Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta no longer booking domestic group travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta no longer booking domestic group travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
This is no different than the business model for corporate discounts. DL requires an enrolled corporate TA to handle ticketing and the like. Why? It shifts the work burden to the TA who is paid by the business.

Group tickets, just like many corporate discounts, typically offer a feature which cannot be monetized in advance in the fare calculation, e.g., the ability to either change passengers up until some time shortly before departure or not even supply passenger names until that time. While it may be that some groups have fixed participation, in many, such as school teams and the like, there are substitutions and it is a real benefit to be able to do so without major penalties.

I also see a very real value in using a TA experienced in booking trips. Not only will many provide reduced fees if you do some of the legwork, but they can also be helpful in providing ancillary services such as ground transfers and finding unpublished rates at hotels. There can be savings far in excess of the fee.

As a final matter, having the TA collect payment takes a time and personal burden off the organizer. Sometimes the funds are already in a team or club account and payment is easy. But, on other occasions, each participant must step forward with payment. No better way to lose friends and cause resentment than becoming a collection agency.

Bottom line is that with other tinkering around the edges, UA and AA will follow suit soon enough.
Multiple problems here. First, they are requiring far more than a garden variety TA. School teams and community groups are simply not going to contract with travel management companies designed to meet the needs of businesses.

Second, I am perfectly capable of negotiating with hotels and their sales departments. I'm also pretty good at using best rate guarantees to bring down costs. I've got this.

Third, having the TA collect payment from our students would cause a real mess. We charge a set cost for the whole trip. That may include all sorts of things (airfare, rental cars, gas, meals, hotel, tournament entry and judge fees, activities, theatre tickets, parking, etc.). The last thing I want is for families to have to pay the TA for part of the trip (airfare, rental cars, hotel, some activities) and then pay the school an additional fee for the rest (tournament entry and judge fees, gas, parking, meals, their share of chaperone travel expenses, etc.). The families will be confused about whether they have paid for the trip, and I'll have to communicate with both the TA and my business office about billing. Sounds like a nightmare.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EBiafore99
I don't think DL is getting out of groups; rather, Delta is getting out of being the TA for groups. I actually agree with Delta on this one. As the previous poster mentioned, it would be better to go through a TA on something like this. When you talk about providing names later, changing names, etc. as described in your post, I would rather have one point of contact at a TA rather than calling into a central group line and getting a different rep each time.
It's fine that you would rather use a TA. Nothing was or is stopping you from doing so. I, however, would prefer not to use a TA. I've been traveling with student groups for 35 years. I stopped using a TA 16 years ago when the airlines stopped paying commissions to TAs, and TAs starting tacking on a $25 surcharge for the tickets they issued. I would rather do the extra work than pay additional fees. If you look at my profile you'll see that I travel a lot. I think I've got this stuff figured out.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:58 am

The reality is that not every business wants every customer. For whatever reason, Delta has decided that domestic groups aren't worth the effort (or the extra labor costs) to stay in the group travel business. Without access to proprietary information, none of us can know exactly why Delta made this decision. I also think it's unlikely that Delta will change their mind and reverse course.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
Originally Posted by lexdevil
It's fine that you would rather use a TA. Nothing was or is stopping you from doing so. I, however, would prefer not to use a TA. I've been traveling with student groups for 35 years. I stopped using a TA 16 years ago when the airlines stopped paying commissions to TAs, and TAs starting tacking on a $25 surcharge for the tickets they issued. I would rather do the extra work than pay additional fees. If you look at my profile you'll see that I travel a lot. I think I've got this stuff figured out.
I understand everything you are saying here and have mentioned in the previous posts. However, the airline industry has changed and you may need to change with it. Based on your previous posts Delta was $65 cheaper than Southwest, so even with a $25 TA fee (for example), you're still $40 ahead.

Are you sure the school has to sign a contract with a TA? For example, AAA has a relationship with Delta (at least in Michigan - I have used them before). If you or a colleague are a member, maybe they can assist you without a contract and/or a reduced fee.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Do more, pay less. Airlines has in the last few decades, squashed the needs for travel agents by offering more online resources and providing less compensations, and now Delta is making them do more for segment of business Delta doesn't want.

Are there travel agents still in business, wanting this segment of service?

Jiburi
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There had been a guy on FT, who participated in the DL forum and some of the hotel fora for example, who worked as a travel agent and either he or his entire agency specialized in group trips using discounts for charitable organizations and other nonprofits, including church missionary trips. I wonder whether he would be able/willing to do school group trips and related ticketing. I wish I could remember his username or other details, but I think he was located in the far (southern?) suburbs of MSP.
lexdevil likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
The reality is that not every business wants every customer. For whatever reason, Delta has decided that domestic groups aren't worth the effort (or the extra labor costs) to stay in the group travel business. Without access to proprietary information, none of us can know exactly why Delta made this decision. I also think it's unlikely that Delta will change their mind and reverse course.
I agree. I don't like it, but it's their decision. I was really just posting to make people aware of it.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EBiafore99
I understand everything you are saying here and have mentioned in the previous posts. However, the airline industry has changed and you may need to change with it. Based on your previous posts Delta was $65 cheaper than Southwest, so even with a $25 TA fee (for example), you're still $40 ahead.

Are you sure the school has to sign a contract with a TA? For example, AAA has a relationship with Delta (at least in Michigan - I have used them before). If you or a colleague are a member, maybe they can assist you without a contract and/or a reduced fee.
They were very specific about the type of travel agency. They specifically required a managed travel agency, not just a regular travel agent.

