Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does Delta cancel reservations if you book two for the same time?

Old Aug 28, 18, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

As a PM, I can cancel an award ticket. I would like to book both X-Y and X-Z on the same day around the same time because I'm not sure which I will go to, and then cancel one of them in a few months. Would Delta auto cancel one or both of these? Are there other issues to worry about?
Old Aug 28, 18, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Others will claim they will not catch it, but I have had them catch this at least 4 times. Even if you take your Sky Miles number out, their system
can track by name and birth date.

They may or may not contact you prior to cancelling both reservations.

Good luck
Old Aug 28, 18, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Last year I had two flights on the same route a week apart, but it was a 17 day trip so they overlapped. It was this way for a couple of months until I cancelled one.

Right now I have two flights from the same starting point to different cities on the West coast (same days). It's only been about two weeks so we'll see what happens.
Old Aug 28, 18, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Not quite the same scenario but here's one data point: A few weeks ago I had flight X-Y scheduled as the return on a round trip ticket. Shortly before the trip I found out I needed to be somewhere else that day. I booked one way for flight X-Z leaving a about two hours later. I never checked in for the first flight and flew the second without a problem.
Old Aug 29, 18, 7:25 am

I have had DL call me when I booked 2 one way flights on the same day and asking me which one I wanted to keep.
Old Aug 29, 18, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The answer is that you cannot be sure of anything. Anecdotal evidence of what happened when won't help you here.

You need to plan on one of the following:
1. It works and you fly on one of your selected flights.
2. DL contacts you and requires you to pick one ticket.
3. DL auto cancels one of the tickets and you either find out or not.
4. DL cancels both tickets and you either find out or not.

With full flights, part of the RM/IM effort is to weed out fraudulent tickets to avoid inventory waste and unneccessary VDB.
CarmenOM likes this.
Old Aug 29, 18, 12:06 pm

I had them contact me when I had both tickets on the same flight.

Right now I am sitting on a Delta Vacation booking and a FF ticket booking to Punta Cana in December. Flights down are on different days and flights back are on the same day but I was careful to book them on different flights. So far so good. I will make a final decision next week when I meet with the family and cancel one then.

That said when I used to travel a lot several times I had two tickets booked for the same day from different spots to ATL and nothing ever happened.
Old Aug 29, 18, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, WN A-List, Marriott Titanium
I've had Delta cancel my award ticket before when I had my travel agent look at what the revenue fare was. She held the ticket, but didn't issue the ticket. The hold expired, but several days later I noticed my award ticket was gone. When I called Delta they told me their system automatically does this and confirmed it was the travel agent's actions that cancelled my award ticket. When I went back to rebook, the miles had gone up 20k... Frustrating to say the least and DL would not honor the original award mileage.
Old Sep 2, 18, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Is this canceling only when both are award tickets? If no, can this be used to avoid a cancellation fee?

Book flight 1 with cash, later find out you can't fly.
Book an identical flight 2 with miles.
Hope DL cancels flight 1, and you refund flight 2 72 hours before.

It seems there's no risk. If Delta does nothing, you cancel flight 2 and eat the fee you would've eaten anyway. If Delta cancels flight 2, you're in the same position as not having done this. If Delta cancels flight 1 (or both 1 and 2), they should refund the entire amount and you win.
Old Sep 2, 18, 8:51 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
That's... so crazy it might just work?
Old Sep 2, 18, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
With full flights, part of the RM/IM effort is to weed out fraudulent tickets to avoid inventory waste and unneccessary VDB.
Your continued callous use of the word "fraudulent" is concerning and not applicable here

If people aren't showing up for a 2nd flight then VDB wouldn't be necessary, thus no unnecessary VDB
pvn likes this.
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:09 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Hyatt Globalist
they are doing this a lot now but in a different way. Frequently I book family vacations where I will book myself on a pnr then book my family on another one. I do this because my schedule changes frequently and I need to be able to take a different iten if necessary. The problem is that after I have booked myself if i put the same flights and such in, it dumps me into my existing res instead of letting me continue. If I were able to continue I would select 'im not flying' and be done with it. So now I've found I have to either book them first or use another browser like ms edge to book them instead.
Old Sep 2, 18, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
Your continued callous use of the word "fraudulent" is concerning and not applicable here

If people aren't showing up for a 2nd flight then VDB wouldn't be necessary, thus no unnecessary VDB
Sorry to use plain English to describe the conduct which occurs when one agrees to a contract and then intentionally violates its terms.
Old Sep 3, 18, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588 View Post
Is this canceling only when both are award tickets? If no, can this be used to avoid a cancellation fee?

Book flight 1 with cash, later find out you can't fly.
Book an identical flight 2 with miles.
Hope DL cancels flight 1, and you refund flight 2 72 hours before.

It seems there's no risk. If Delta does nothing, you cancel flight 2 and eat the fee you would've eaten anyway. If Delta cancels flight 2, you're in the same position as not having done this. If Delta cancels flight 1 (or both 1 and 2), they should refund the entire amount and you win.
Like many of these types of edge cases, this might work a time or two, but is probably not worth the risk to account and mileage if it causes if it gets your account flagged.
jetsfan92588 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 18, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Sorry to use plain English to describe the conduct which occurs when one agrees to a contract and then intentionally violates its terms.
I don't know exactly what you were going for, but that certainly isn't necessarily fraud.

Fraud is a tort (or a crime). Violating a contract is just that, a violation of a contract. The penalty for violating a contract (intentionally or not) is generally just the requirement to put a party into the position it would have been in if the parties did not enter into the contract. The penalty for fraud often involves a punitive measure designed to stop parties from committing those acts.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: