Search

Delta Travel Advice/Insight Needed!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Delta Travel Advice/Insight Needed!

Hi FT Community,

So, I was originally booked roundtrip Detroit to Denver nonstop, both directions. Due to schedule changes, and limited flights on my date to return to Detroit, here is my updated itinerary (keep in mind, I booked NONSTOP flights to start with): DTW-DEN (great, no problem going out), DEN-LAX-JFK-DTW-TVC (free mileage run? also, they let me add a flight to save 4 hours of driving home for free!). I'll be flying DTW-DEN, LAX-JFK, JFK-DTW, and DTW-TVC in Comfort Plus and DEN-LAX (first leg of return) in First Class. Will I receive full SkyPriority benefits (it's marked at the top of my reservation on the FlyDelta App even though I'm only a Silver Medallion) and PREM boarding all the way back due to the first return segment being flown in First? Additionally, I have 5 hours in LAX and 4 hours in JFK - are there any SkyClubs or other NEARBY lounges (like a United Club or Admirals Club) that I can pay to access in either of those locations? Keeping in mind I'm only a Silver Medallion and don't have complimentary SkyClub access... *sigh*. Never have flown through LAX and only through JFK once, so any insight here would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Each BP will reflect the zone for which you qualify. PREM will only show for segments you're in F. SKY for segments in C+ and Zone 1 for Y. You'll board based in the appropriate zone. Being in F one segment doesn't mean you get to board with PREM for all.

Lounges at LAX rarely sell single visit pass due to capacity. If they do it's $59. JFK is more likely to sell them. Note you'll need to pay $59 at each. The pass from LAX won't get you in at JFK as they're visit not day passes.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you saying intentionally requested the return routing in order to get a free mileage run or were auto-rebooked on that routing? I'm having a hard time believing the auto-rebooking system would construct that routing or that the routing options were so limited that was the only one available. Between SLC, SEA, MSP, CVG, JFK, and ATL there must be a least a few options to get you between DEN and DTW without a double-connect if the non-stop flights aren't available/don't work.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
So, if I read this right, the question is - are there lounges at JFK or LAX for you - right? (not sure what all the other stuff is about)

I assume you do not have AMEX or Priority Pass?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Are you saying intentionally requested the return routing in order to get a free mileage run or were auto-rebooked on that routing? I'm having a hard time believing the auto-rebooking system would construct that routing or that the routing options were so limited that was the only one available. Between SLC, SEA, MSP, CVG, JFK, and ATL there must be a least a few options to get you between DEN and DTW without a double-connect if the non-stop flights aren't available/don't work.
I need to depart DEN after 3PM and this was literally the only way to get to TVC because of a lack of flights as this is the day after Taftergiving. This was manually done by an agent.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
So, if I read this right, the question is - are there lounges at JFK or LAX for you - right? (not sure what all the other stuff is about)

I assume you do not have AMEX or Priority Pass?
I do not have AMEX or Priority Pass.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackFranchino
I need to depart DEN after 3PM and this was literally the only way to get to TVC because of a lack of flights as this is the day after Taftergiving. This was manually done by an agent.
Hmm, wouldn't think the 19 minutes difference between the 2:41PM DEN-DTW flight and the 3:00PM DEN-LAX flight would make that much difference, but whatever. If you don't want to lay out much cash, you can get a Hilton Honors Ascend card with a $95 annual fee that comes with 10 free annual PP entrances. It basically more than pays for itself if you can get 4 or more lounge visits out of it. You won't be able to use the VS lounge in T2 at LAX since it is only available until 10:45AM for PP members, but you can spend up to $28 at Barney's Beanery in T2. It will also get you into the Wingtips lounge in T4 at JFK. It won't get you into any Sky Clubs (and there are no PP options at DTW).

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 3, 2018 at 9:49 am
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Each BP will reflect the zone for which you qualify. PREM will only show for segments you're in F. SKY for segments in C+ and Zone 1 for Y. You'll board based in the appropriate zone. Being in F one segment doesn't mean you get to board with PREM for all..
Won't it give you the SkyPriority flag on your reservation, that can be used at least for security screening and check-in priority? Even if the BP shows your original zone number.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ATLMike1234
Won't it give you the SkyPriority flag on your reservation, that can be used at least for security screening and check-in priority? Even if the BP shows your original zone number.
Yes it would. But based on their itinerary OP only has to check in/security screen in DEN which is where they are flying FC anyways. Unless they plan on leaving one of the connecting airports, it doesn't provide much additional benefit then they are already getting.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With lots of time and PP at LAX, you could try the AS lounge in T6 or even the KE lounge in TBIT. IIRC DL runs an airside shuttle to TBIT, and from there there's an airside skyway to T4 and then airside tunnels continuing to T5 and T6. The AS lounge at LAX is good and AFAIK doesn't have the sort of capacity issues they experience elsewhere causing them to deny PP entry.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:21 pm

I would really try to figure out how to get to the airport 15 minutes earlier and take the nonstop. Unless you are looking at the other routing as fun or an adventure in which case it is the holiday season your best bet may be finding someone to guest you
Mountain Explorer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.