Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minors Traveling alone international

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Minors Traveling alone international

We are planning a family trip to Cancun in OCT. we are traveling with our 16 yr twin daughters. The wife and I are hoping to stay a couple of extra days and send the girls home earlier. Question is, can we get a security pass to get them to the gate? Not sure what Mexico's policy is on that. They have the direct home so not worrried about them going through SLC customs. Just want to make sure they get to the gate and on the plane in CUN. They're fairly seasoned travelers but first international. Any advice would be great.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Fsnco1
We are planning a family trip to Cancun in OCT. we are traveling with our 16 yr twin daughters. The wife and I are hoping to stay a couple of extra days and send the girls home earlier. Question is, can we get a security pass to get them to the gate? Not sure what Mexico's policy is on that. They have the direct home so not worrried about them going through SLC customs. Just want to make sure they get to the gate and on the plane in CUN. They're fairly seasoned travelers but first international. Any advice would be great.
Check the rules carefully: DL, Mexico, USA. They might require a notarized (and officially translated) permission to travel statement signed by both parents. Also plan for IROPs and other issues during travel. Getting to the gate IMO is a relatively minor consideration here.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

This is really not relevant to the question, and I'm sure that OP is aware of crime in Mexico.

OP: The lead red coat at CUN is really nice. My family has a special needs young adult and they have been helpful and accommodating with needs like this, so if you have issues there I would look for a red coat. However, best to call DL in advance and ask what their policy is about issuing gate passes at CUN, as DL will be the ones to issue you this pass.

I am also remembering that to depart Mexico you need that little slip of paper that you get when you enter the country. I can't remember if you need that at security or just the board--I think it is to board. Make sure your kids don't loose this slip as this could cause problems.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This is really not relevant to the question, and I'm sure that OP is aware of crime in Mexico.

OP: The lead red coat at CUN is really nice. My family has a special needs young adult and they have been helpful and accommodating with needs like this, so if you have issues there I would look for a red coat. However, best to call DL in advance and ask what their policy is about issuing gate passes at CUN, as DL will be the ones to issue you this pass.

I am also remembering that to depart Mexico you need that little slip of paper that you get when you enter the country. I can't remember if you need that at security or just the board--I think it is to board. Make sure your kids don't loose this slip as this could cause problems.
The slip given when boarding, but is stapled to BP when checking in. A new one can be filed out if lost, they're available at checkin counters.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

As we started digging we found a few areas of vagueness and concern. First is that all minors departing Mexico without both parents need letters of consent (couple of options here). Second, even the state department indicates that there have been plenty of situations where the stated policies are deviated from causing travel delays and such.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
A new one can be filed out if lost, they're available at checkin counters.

Yes, but if you get the departure gate and have somehow lost it, they may or may not hold the flight for you to figure this out. Just pointing out that this is an exit control that we don't have in the US and that loosing the slip, especially if there were not a parent present, could cause some real anxiety.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:29 pm

As we started digging we found a few areas of vagueness and concern. First is that all minors departing Mexico without both parents need letters of consent (couple of options here). Second, even the state department indicates that there have been plenty of situations where the stated policies are deviated from causing travel delays and such.
Does this apply to minors traveling on a non-Mexican passport?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
It was some years ago, but I was on an Alaska flight out of CUN and lost that special slip. The deviation in standard procedure was that I had to give over about $50 USD in US money to the immigration officers stationed at the gate. The Alaska agents sort of disappeared down the jetway when this transpired, and once it was resolved, I went down the jetway and the gate agents presumably returned to their post. I'm not sure Cancun/Playa del Carmen are on my to do lists anymore.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emrdoc
Does this apply to minors traveling on a non-Mexican passport?
its not supposed to apply to non Mexico passport holders but this is on the State department website

"The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City has received numerous reports of U.S. citizens being required to provide notarized consent forms for circumstances falling outside of the categories listed above, and/or being asked for such permission at land border crossings. Accordingly, the Embassy recommends all minors traveling without both parents carry a notarized consent letter at all times in the event airline or Mexican immigration officials request one."

Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

its not supposed to apply to non Mexico passport holders but this is on the State department website

"The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City has received numerous reports of U.S. citizens being required to provide notarized consent forms for circumstances falling outside of the categories listed above, and/or being asked for such permission at land border crossings. Accordingly, the Embassy recommends all minors traveling without both parents carry a notarized consent letter at all times in the event airline or Mexican immigration officials request one."

I believe that is pertaining to entering Mexico. Mexican immigration isn't involved when departing the country.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Ok, this is just one data point, but our experience has been that this is not a big deal.

My wife, 15 year old daughter, and 15 year old friend of daughter visited Cancun about 2 years ago (highly recommend Club Med). We did have a letter (not notarized) from 15 year old friends parents giving her permission to be in Mexico with my wife and giving my wife power for medical decisions.

Entering the country, there were a couple of extra questions asked of 15 year old friend (who are you here with, etc), but no documentation was requested.

Leaving the country was a non-issue. Passports were verified at check in and exit slip was taken at gate, but no questions for the 15 year old friend at any time. No questions asked about my daughter either, even though I was not with them.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I believe that is pertaining to entering Mexico. Mexican immigration isn't involved when departing the country.

Note that it says "airline or Mexican immigration officials ." Airline officials are obviously involved, and, again, if the immigration slip is lost, you may end up dealing with immigration officials.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Note that it says "airline or Mexican immigration officials ." Airline officials are obviously involved, and, again, if the immigration slip is lost, you may end up dealing with immigration officials.
I understand. However the wording makes it look like it's talking about entering Mexico as the section is about issues with Mexican immigration. Leaving Mexico the airline would be concerned with US regulations.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Leaving Mexico the airline would also be obligated to enforce their understanding of Mexico's laws. For instance, if the airline believes that Mexico requires some permission for minors to exit, they will ask for the documents at check in. In this case, it won't matter what the law really says and whether it applies only to children who are citizens of Mexico.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.