Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Spend a 8hr Layover in ATL (which lounges?)

Best Way to Spend a 8hr Layover in ATL (which lounges?)

Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:38 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
1) get on an earlier flight, even if you have to connect

2) get out of the airport
DataPlumber likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by Renes Points
WoW! You truly feel 1 cent per SkyMile is a good value for your points?
When traveling with my wife and two of my four daughters with 3+ hour layovers...Yes, it was points very well spent to see the looks on their faces!
It equates to zero money out of my pocket and it's not like I'm using the miles for trips when trying to accrue MQDs for DM renewal.
So it beats letting the points sit there while Delta/Amex devalue them every day.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:10 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
If Delta had a flight that just took you in circles for four hours and landed at the same airport, sold tickets for $10,000 but would give you an award for 20,000 skymiles, tons of idiots would book it and brag about their $0.50/mile redemption.
emrdoc, gooselee and BHammy like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by pvn
If Delta had a flight that just took you in circles for four hours and landed at the same airport, sold tickets for $10,000 but would give you an award for 20,000 skymiles, tons of idiots would book it and brag about their $0.50/mile redemption.

Can I take my dog with me, too?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
If Cali is home, you can ask to Same Day Confirm onto an earlier flight to SJC. Do this after you clear immigration but before bag drop and TSA. You can only do this if all your international segments are complete. $75 if you don't have Gold or higher status.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You need to go to the service counter after exiting customs BEFORE dropping you checked bags. There will probably be staff and airport employees standing around barking at you to drop the bag, but you must ignore them and do any rebooking FIRST, before parting with any of your checked bags. I repeatedly get yelled at for insisting on doing this, but once DL has your bag, they may refuse to rebook you or you're stuck getting home early but being forced to go back to the airport later (no delivery service for you!) to retrieve the luggage. You have been warned.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by califlyer8
The flight I bought was thousands cheaper from SJC to SFO, hence why I'm flying out of SJC, so I don't think I can change it for free. I usually price compare between the two and just go with whichever is cheaper.
Worth asking though on day-of. Especially if there is any weather or delays in the system -- might let you make the change for free
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
....or the DL museum.
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Second this. Short Uber ride or just catch the shuttle to the Marriott Renaissance or the ATL Hilton then walk over to the museum.
I will also recommend the DL museum. I thought it was great, the 747 exhibit was excellent. Great way to kill time near the airport.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Spend the whole time in the D9 Skyclub, it a truly magical experience.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz 1CG, Caesars Diamond
Take an Uber to the Vortex. Best burger in Atlanta.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:27 pm

Porsche racetrack next to the airport would also be a fun diversion.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZonaFlyer
What day of the week will it be? I was there on a recent Saturday afternoon and arrived at B and departed from E. I'd never used the new B club so went there first. It was mostly empty with plenty of seating available and good window views. Great food options like mini chicken pot pies, mac & cheese, and the normal soups and salads. Both leafy greens and pasta salads. Dishes were ceramic/glass. It was a nice day and I wanted a beer on the SkyDeck, so after an hour we went to F. The SkyDeck door was blocked off because "it was broken and won't be fixed until Tuesday." Closing one of the best features for 4 days? Not impressed. Not many people in this lounge either. Food spread looked smaller than B. We left since the Deck was closed and we would be leaving from E anyway. The E club was packed however we did find a place to sit eventually. There were chicken breasts and jambalaya available that weren't on B but fewer salads. The dishes were paper plates and plastic utensils. We should have just stayed in B the whole time.

So I'd say to check out B first and then F if you want. Skip E unless you are leaving from that terminal.
It will be a Thursday. Thanks for the input!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
What is the origin of your trip? You may already know this, but not all international flights in F/J grant lounge access. In particular, flights to/from the Caribbean in F do not grant lounge access.
Brazil, but I also have an Amex Platinum, so lounge access isn't an issue.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blitzcon
If Cali is home, you can ask to Same Day Confirm onto an earlier flight to SJC. Do this after you clear immigration but before bag drop and TSA. You can only do this if all your international segments are complete. $75 if you don't have Gold or higher status.
There is no earlier flight to San Jose that I can make unfortunately. I do have gold, but there isn't an earlier one, and SDC doesn't apply to another airport right?

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Worth asking though on day-of. Especially if there is any weather or delays in the system -- might let you make the change for free
That's a good point--thanks! Is there any anecdotal evidence of free SDC to different airports? I do have gold.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.