.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by trentryan
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Not really; it's a phased build, and it's better to rename them now so people have time to get used to them before the new concourses are open.

They're planning to open the western part of the South Concourse (new-A) and North Concourse (new-B) in 2020, which is only a couple of years away. At that time, the current concourses will still be in use as well.
To rephrase that slightly, I would guess they want to get people “unused” to the existing A/B so that when the new A/B arrive, the old A/B will be a distant memory and cause less/no confusion.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:29 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Right, there's nothing better about waiting longer to make the change, and a lot of potential downsides.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
It will be interesting to see how obvious they make the signage to avoid confusion. In my experience, most airports fail miserably when it comes to proper signage during construction/renovation. I had no idea about the A change recently until pulling up to my B gate recently and saw the "G" gates across from me. I think it would make more sense to change B to F once they are completely done with the current E gates.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TuxTom
It will be interesting to see how obvious they make the signage to avoid confusion. In my experience, most airports fail miserably when it comes to proper signage during construction/renovation. I had no idea about the A change recently until pulling up to my B gate recently and saw the "G" gates across from me. I think it would make more sense to change B to F once they are completely done with the current E gates.
Well, the signs are about what you would expect. Everything that was B is now F. There are a few signs that say D & E one way and C, F, & G the other way. There are also signs around the airport that says B is now F.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Just went through SLC and, while the airport was its usual miserable self, I thought they did an excellent job of updating all the signage. It wasn’t just stickers - permanent signage indistinguishable from the old was in place, and all the details (like gate podium displays, app, etc.) had been covered.

Notably, the signage is the same 1992-style font and coloring - I assume the new airport will have a modern look and feel, but they aren’t partially rolling that out for now (ehich is probably wise).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BenA
Just went through SLC and, while the airport was its usual miserable self, I thought they did an excellent job of updating all the signage. It wasn’t just stickers - permanent signage indistinguishable from the old was in place, and all the details (like gate podium displays, app, etc.) had been covered.

Notably, the signage is the same 1992-style font and coloring - I assume the new airport will have a modern look and feel, but they aren’t partially rolling that out for now (ehich is probably wise).
It's not that bad. It's not like those horrible NYC airports or the old NW DTW hub.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
So "F" is now between "C" and "G"? You could write that GCF and I'll let you all figure out what that stands for. Talk about confusing.

-RM
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
So "F" is now between "C" and "G"? You could write that GCF and I'll let you all figure out what that stands for. Talk about confusing.

-RM
It's G - F - C - D - E
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
It's not that bad. It's not like those horrible NYC airports or the old NW DTW hub.
OK, I agree SLC clears that bar. But pre-McNamara DTW or the old PanAm WorldPort are the lowest of low bars for terminal quality. (Even modern NYC airports are, I agree, worse than SLC.)

That said, SLC in its current form is still pretty darn bad. IMHO, the main problem is concourse design - low ceilings, crowded gate areas, and a constant glob of people camped out in the middle of the walkway, paired with a pier model that ensures most mainline-to-regional connections involve the most possible walking. The main corridor connecting the concourses has travelators that are much too narrow, and the Sky Club is dated and overcrowded with way-too-small bathroom and dining facilities.

The new terminal should be amazing, but it's definitely a necessary investment. The new DTW-style layout will be a huge improvement once it's all finished!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by BenA
OK, I agree SLC clears that bar. But pre-McNamara DTW or the old PanAm WorldPort are the lowest of low bars for terminal quality. (Even modern NYC airports are, I agree, worse than SLC.)

That said, SLC in its current form is still pretty darn bad. IMHO, the main problem is concourse design - low ceilings, crowded gate areas, and a constant glob of people camped out in the middle of the walkway, paired with a pier model that ensures most mainline-to-regional connections involve the most possible walking. The main corridor connecting the concourses has travelators that are much too narrow, and the Sky Club is dated and overcrowded with way-too-small bathroom and dining facilities.

The new terminal should be amazing, but it's definitely a necessary investment. The new DTW-style layout will be a huge improvement once it's all finished!
The only connection that really bugged me is from E to what is now F. Everything else was quick and easy

It's true that the Sky Club has seen better days and it wasn't built for the amount of traffic SLC sees. Same with the airport. I usually don't go to my gate until boarding because of the crowding especially if your gate is at the end of the piers. So, it makes sense that they are building a new airport and from what I can tell, they are doing it right. It'll be yet another copy of ATL. Just think how advanced ATL was for its time.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
The only connection that really bugged me is from E to what is now F. Everything else was quick and easy

It's true that the Sky Club has seen better days and it wasn't built for the amount of traffic SLC sees. Same with the airport. I usually don't go to my gate until boarding because of the crowding especially if your gate is at the end of the piers. So, it makes sense that they are building a new airport and from what I can tell, they are doing it right. It'll be yet another copy of ATL. Just think how advanced ATL was for its time.
Curiously the only thing I'm looking forward to with the new terminal is the new SC. I'm sure everything else will be an impressive improvement, but right now all I'm thinking about is a more expansive, airy and brighter lounge, hopefully with showers.
skidv25 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.