Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta - AF codeshare paid upgrade in transit - help?

Old Sep 3, 18, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

Hi, im traveling on a delta ticket, and going from STL to DTW to CDG. The DTW to CDG flight is a codeshare operated by Air France. What is the best option on day of travel to see if PAID upgrades are available? Is it best to leave airside on DTW to the checkin for AD at DTW and see? Or ask the gate agent at DTW? I doubt STL will know, since there is no AF there, just delta.

On oneworld, i would do this from STL - ORD - LHR by going to the BA desk at ORD and asking, even if it was a AA ticket.
Im not sure how to do this with delta and AF

Thanks
Old Sep 3, 18, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, MM
If it’s at all like MSP-CDG on AF, the gate agents manage paid upgrades at the gate.
Old Sep 3, 18, 4:36 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
You could try tweeting Air France. I can't remember if I've done this on a DL ticket though...
Old Sep 3, 18, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Either the GA or a Skyclub agent . Every Skyclub that has AF flight passengers has a sign. Even if they can't process (most can) they can call the gate for you.
Old Sep 4, 18, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, UA 1K, MAR PLT, SPG PLT, HH GLD
Another long shot option (if you share the date of travel) is to upfare in advance to premium economy (change fee typically waived) on the outbound and use 25K SkyMiles to upgrade. Anyone with ExpertFlyer can check AF "O" upgrade availability on your behalf. This may be more complicated but might potentially resolve your issue in advance of the airport (in addition to receiving the same MQM's as business class).

This could be a better value proposition.
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta PM, MM
Originally Posted by langbr01 View Post
Another long shot option (if you share the date of travel) is to upfare in advance to premium economy (change fee typically waived) on the outbound and use 25K SkyMiles to upgrade. Anyone with ExpertFlyer can check AF "O" upgrade availability on your behalf. This may be more complicated but might potentially resolve your issue in advance of the airport (in addition to receiving the same MQM's as business class).

This could be a better value proposition.
Last year I bought a PE ticket on AF for MSP-CDG and had no problem upgrading with 20,000 SM right after purchasing my ticket. This year I again bought a PE ticket but was unable, despite fairly frequent calls, to get a SkyMiles upgrade, which now costs 25,000. However, I was able to get an upgrade at the gate for $319.