As to the cost, Delta used to charge a $25 per ticket phone ticketing fee on group tickets. I still booked groups with them when it was advantageous to do so. In this case, if we had a contract with a managed travel agency and they charged an additional $25 per ticket, I would opt for Southwest because once checked bag fees are added, Southwest is cheaper. Additionally, the Southwest flight is non-stop and Delta had stops.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There had been a guy on FT, who participated in the DL forum and some of the hotel fora for example, who worked as a travel agent and either he or his entire agency specialized in group trips using discounts for charitable organizations and other nonprofits, including church missionary trips. I wonder whether he would be able/willing to do school group trips and related ticketing. I wish I could remember his username or other details, but I think he was located in the far (southern?) suburbs of MSP.
That's super interesting. I hope he announces himself.

At the same time, I think that there is a good chance that he does not meet Delta's new requirements for domestic groups. I imagine he can still use them for booking international trips.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I would be curious as to how many managed/"known" TAs and groups are out there vs the one off group bookings. I would also be curious as to how many groups said they need x amount of seats only to decrease to y at day of departure. Perhaps this was a revenue stop-loss?

International group bookings still exist because a lot of tour groups, especially from Asia are a bulk of their business. I've flown on many Asian routes where the seat map was completely empty, only to find out the flight was oversold. When I inquired about the loss of seats within 24 hours, many different agents told me there were one or two very large groups (100+ per) that just didn't have seats assigned to them.

That being said, since even December is still a long time away from February, the chances are having prices increase dramatically between now and December is improbable (unless it's around a holiday). Depending on how many people you have, you can always wait until you know who is going. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, I would look into another airline that still does this. I hate to say it, but if you don't take those seats, someone else will, and probably at a much higher rate per seat than if you were to receive a group discount.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Multiple problems here. First, they are requiring far more than a garden variety TA. School teams and community groups are simply not going to contract with travel management companies designed to meet the needs of businesses.

Second, I am perfectly capable of negotiating with hotels and their sales departments. I'm also pretty good at using best rate guarantees to bring down costs. I've got this.

Third, having the TA collect payment from our students would cause a real mess. We charge a set cost for the whole trip. That may include all sorts of things (airfare, rental cars, gas, meals, hotel, tournament entry and judge fees, activities, theatre tickets, parking, etc.). The last thing I want is for families to have to pay the TA for part of the trip (airfare, rental cars, hotel, some activities) and then pay the school an additional fee for the rest (tournament entry and judge fees, gas, parking, meals, their share of chaperone travel expenses, etc.). The families will be confused about whether they have paid for the trip, and I'll have to communicate with both the TA and my business office about billing. Sounds like a nightmare.
Don't take it wrong, but it may simply be that you are the customer does not want.

Perhaps other carriers have a different model or will change to DL's model soon enough.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Both Alaska and United have non-stops, but they're running about $80 more expensive than Southwest. And with either of them we need to add in another $50 in checked bag fees per person.

Southwest is also non-stop from OAK rather than SFO, so we may even depart on time.
Double check with AS regarding checked bags. I feel like they used to offer a free bag for group travel - this might still be the case.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
I would be curious as to how many managed/"known" TAs and groups are out there vs the one off group bookings. I would also be curious as to how many groups said they need x amount of seats only to decrease to y at day of departure. Perhaps this was a revenue stop-loss?
No group can cancel day of travel without forfeiting the full price of the ticket. Payment is usually due 60 days prior to the flight. This would actually be a win for the airline, because the fare is fully forfeited. There would be no credit left that the purchaser could use on a later flight (with a $200 change fee).

Additionally, group tickets are never very much cheaper than regular tickets. The discount is usually 5% off of what the airline is charging individuals. They don't really have to discount at all. The key for groups id flexibility for name changes.

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
That being said, since even December is still a long time away from February, the chances are having prices increase dramatically between now and December is improbable (unless it's around a holiday). Depending on how many people you have, you can always wait until you know who is going.
Waiting does not work because we have to announce the trip price BEFORE the students sign up. We can't ask families to commit to pay for something without knowing the price.

Last edited by lexdevil; Sep 7, 2018 at 7:21 pm
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Don't take it wrong, but it may simply be that you are the customer does not want.

Perhaps other carriers have a different model or will change to DL's model soon enough.
I think it is pretty clear that Delta has decided it can do without my business. I'm not insulted at all.

Losing Delta is not a big problem for me, though it does limit my options for some destinations we return to every year. Happily Southwest has non-stops to SLC and ATL, so we can manage without Delta.

It will become a big problem for me and most other school and community groups if the other carriers follow suit.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
I think it is pretty clear that Delta has decided it can do without my business. I'm not insulted at all.

Losing Delta is not a big problem for me, though it does limit my options for some destinations we return to every year. Happily Southwest has non-stops to SLC and ATL, so we can manage without Delta.

It will become a big problem for me and most other school and community groups if the other carriers follow suit.
Indeed this is what Delta has decided. Some posters above have come close to explaining why DL made this decision, referring to the labor costs involved in booking and ticketing a group. But it goes further than that - the conversion to sale on group quoting for non-IATA requested groups was just too low. It sounds like you know exactly what you're doing, but many who requested domestic groups did not, and that has ruined it for the seasoned group organizers like yourself.

Air Canada has taken this even further and won't accept group requests for any destinations (including international travel) from anyone except for IATA-registered travel agencies.

I hope that helps,
bawm
writerguyfl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.