Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

understanding non-upgradeable type certs?

Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold

Any additional insights into this is appreciated. A company is booking my flight using some sort of certificates that they reportedly get from delta. They could not provide me with ANY information on the certs other than there is a reference number that has three letters and three numbers. They state that it will not earn miles and insist that my medallion benefits will not do anything in that they will be not eligible for upgrades. My only experience with a cert was through delta with a set value and they were eligible for miles and upgrades.

Thoughts on what these are and if I might still get MQMs but not miles? hopefully...a bit demoralized by being stripped of the perks and this back to back with another flight I have to take on American without status as Delta doesn't offer Bermuda. I know ... first world problems but the back of the bus middle seat by bathroom is not enhancing my joy of travel
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:11 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
This sounds like it's probably a SkyBonus certificate, which is essentially a sort of award ticket.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
These are most likely SkyBonus certificates. There are different types and most likely they do not allow for upgrades. Delta is in the process of changing some of them, which will allow for upgrades or buy-ups on some of the certificates in the future (likely the ones requiring more SkyBonus points).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

So it seems those would NOT be eligible for MQMS, right? Has anyone had any experience of getting an in app special offer to upgrade or just wouldn't happen? would like the options of comfort on LAX to ATL route but if not eligeable for upgrade I imagine that is all around dont get on list and cant pay for upgrade.
Originally Posted by bgriff
This sounds like it's probably a SkyBonus certificate, which is essentially a sort of award ticket.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dealOCD
Any additional insights into this is appreciated. A company is booking my flight using some sort of certificates that they reportedly get from delta. They could not provide me with ANY information on the certs other than there is a reference number that has three letters and three numbers. They state that it will not earn miles and insist that my medallion benefits will not do anything in that they will be not eligible for upgrades. My only experience with a cert was through delta with a set value and they were eligible for miles and upgrades.

Thoughts on what these are and if I might still get MQMs but not miles? hopefully...a bit demoralized by being stripped of the perks and this back to back with another flight I have to take on American without status as Delta doesn't offer Bermuda. I know ... first world problems but the back of the bus middle seat by bathroom is not enhancing my joy of travel
Off-topic, but, Delta flies to BDA from Atlanta, Boston and New YorkJFK...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
Correct, no MQM, RDM, etc
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From Skybonus T&C's for domestic US/CA Cert (reference code QF100) --

Upgrades: Not permitted.
SkyMiles: SkyMiles mileage credit will NOT be awarded for travel with this certificate.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The OP doesn't seem to be an employee of the company and certainly not a listed traveler for their SkyBonus account. Can these SkyBonus award ticket certs be used in this case? My guess is that the answer is that they can be used for anyone approved by the person who manages the company's SkyBonus account, but I'm wondering.......
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Off-topic, but, Delta flies to BDA from Atlanta, Boston and New YorkJFK...
I t
Sadly, It looks like they removed their Barbados routings, at least this time of year. Im flying ATL- BGI and BGI- LAX, both are available through AA via MIA
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:45 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I believe anyone can be the user of a SkyBonus certificate, much like a SkyMiles award ticket.

To the OP: ATL-LAX is a notoriously hard market for upgrades, so it's not much consolation, but as a GM even if you were on a revenue ticket it's not very likely you'd be able to swing much of an upgrade unless you were traveling at a very off-peak time.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! Im discussing it with them found a cheaper flight routing and working out if they pay 350 It will only cost me 50$ well worth not loosing my MQMS and worrying about being tight at the end of the year.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The OP doesn't seem to be an employee of the company and certainly not a listed traveler for their SkyBonus account. Can these SkyBonus award ticket certs be used in this case? My guess is that the answer is that they can be used for anyone approved by the person who manages the company's SkyBonus account, but I'm wondering.......
Can be used by anyone, just like SM. Only restriction is the normal can't be sold/bartered restrictions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.