Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSP F/G SkyClub Upgrades and New Club (consolidated thread)

MSP F/G SkyClub Upgrades and New Club (consolidated thread)

Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
A few new details came out at the MAC commission meeting today about the proposed new club and concourse buildout. The six-gate "pod five" for gates 17-22 (which we all know is totally overcrowded) will get expanded at the concourse level to provide more space, and then a brand new SkyClub will be built on a new level above the concourse — providing more space and hopefully a SkyDeck that we all want. If it's truly up on a third floor, we could get a SkyClub with views of both runways from there. Sounds pretty ideal to me. Hopefully this all comes together.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:41 am

New MSP Sky club gate G17

Any additional information on this sky club? Sign in F concourse Sky Club. You’ve been patient now be pampered. Enjoy a new 15,000 square foot Sky Club coming soon.

I have not seen this sign before.

Last edited by jd2601; Mar 18, 2019 at 9:57 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...g-skyclub.html
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
i sat next to a planning guy at MSP and he said the new SC would be at the end of the G concourse to ultimately serve the international arrivals area when they extend the concourse.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
A few new details came out at the MAC commission meeting today about the proposed new club and concourse buildout. The six-gate "pod five" for gates 17-22 (which we all know is totally overcrowded) will get expanded at the concourse level to provide more space, and then a brand new SkyClub will be built on a new level above the concourse — providing more space and hopefully a SkyDeck that we all want. If it's truly up on a third floor, we could get a SkyClub with views of both runways from there. Sounds pretty ideal to me. Hopefully this all comes together.

Is this where that observation deck was (or is it still there?)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Is this where that observation deck was (or is it still there?)
There is still an observation deck on the D concourse but it’s strangely closed a lot.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by puck021

There is still an observation deck on the D concourse but it’s strangely closed a lot.
I could swear that there used to be one in the G concourse. Not the long part but the section at the very start of G. I believe it was closed for a while after 9/11 but then maybe reopened.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:01 pm

I'm pretty sure there is still an observation deck in D concourse. There is a staircase up just past the McDonalds. I believe it's open most of the time.

Now to me a SkyDeck in MSP, much like owning a pool here, SOUNDS like a much better idea than it actually is. It would be beautiful like 4 months out of the year when it's not too hot or too cold.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by GopherMSP
My preferred lounge at MSP is the Escape lounge. Hopefully they make the F/G SkyClub competitive again.
i completely agree. It’s even better since they severed the relationship with the CSR cardholders.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:16 pm

It seems to me that airport amenities are improving to the point where the sky club is becoming less and less valuable to me. The restaurant just outside the MSP F/G club is wonderful, stylish, good service and good food. Walking into the sky club sometimes feels like a let down.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pfreet
It seems to me that airport amenities are improving to the point where the sky club is becoming less and less valuable to me. The restaurant just outside the MSP F/G club is wonderful, stylish, good service and good food. Walking into the sky club sometimes feels like a let down.
Especially when PP often gives enough credit for a full meal and a drink.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by pfreet

If food is the primary objective, then this is true. However, if you are looking for a comfortable place to settle in, with easy access to power, snacks, a clean restroom, wifi, access to DL agents for flight issues and a generally more relaxed environment (I know this is not always the case) than a club usually wins. Especially when you compare a club to a chair or booth at a restaurant, with a server that wants to turn your table over as quickly as possible. I understand that this may not be true at clubs that are overcrowded or in need or renovation.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So it's not an expansion but rather a third SC in a totally different location.

It reminds me of the time when MSP had IIRC four PMNW WCs, with a couple of them being tiny rooms without many amenities.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So it's not an expansion but rather a third SC in a totally different location.

It reminds me of the time when MSP had IIRC four PMNW WCs, with a couple of them being tiny rooms without many amenities.
I don't know if we can say for certain that the F/G SkyClub will remain after the G17 location opens. But it does seem somewhat unlikely that there would be no SkyClub in the main mall vicinity.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
The Clubs at ATL used to be on the avoid list...but bow with the rebuilds between the food and drink they are actually a (somewhat) pleasant experience at least at times - hopefully MSP will get back to this point as well. Back in the NW days the clubs at MSP were OK, but space is needed...even more so than DTW...which also has issues on this count...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.