Search

Buddy pass rules on premium cabin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP, DLSM, EYEG, QRPC
Buddy pass rules on premium cabin

Hi,
There was an announcement last year that buddy pass user who are not traveling with eligible dl employee won't be able to access delta one or premium cabin. My friend who are dl employee says that the new rule is not really put Into practice.

I'd like to know if this rule is really enforced. Can anyone who used the buddy pass to travel alone (Or without dl employee) lately share your experience whether You are allow to sit in delta one or first cabin.

Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
You need to ask your friend sponsoring the pass about the specifics of this rule, not a public forum.

Also, the chances of sitting in D1 on a buddy pass is quite small from what I understand
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
According to posts in July in this thread, the limitation wasn't in effect yet:
Delta buddy pass etiquette?
See also:
Buddy Passes: The Definitive Thread
DELTA 2018 buddy pass
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks I now have an answer
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:09 pm

Buddy Pass in Premium Cabin 2019

Originally Posted by tiamsanit
Hi,
There was an announcement last year that buddy pass user who are not traveling with eligible dl employee won't be able to access delta one or premium cabin. My friend who are dl employee says that the new rule is not really put Into practice.

I'd like to know if this rule is really enforced. Can anyone who used the buddy pass to travel alone (Or without dl employee) lately share your experience whether You are allow to sit in delta one or first cabin.

Thanks
Does anyone have any recent updates on this topic? We will be flying on buddy passes (without DL employee) from AMS-SEA in May and are curious about the chances of getting into a premium cabin.
Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by happy camp
Does anyone have any recent updates on this topic? We will be flying on buddy passes (without DL employee) from AMS-SEA in May and are curious about the chances of getting into a premium cabin.
Thanks!
Probably somewhat less than zero.

You might want to post the question at Delta Nonrev forum
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Thanks!
gonna give you the same answer that everyone gets here when we talk about our chances of getting an upgrade from our medallion status. if you want to fly first then you should buy first. otherwise you should be thankful that you have a DL employee willing to sponsor you for a buddy pass and leave it at that
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
You would likely a little better chance from PDX. Or if you can get to either TPA or MCO then you will have a much better chances of getting into business class. There virtually zero premium demand from those two cities.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Thanks!
No employee = no chance.

I've spoken with enough employees to be 100% convinced of this. Sorry for the bad news.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Wimsta
No employee = no chance.

I've spoken with enough employees to be 100% convinced of this. Sorry for the bad news.
Incorrect, no policy has changed yet...if premium seats are available, buddies are still eligible for them, even without the employee. I'll echo other posters though that it's going to be incredibly tough to get D1 out of AMS in the summer. Try off-peak days (Tuesday/Wednesday) for your best chance.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks!
As has already been suggested, the phrase "will be flying" is very optimistic. Buddy pass riders are at the bottom of the priority list, below enmployees, retirees, relatives, etc. Especially if more than one is attempting to travel together, you should consider yourself extremely lucky if you get any seats at all on the AMS-SEA flight on the day you want to travel.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
Incorrect, no policy has changed yet...if premium seats are available, buddies are still eligible for them, even without the employee. I'll echo other posters though that it's going to be incredibly tough to get D1 out of AMS in the summer. Try off-peak days (Tuesday/Wednesday) for your best chance.
I don't want my words twisted, my post was not about "policy" or "policy change" was just relaying the conclusion.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As has already been suggested, the phrase "will be flying" is very optimistic. Buddy pass riders are at the bottom of the priority list, below enmployees, retirees, relatives, etc. Especially if more than one is attempting to travel together, you should consider yourself extremely lucky if you get any seats at all on the AMS-SEA flight on the day you want to travel.
I would echo that and then some. Hopefully you have flexible plans going to Europe and have an infinite amount of time to stay in Europe (or be prepared to buy a very expensive ticket) as coming back to the U.S. can be a very difficult task as you can find in countless stories here and I have heard from others. The past couple months, DL has been very aggressive about overselling flights and the odds of having ANY seats available on major routes, never mind in J, is extremely small. Hopefully your sponsor has properly informed you of the risks.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Thanks!
Your odds will increase significantly if you flight on off peak days (traditionally fewer D1 passengers). You might have a reasonable chance flying on a Wednesday for example.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

My experience, my flight PVG-LAX was half empty all the classes. A350 D1 has about 8 empty seats and I was 3rd in the list and was put in PE, 2 before me got D1. I asked them why, they just said weight distribution problem!!! The first 2 paxs were retired Delta employee... so I leave it for you to decide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.