Parent Giving upgrade to a minor?

Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Parent Giving upgrade to a minor?

Not sure what the rules are on this but I just saw a FA come on board with last min upgrades before departure. Went back to coach and came back up with a child. 10-12ish? Who then took the open first class seat. I’m assuming the upgrade was going to the parents and they gave it to their son? I didn’t see the UM wristband.....I could have sworn there were rules about sitting in separate cabins from your kids?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or a parent/guardian was already in first class

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../children.html
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Pure speculation, but possibly one parent was already in first, and the child was with the second parent in economy. Second parent gets upgrade, but can't leave child alone in economy so sends child up to first to join the other parent.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasonl5
Pure speculation, but possibly one parent was already in first, and the child was with the second parent in economy. Second parent gets upgrade, but can't leave child alone in economy so sends child up to first to join the other parent.
ahh. Scenario I didn’t think of. Tho the child isn’t sitting next to the parent who might be in first.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: Airline free agent; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Or.... here's an idea! Mind your own business.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Maybe they were the next on the upgrade list, not all that improbable these days!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AdamATL
Or.... here's an idea! Mind your own business.
sorry if my question about a policy offended you...
KevinDTW likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure why OP believes that this was an upgrade. Most likely explanation is that the kid was on a paid F ticket just like the parent and something went wrong. When a seat became available, it was the kid's.

On the other hand, if the child was 14 or under and not a UM, DL faced either offloading the child, downgrading the parent or upgrading the kid.

One of those things for which there are any number of perfectly good reasons. If OP needed to know, should have asked the parent or a FA.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure why OP believes that this was an upgrade. Most likely explanation is that the kid was on a paid F ticket just like the parent and something went wrong. When a seat became available, it was the kid's.

On the other hand, if the child was 14 or under and not a UM, DL faced either offloading the child, downgrading the parent or upgrading the kid.

One of those things for which there are any number of perfectly good reasons. If OP needed to know, should have asked the parent or a FA.
my question, was to clarify if there was a rule about parents and minors being seated in different cabins. If no one here knows an answer I’m not sure why everyone keeps posting and seems offended that I asked.
Policypeddler and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There is a rule which basically says that a parent or other responsible adult must sit in the same cabin with kids under 15 or pay the UM fee, but IME it's very inconsistently enforced.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There is a rule which basically says that a parent or other responsible adult must sit in the same cabin with kids under 15 or pay the UM fee, but IME it's very inconsistently enforced.
Thank you
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Good to know! Thank you.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh

ahh. Scenario I didn’t think of. Tho the child isn’t sitting next to the parent who might be in first.
They don't need to be sitting next to them. Just in the same cabin.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
They don't need to be sitting next to them. Just in the same cabin.
gotcha. I’d alwaya thought there were more strict rules about traveling with your kids.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I did this once in the 1990s when my daughter was in high school and traveling with my wife and me; we had one upgrade out of the three tickets, and we let my daughter sit in F.

She was an FO when she was in college, and used to get upgraded quite a bit BWI-CVG. Those were the days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.