Wiki Posts
Search

OOL? Items left in TPE ST Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
OOL? Items left in TPE ST Lounge

I flew China Airlines today TPE-HKG then took a ferry to Macau island.

It was only very late in the day that I realized all my Apple cables and plugs were missing. These were for my iPad Pro 2, iPhone X, and Apple Watch 3. Fortunately there is an Apple store in the mall adjacent to the JW Marriott Macau so no worries about keeping everything up and running until I return home ‘tomorrow night’.

The Macau Marriott Executive Club called the China Airlines lounge - I thought this was great lounge - and they said they have all these items + my (sentimental) small blue bag. I am told these items can be picked up within 6 months that they are currently still in the TPE CI lounge but will be moved to Lost & Found then police station in terminal 1.

I have two local friends that might retrieve these but I will not see them for months and cannot ask them to ship them to me. I will be spending hours in the HKG ST lounge waiting for my KE flight to ICN (then DL to ALT-OKC) but doubt another scenario would emerge.

Do I just right these off and ask my friends to take what they want or am I missing a solution?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
When I left my phone on an LH flight and it was turned in, the FRA lost and found told me I could arrange a courier to pick it up - this meant authorizing Fedex or DHL to act as my agent, who would pick it up, box it, and ship it to me at my expense.

I had family who could help in this case, but maybe this is an option for you -- of course you should evaluate the replacement cost ahead of time.

Tongue in cheek answer: This is Flyertalk! Mileage run to TPE?
btonkid12345 and Xeno like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
If you've already replaced the items, why bother going through the hassle of trying to get the originals back? Way too much trouble IMHO!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by audidudi
If you've already replaced the items, why bother going through the hassle of trying to get the originals back? Way too much trouble IMHO!
I want to at least give my friends an opportunity to take them, but I was so sleepy last night I wondered if an obvious solution had escaped me.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:05 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Why can't you ask your friends to mail them home to you?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
Why can't you ask your friends to mail them home to you?
Considering what I would be asking them to go through just to retrieve the items, I hesitate to not reward them in some way. Also I think shipping costs would not be worth all the trouble.

I naively thought that since CI has multiple flights TPE-HKG that someone could just put the cables in an envelope and get them delivered to the ST lounge in HKG. I thought I remembered DL doing something like this for me some years ago, but that was DL in the USA and it looks like the ground rules have changed with too many claiming items that they do not own.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Xeno
Considering what I would be asking them to go through just to retrieve the items, I hesitate to not reward them in some way. Also I think shipping costs would not be worth all the trouble.

I naively thought that since CI has multiple flights TPE-HKG that someone could just put the cables in an envelope and get them delivered to the ST lounge in HKG. I thought I remembered DL doing something like this for me some years ago, but that was DL in the USA and it looks like the ground rules have changed with too many claiming items that they do not own.
There's also likely security rule issues nowadays. No just carrying items on a plane without passenger onboard.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Not that it would make a difference, but I have a photo of where I sat in the lounge which shows my iPad hooked up and the little blue bag.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Gig103
Tongue in cheek answer: This is Flyertalk! Mileage run to TPE?
Throat might make sense as it is well known in th CX status game that HKG TPE or HKG MNL is the quickest was to earn Tier Points.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
​​​​​​Sending something from TPE to HKG involves crossing an international boarder.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
​​​​​​Sending something from TPE to HKG involves crossing an international boarder.
Like their FAs do all day long?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Like their FAs do all day long?
Come on. Obviously the issue isn't does the airline have employees that cross the border. The issue is the legality of personal property crossing a border without owner present. I can take my meds across the border with me. I can't have them shipped to me across the border.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Sounds like you don't need anything in the bag, but want the bag back. So why is it a problem to wait a few months until you see your friends? I don't get it.

I also don't know what OOL means... besides the Gold Coast Airport

Not many of these examples seem to make sense either, but a few are amusing!
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ool

Last edited by CPMaverick; Sep 12, 2018 at 12:08 am
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:35 am

I was confused by the reference in the title to Gold Coast Airport (OOL) ...took me a moment to realise the OP meant Out Of Luck!!!!
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Sounds like you don't need anything in the bag, but want the bag back. So why is it a problem to wait a few months until you see your friends? I don't get it.

I also don't know what OOL means... besides the Gold Coast Airport

Not many of these examples seem to make sense either, but a few are amusing!
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ool
When I started the thread, I kept hoping to get all the cables and plugs along with the bag that helps link them to me in the photo taken in the lounge mentioned earlier.

I subsequently offered all the items to my friends but at this point they have not registered any need for the cables and plugs. I might return to China next year but have no plans to return to TPE.

Sorry, but I thought Out Of Luck was obvious given the context.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.