Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Florence Travel Waiver

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
It looks to me like Delta's weather folks are shading Florence farther north than everyone else. Including ORF and RIC but excluding CHS would indicate a direct hit to the Outer Banks of NC, I imagine. At least according to Delta's forecasts. NHC is currently projecting a little closer to Myrtle Beach.

Last edited by jrkmsp; Sep 10, 2018 at 2:56 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:51 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
In-laws have a flight home on Sat - ATL-ORF. Trying to decide if this should be changed. Current track looks like Sat might be an issue.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:57 pm

Just added CHS and SAV
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ulletin-1.html
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by kop84
+1
New list of cities:
  • Charleston, SC (CHS)
  • Fayetteville, NC (FAY)
  • Greensboro, NC (GSO)
  • Jacksonville, NC (OAJ)
  • Norfolk, VA (ORF)
  • New Bern, NC (EWN)
  • Myrtle Beach, SC (MYR)
  • Newport News, VA (PHF)
  • Raleigh- Durham, NC (RDU)
  • Richmond, VA (RIC)
  • Savannah, GA (SAV)
  • Wilmington, NC (ILM)
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:09 pm

An interesting first-time post, but...

does anyone have more info on the AF part of the bulletin, or know how they will handle this? (Flying with Delta a lot, but this time booked through AF starting in Europe).
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
The links posted above go to the "Delta Professional" site, which I admit I am not familiar with, but it doesn't seem to be targeted to the average traveler (even including us DMs )

Here is the layman's waiver: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...icane-florence

@sigik, are your flights marketed DL or AF? If AF, you'll almost definitely have to call DL to make any changes (and you might have to call AF first to get the DL confirmation number for your DL-operated flights). If your flights are DL-marketed, you might be able to change them online, but personally I would call and have an agent do it, so as to not inadvertently change the international segment (and any seat assignments, upgrades, etc. on it).
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by 13thandseven
The links posted above go to the "Delta Professional" site, which I admit I am not familiar with, but it doesn't seem to be targeted to the average traveler (even including us DMs )

Here is the layman's waiver: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...icane-florence

@sigik, are your flights marketed DL or AF? If AF, you'll almost definitely have to call DL to make any changes. If they're DL-marketed, you might be able to change them online, but personally I would call and have an agent do it so as to not mess with my international flight (and any seat assignments, upgrades, etc.).
I find that DL updates the agency page a few minutes in advance of the DL.com one, Depending on circumstance, that few min could be crucial.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Originally Posted by kop84
I find that DL updates the agency page a few minutes in advance of the DL.com one, Depending on circumstance, that few min could be crucial.
For an updated list of cities covered by a waiver when a few minutes are crucial, sure I guess. But unless you're refreshing that page constantly, I'm not sure how you'd know when it's updated. The other 99.9% (my estimate) of DL flyers, even those who book through an agency, get notified via email/text/app within minutes too, are covered by the same waiver, and don't have to even try to comprehend what "Required Documentation for Worldspan (1P), Apollo (1V), and Galileo (1G) when not applying Rapid Reprice and for all other GDS Users" means (on the DL pro site).

Anyway - I hope everyone on the East Coast is taking the right precautions and stays safe. This storm looks like it could be nasty.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Marriott
Does this waiver apply to Basic Economy rates as well or do those remain unchangeable?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by jagfan23
Does this waiver apply to Basic Economy rates as well or do those remain unchangeable?
Yes, you should be able to change Basic Economy tickets now because of the waiver.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by 13thandseven

Here is the layman's waiver: (removed URL, as I am not allowed to post URL for my first 5 messages)

@sigik, are your flights marketed DL or AF? If AF, you'll almost definitely have to call DL to make any changes (and you might have to call AF first to get the DL confirmation number for your DL-operated flights). If your flights are DL-marketed, you might be able to change them online, but personally I would call and have an agent do it, so as to not inadvertently change the international segment (and any seat assignments, upgrades, etc. on it).
The flight is actually booked and marketed by AF, so I assume DL will not even care about it; yay for dealing with AF, but oh well I guess they'll be just as nice, right?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by frankflieslots
wonder why charlotte is not on the list?
The storm is (currently as of advisory #048A ) expected to make landfall around Snead's Ferry (between ILM and OAJ) and then continue on a path up I-40 (pretty much to Durham), then turn Northward.

The worst winds/damage from Atlantic 'canes, due to their rotation, is in the Northeast quadrant around the storm (outer banks, eastern NC). On the opposite side, CLT isn't (currently) forecast to get any TS level winds.

I say *currently* because these things (intensity, track) can and do change. And I expect the weather waivers may be adjusted going forward.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by sigik
The flight is actually booked and marketed by AF, so I assume DL will not even care about it; yay for dealing with AF, but oh well I guess they'll be just as nice, right?
I didn't realize that actual refund is only given once a flight is actually canceled; not that you can voluntarily give up the flight because the airline might want to preemptively make sure no one goes in. So even if maybe it's not a good idea for anyone to go into a region with a declared state of emergency, the flight needs to be canceled first (which, then, is fun when you're already on a plane CDG-ATL and the connection gets canceled, and you're stuck in ATL despite having known beforehand that it's not a good idea).

Can this be correct?

PS: to make things really interesting: the flight was partially paid with a KLM voucher on AF, which makes it SO much more fun to be in the 'talk to the other airline, it's their flight/voucher/...' ping pong game.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by sigik
I didn't realize that actual refund is only given once a flight is actually canceled; not that you can voluntarily give up the flight because the airline might want to preemptively make sure no one goes in. So even if maybe it's not a good idea for anyone to go into a region with a declared state of emergency, the flight needs to be canceled first (which, then, is fun when you're already on a plane CDG-ATL and the connection gets canceled, and you're stuck in ATL despite having known beforehand that it's not a good idea).

Can this be correct?

PS: to make things really interesting: the flight was partially paid with a KLM voucher on AF, which makes it SO much more fun to be in the 'talk to the other airline, it's their flight/voucher/...' ping pong game.
Yes it's correct, it's pretty much the same across all the major airlines for pretty much every bulletin event. You can change your ticket to virtually anything only paying the fare difference or you can keep roughly the same O/D within a week or so of the "event" whatever it may be for an even exchange. But can't get a refund until the flight cancels.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
New cities under the waiver: CLT, ROA, CAE, CHO
Affected airports include:
  • Charleston, SC (CHS)
  • Charlotte, NC (CLT)
  • Charlottesville, VA (CHO)
  • Columbia, SC (CAE)
  • Fayetteville, NC (FAY)
  • Greensboro, NC (GSO)
  • Jacksonville, NC (OAJ)
  • Myrtle Beach, SC (MYR)
  • Norfolk, VA (ORF)
  • New Bern, NC (EWN)
  • Newport News, VA (PHF)
  • Raleigh-Durham, NC (RDU)
  • Richmond, VA (RIC)
  • Roanoke, VA (ROA)
  • Savannah, GA (SAV)
  • Wilmington, NC (ILM)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.