Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Cancelling and changing dates for Delta non refundable RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓

we currently have 2 one month trips to SE Asia confirmed on Delta business class non refundable. First trip is in December and 2nd middle of January to middle of February. We changed our minds for personal preference reasons. First trip is to SIN on all Delta metal and second is to BKK on a combination DL metal and DL codeshare on Korean air. All booked on Delta website.

Thinking of cancelling 2nd trip(won’t be able to use) and Would like to leave first trip outbound flights the same but change the return from SIN to March. We would use regional airlines to go to KUL and BKK.

I tried to change first trip return flights on the Delta app. But app notified I must call Delta.

I realize there will change fees and cancellation fees. Also we have to pay for increased fares.

Any tips before I call Delta?

Last edited by davidlhanson; Sep 9, 2018 at 11:53 am
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by davidlhanson
we currently have 2 one month trips to SE Asia confirmed on Delta business class non refundable. First trip is in December and 2nd middle of January to middle of February. We changed our minds for personal preference reasons. First trip is to SIN on all Delta metal and second is to BKK on DL metal and DL codes are on Korean air. All booked on Delta website.

Thinking of cancelling 2nd trip. Would like to leave first trip outbound flights the same but change the return from SIN to March. We would use regional airlines to go to KUL and BKK.

I tried to change first trip return flights on the Delta app. But app notified I must call Delta.

I realize there will change fees and cancellation fees. Also we have to pay for increased fares.

Any tips before I call Delta?

Sounds like your original bookings were:
US-SIN-US in Dec, and US-BKK-US in Jan/Feb.

You propose to change this to one booking:
US-SIN-US in Dec/Mar.

Your original purchase date is important to know, as your original tickets are valid for 12 months from date of purchase. Assuming both trips have the same data of purchase and that date is after March 2018, then you should be able to use either ticket to book a new itinerary US-SIN-US outbound in Dec, return in March.

Since travel has not yet started, you cannot "keep" your original priced US-SIN itinerary outbound - the entire itinerary is repriced with today's prices. Keeping that in mind, you should decide which ticket is most advantageous to rebook now as the new US-SIN-US ticket. The other ticket's value ends 12 months from its date of purchase. Depending on that purchase date and your travel plans, you might have limited options to use the value of that second ticket.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you decide to use the first ticket, it could be to your advantage to avoid changing it until after the outbound segments have been flown.

You should also check that your proposed travel won't violate maximum stay requirements in your fare rules.

Be prepared also for airline staff and immigration personnel to ask for evidence that you won't violate the maximum length of time someone with your passport can stay in Singapore (without some sort of residence visa, which I assume you don't have and don't plan to get). You might need hard copies of ticket and plane reservations for travel to a third country at the time you fly the outbound segments.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
Thank you to both of you for giving me an education on Delta policy.

US - BKK- US was purchase on June 9, 2018 (dates are mid January to mid February) Cost $5094 x 2
US - SIN - US was purchased on June 25, 2018 (dates are November 29 to December 26) Cost $ 6641 x 2

Since we are changing we would like to leave US earlier in November but we could leave on the original date if it helps.

We could travel back to Asia in May 2019 to use the Delta stored value from the cancellation of one of these trips.
Added comment: My wife just told me that she wants to be there in June because that is a good season for tropical fruit. So it seems that I will need to cancel the US-SIN-US trip for her to be happy. Is it possible for me to change the US-BKK-US trip into a US-SIN-US trip?

My wife is Chinese Malaysian but only with a USA passport after naturalization. I also have a USA passport.

We only plan to stay in Singapore 4 days at beginning and 4 days at end of trip. Malaysia gives 90 day visas for USA citizens, I believe. And Thailand has a 30 day on arrival visa which can be extended (we don't plan to extend it)

Does it make any sense to cancel both of them and start over?

We are not stuck on SIN being our SE Asia landing country but it seems convenient since we want to spend most of our time in Malaysia.

