Million Miler upgrade advantage?

Old Sep 10, 18, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM (MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Question Million Miler upgrade advantage?

No proof, just data points:

- Wife and I are DM
- Wife is at 700,000 miles, I am at 1.3M
- Wife has hit DL Amex spend for waiver (25k), I have not (both hold DL Platinum Biz cards)
- Neither of us are Reserve holders or Corporate travelers
- Wife's initial is before mine (A vs B) (shouldn't matter, but I threw that one out there)

- 3 bookings this year where I've booked her ticket first, mine immediately afterwards
- Always the same fare class (booked within minutes of each other when plenty of equivalent fare space available)

By the rules ( https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html ):

- Priority Complimentary Upgrade Hierarchy
1 - Medallion Status
2 - Fare Class Groupings: higher-priced fares are ranked above lower-priced fares
3 - Delta Reserve Credit Card Members
4 - Delta Corporate Travelers
5 - Card Members who earned the Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQD) Waiver in the current calendar year
6 - Date and time of upgrade request

For the wife and I:
1: tied
2: tied
3: n/a
4: n/a
5: wife
6: wife

Yet ALL 3 times, I've been upgraded before her.

On one call to DM line asking about why my wife's GUC didn't clear before mine, the DM agent did say "oh yes, MM status does make a difference"

So I don't know of a written rule out there about MM status improving upgrade, and I've seen others on FT swear that it makes no difference, but I beg to differ...unless somebody can offer a better explanation?
Old Sep 10, 18, 5:57 pm

As has been pointed out in numerous threads, we can only speculate about DL's priority order for upgrades. Some might be intentional, while other might be IT incompetence. Exhibit A: my last flight, my non-status companion, booked on my ticket that I paid for was listed ahead of me on the upgrade list
Old Sep 10, 18, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
I don't think it's published, and I doubt MM is coded into the upgrade priority on the backend systems. With 1.3M on DL, I'm sure you're familiar with the "features" of DL IT, and that not all DM agents are equally knowledgeable about the intricacies of Skymiles.

Are you sure that Ms. @BHammy hit the card waiver - both last year and this year?

It's possible that if you booked you and Ms. @BHammy's tickets from the same computer, the IP address/Skymiles account was flagged for duplicate tickets (you said they were booked back-to-back and in the same fare class) and your ticket was issued before your wife's - in which case you win the tiebreaker.
Old Sep 10, 18, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 13thandseven View Post
I don't think it's published, and I doubt MM is coded into the upgrade priority on the backend systems. With 1.3M on DL, I'm sure you're familiar with the "features" of DL IT, and that not all DM agents are equally knowledgeable about the intricacies of Skymiles.

Are you sure that Ms. @BHammy hit the card waiver - both last year and this year?

It's possible that if you booked you and Ms. @BHammy's tickets from the same computer, the IP address/Skymiles account was flagged for duplicate tickets (you said they were booked back-to-back and in the same fare class) and your ticket was issued before your wife's - in which case you win the tiebreaker.
Even if not flagged, there will be a second or two LAG between passenger one's ticket and passenger two's ticket being issued. Thus even when on same PNR the request is never exactly the same time.
Old Sep 10, 18, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13thandseven View Post
Agree to agree.

Yes, we both hit 2x last year, she hit $25k in March and is about to hit 2x this year - whereas I've dismissed the Amex spend completely this year for MQD threshold.

I think that is a whole 'nother can of worms with Delta. For a different set of times that I've booked myself (Brian) with my daughter (Brianna)...THAT whole reservation, upgrade system gets jacked (not eligible for even check-in, much less upgrade until we "check in with a gate representative")
All reservations with wifey and I booked have no problem (different SM#, etc) - just noticed that the upgrade process is 'altered'.
Old Sep 10, 18, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoyô️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
As another double diamond couple datapoint, I have never had a circumstance where Iíve been upgraded later than Mrs. BenA either. I too have long surmised MM status is a secret tiebreaker.

If true, itís a nice touch - as things currently stand, MM isnít officially useful for anything as long as you still fly regularly...
BHammy likes this.
Old Sep 10, 18, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you talking about free elite upgrades or instrument supported upgrades? For the latter, AFAIK DL has never published any sort of priority rules. [Your OP refers to GUCs being used.] The rules you quote are for free elite upgrades.
Old Sep 10, 18, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BenA View Post
As another double diamond couple datapoint, I have never had a circumstance where Iíve been upgraded later than Mrs. BenA either. I too have long surmised MM status is a secret tiebreaker.

If true, itís a nice touch - as things currently stand, MM isnít officially useful for anything as long as you still fly regularly...
Could the rule be "ladies first" since many elites claim to give upgrades to their wives?
Old Sep 10, 18, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Are you talking about free elite upgrades or instrument supported upgrades? For the latter, AFAIK DL has never published any sort of priority rules. [Your OP refers to GUCs being used.] The rules you quote are for free elite upgrades.
Both.
Old Sep 10, 18, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Yes DL does. I've posted them and links to them twicr.
bgriff likes this.
Old Sep 10, 18, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Yes DL does. I've posted them and links to them twicr.
Would you mind posting them in this thread or linking to wherever you've posted them?
Old Sep 10, 18, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

• If a seat becomes available in the cabin you are waitlisted for, upgrades will clear automatically based on Medallion Status. If multiple Members on the waitlist have the same Medallion Tier, upgrades will clear using the date and time each request was added to the waitlist.
  • If your Upgrade Certificate doesn't clear before check-in, you will be added to the airport standby list. While Upgrade Certificates clear the airport standby list before Complimentary Upgrades, they do follow the same clearance hierarchy.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...html/#waitlist
bgriff likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: