Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Threat from Delta FA about Calling Customs on Passenger with Duty Free

Threat from Delta FA about Calling Customs on Passenger with Duty Free

Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by whimike
Being an American, who has lived American culture my entire life, but also versed in many other cultures, I haven't a clue what you are talking about. Sounds like you are referring to North Korea or Iran.
Have you lived in North Korea or Iran? If not, sounds like you're making the exact same error you're accusing the person you quoted. Quite hypocritical.

To those questioning carry on policy at the gate in SDQ - technically DL policy allows duty free and other airport purchases on board in addition to the normal carry on allowance - and if this wasn't enough support, I'm sure it was inexpensive enough to bribe the GA
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Right and wrong.

Right that the issue of drinking one's own booze onboard is a matter of DL's safety & security policy filed with FAA and thus enforceable as a DOT violation (max fine $11,000) and has nothing to do with CBP. As it is a carrier rule, the policy can and does vary by carrier. In the particular case, the larger question is why on earth DL would permit anyone to bring 10 carryons onto an aircraft, whether they contain alcohol or paper towels.

Wrong that duty free is not worth it for importation into the US. While it may be that duty free is rarely a particularly good deal, it is rubbish that CBP imposes a duty on all imported liquor. There is, in fact a variable duty free allowance by both dollar value and alcohol volume.
Incorrect it is an FAR
121.575 Alcoholic beverages.
(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

A airline may chose to serve alcohol brought by the pax ie JBU but that is purely a customer service issue and has nothing to do with the FAA.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ROCAT
Incorrect it is an FAR
121.575 Alcoholic beverages.
(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

A airline may chose to serve alcohol brought by the pax ie JBU but that is purely a customer service issue and has nothing to do with the FAA.
Confusing two different issues. Consuming on your own, your own alcohol v.s. consuming your own alcohol but having FA serve it. First is prohibited by FAR, the latter is not. Instead by policy an airline may prohibit it. If done by policy then Often1 description is correct.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by whimike
Being an American, who has lived American culture my entire life, but also versed in many other cultures, I haven't a clue what you are talking about. Sounds like you are referring to North Korea or Iran.
I'm sorry that you've experienced other cultures but haven't noticed that American culture is far more rife with violent images and language than most. It's hardly a borderline claim. There's considerable research on the phenomena.
emrdoc likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Just fire the FA and call it a day, this is Delta we're talking about, they probably have about 100 qualified candidates in line just for that one job.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Just fire the FA and call it a day, this is Delta we're talking about, they probably have about 100 qualified candidates in line just for that one job.
Snap. DL then is unionized. At least until it's voted on by PMDL FA, DL isn't going to risk them unionizing.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Have you lived in North Korea or Iran? If not, sounds like you're making the exact same error you're accusing the person you quoted. Quite hypocritical.
"It's all about fear, compliance, intimidation, and control."

I think countries that execute people for having views contrary to and/or peacefully demonstrating against their government meet the criteria for using fear and intimidation to control and create compliance. In Iran the government even hangs executed people in public squares for the public to see. Nobody needs to live in those countries to understand the extreme human rights abuses and extrajudicial killings that go on. Suggesting it is hypocritical, when a plethora of evidence exists to prove these events, indicates you may live in a bubble.

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
I'm sorry that you've experienced other cultures but haven't noticed that American culture is far more rife with violent images and language than most. It's hardly a borderline claim. There's considerable research on the phenomena.
I can only speak to my personal experience. What I notice in the US is that the media sensationalizes negative events, but all around the world the same violent movies/tv shows/video games are shown/available. Other than on the news, I don't experience any more violent images or language in the US than I do in most other countries I have been to. I am not sure how this all leads to "It's all about fear, compliance, intimidation, and control.", there are many other countries/cultures I have experienced where I feel much more intimidation and fear.

Last edited by whimike; Sep 9, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
I think the thread has become a "are we just as bad as Iran and North Korea thread.

Personally, I just found it excessive and odd that the FA would say they will inform customs and wait for police to arrive if someone opened their duty free liquor. Had I been the gentlemen who boarded and immediately heard that announcement I would have felt uncomfortable and would have felt singled out, not because of my bad taste in liquor (he had bags of Barcelo) but because I just got called out and I hadn't even sat in my seat yet.

By the way, the guy cleared passport control with no issue, but he did get pulled aside for a secondary check after he claimed his baggage. But I doubt the FA called customs on him, the 10 bags screamed bother me.
wrp96 and emrdoc like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
FA needs some lessons in dealing with the public. I had an supr in a service business treat customers similar to that. She is still looking for her "best" job.

Luck for the FA the person she may have been after did not cause a ruckus and blame her for discrimination - we all know how that goes.

As to the passenger - I wonder if they had to connect in the states and therefore could no longer carry the booze on board...LOL!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.