Last edited by davidlhanson; Sep 10, 2018 at 10:16 am
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
My wife just told me that she wants to be there in June because that is a good season for tropical fruit.
Sounds like she wants to be there for the start of durian season. Can't say I blame her. That's also a good time to get mangosteen. So in June it's possible to gorge on both the King and Queen of Fruit simultaneously.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - As you seem a bit unfamiliar with this, I would suggest that you pay a TA's fee to analyze the pricing options here and reticket. You could call DL and obtain this information, but information can be unreliable and there may be some very significant savings to achieve by making the right choices. You are looking for a real bricks & mortar TA which handles complex ticketing. Expect to pay an hour fee for "research". Sometimes it is worth spending a bit to save a lot.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - As you seem a bit unfamiliar with this, I would suggest that you pay a TA's fee to analyze the pricing options here and reticket. You could call DL and obtain this information, but information can be unreliable and there may be some very significant savings to achieve by making the right choices. You are looking for a real bricks & mortar TA which handles complex ticketing. Expect to pay an hour fee for "research". Sometimes it is worth spending a bit to save a lot.
Very unfamiliar! I retired 17 years ago from the corporate world, where my employer's contract TA took care of everything. And we haven't travelled internationally for 20 years (a trip to Malaysia with our high school age children).

AAA travel agents will help me for free because I have the highest level of membership but since they don't book flights much anymore, I am not sure they would be the best choice.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Sounds like she wants to be there for the start of durian season. Can't say I blame her. That's also a good time to get mangosteen. So in June it's possible to gorge on both the King and Queen of Fruit simultaneously.
It sounds like this will be very expensive fruit if we include the cost of two RT TPAC D1 fares plus change fees and additional fare.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Very unfamiliar! I retired 17 years ago from the corporate world, where my employer's contract TA took care of everything. And we haven't travelled internationally for 20 years (a trip to Malaysia with our high school age children).

AAA travel agents will help me for free because I have the highest level of membership but since they don't book flights much anymore, I am not sure they would be the best choice.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It sounds like this will be very expensive fruit if we include the cost of two RT TPAC D1 fares plus change fees and additional fare.
A ripe durian is worth every penny of that TPAC D1 fare. If the sweetness and tones of caramel are at their peak, and the texture is as smooth as silk (and as sticky as cream cheese), the sensations of pleasure will wash over you like an awesome wave.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Did half of the change yesterday

I cancelled the trip to BKK yesterday. Bought tickets for longer trip to SIN for November 29 to Feb 28. Ended up with a little over $500 each in ecredits which expire on June 9. So we are ahead even after $ 900 in cancellation fees.

I couldn't book the new flights without Delta's help. My wife's ecredits were fine but mine were not because of a name difference-- middle initial vs middle name. Delta didn't charge me for the help And the agents were competent and nice.

Next step is to cancel original one month trip to SIN and book flights back to SIN for one month starting May 20 as the resulting ecredits expire on June 25.

Thanks again for the advice.

​​​​
gooselee likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta PM
I cancelled the trip to BKK yesterday. Bought tickets for longer trip to SIN for November 29 to Feb 28. Ended up with a little over $500 each in ecredits which expire on June 9. So we are ahead even after $ 900 in cancellation fees.

I couldn't book the new flights without Delta's help. My wife's ecredits were fine but mine were not because of a name difference-- middle initial vs middle name. Delta didn't charge me for the help And the agents were competent and nice.

Next step is to cancel original one month trip to SIN and book flights back to SIN for one month starting May 20 as the resulting ecredits expire on June 25.

Thanks again for the advice.

​​​​
You had expensive tickets. That makes it easier.
Only thing I would have added to the good advice given above is to flight alternative flights and costs on your own, so you have a sense of what's possible. You may not get an agent who tells you that yo ucan save thousands by flying on another day or routing.

USA to HKG is the most competitive routing, VIA ICN is not. PDX-NRT has some deals once in awhile.

Last edited by wxman22; Sep 11, 2018 at 8:39 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by wxman22
You had expensive tickets. That makes it easier.
Only thing I would have added to the good advice given above is to flight alternative flights and costs on your own, so you have a sense of what's possible. You may not get an agent who tells you that yo ucan save thousands by flying on another day or routing.

USA to HKG is the most competitive routing, VIA ICN is not. PDX-NRT has some deals once in awhile.
However, DL will soon be discontinuing its sole HKG flight (nonstop from SEA and vv) and the obvious alternatives are to use KE through ICN or MU through PVG/BEJ (or possibly CZ through CAN/PVG, but DL seems to have a closer partnership with MU than CZ currently).
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Please help me understand how to book a Delta trip to SIN to go through a city like Seattle or San Francisco or Los Angeles? When I searched for RT flights on Delta on Monday - I believe all the flights shown started in TPA, where we live, to ATL (there might have been a DTW) to Korea to Singapore. The lowest cost were flown mostly on Korean Air metal.

Delta agents booked our new flights for November as MultiCity - is that how you have to do it? With MultiCity, you have to work out your own connection times, correct?

I still need to book our May 2019 flights after cancelling the original November flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.