Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Estimating the Diamond Medallion Population

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Estimating the Diamond Medallion Population

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
Like the extreme version of WN's boarding order?

Or we could just go full Black Mirror and everyone is ranked by their Customer Value Score, and then treated accordingly regardless of the miles flown...that would be an interesting wake up call for many people, both those who think they're important but aren't, and those who don't think they're important but are.
this wouldn’t work. Tiers work because it encourages more spending.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by syd999
I wonder how the diamond herd will thin next year with the new MQD requirements and how many platinums there'll be.
What *new* MQD requirements are you talking about? DL has had MQD requirements for all elite tiers, including DM, for several years, including waiver rules for foreign addresses, although recently the DL AmEx spend requirement for the DM MQD waiver was raised significantly.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davevaill
Any Guess on the number of 360 diamonds?
It would be more interesting to know the number and/or percentage of 360s who did NOT qualify for DM.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would be more interesting to know the number and/or percentage of 360s who did NOT qualify for DM.
Probably 98% or greater.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by DL-Don
Probably 98% or greater.
That's sad for a *frequent flyer* program.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's sad for a *frequent flyer* program.
I think I misread your question. I think 98% of DMs do not make 360. I have no idea of how many 360s do not EARN DM.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:14 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So awesome for you to do the math from the tidbits of info you get, it is interesting to a travel nerd that I am!

Yes, remember that FF programs are to make the airline $$ and the benefits are the mechanism to keep people spending.

However, Delta needs to remember, the people that can always buy J/FC, which basically negates the need for being elite. The benefits are for those that don't have that luxury but still have $$ to spend at their discretion. At some point, people will get tired of all the games (at different points for each individual). So Delta should be careful cuz once people walk, I doubt they'll come back. A quick reminder from their own marketing department:

Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by ems717

Exactly, I think for many DMs in 2018 this will be their last year.
I have been a DM since the tier was introduced, same with my wife. Next year, both of us will be PMs as we very frequently use PWMs to buy our tickets. So we generate plenty of MQMs with travel and credit cards, but fall short on MQDs and not spending $250K on Amex, at least DL affinity cards.
But you surviving DMs won't be upgrading to our seats because we almost always buy front cabin anyway.

I suspect that surviving DMs won't find it much easier to upgrade as I suspect a healthy proportion of demoted DMs will similar be buying front cabin seats.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I have been a DM since the tier was introduced, same with my wife. Next year, both of us will be PMs as we very frequently use PWMs to buy our tickets. So we generate plenty of MQMs with travel and credit cards, but fall short on MQDs and not spending $250K on Amex, at least DL affinity cards.
But you surviving DMs won't be upgrading to our seats because we almost always buy front cabin anyway.

I suspect that surviving DMs won't find it much easier to upgrade as I suspect a healthy proportion of demoted DMs will similar be buying front cabin seats.
PM now DM next month and 95% of the time I either buy F outright at purchase, or with work travel purchase economy and then out of my pocket i pay for the op-up for F. Upgrades are not a big thing for me.

The email about summer travel I got the other day said I sat in the front 68% of the time, but I think their math is off

The reason I was able to hit the MQD waiver of $15k this year was expensive domestic fares at the last minute, and the op ups to F/paying for F outright. Otherwise I can see it being very difficult for people to hit $15k
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975

Perhaps, I know many corporate business travelers that are not coming out of pocket every week or two to buy up. They book flights w a corporate rate and months in advance. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see people like you switch loyalties to another program or just use Chase points and WFBF. There is no scenario where having fewer diamonds makes it harder to get an upgrade than having more diamonds, ceteris paribus.

Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Halloweverybody

It wasn't a serious suggestion, but tell that to the billionaires on the Forbes list. They already have more money than can be spent in 3 lifetimes, but they keep wanting more to climb the list.

Imagine some of the people's desire to have their score go up if they saw they were just below a "milestone" and they just NEED to be in the top 10, 100, 1000, etc.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Halloweverybody

I've always thought that the highest tier should start at exactly 1 MQM and 1 MQD below whatever I did for the previous year.

Mike
kop84 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Troppy

Perhaps, I know many corporate business travelers that are not coming out of pocket every week or two to buy up. They book flights w a corporate rate and months in advance. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see people like you switch loyalties to another program or just use Chase points and WFBF. There is no scenario where having fewer diamonds makes it harder to get an upgrade than having more diamonds, ceteris paribus.

Having fewer DMs won't be a negative for the surviving DMs, but it won't be magical either, between all the FCM procedures in place. And those flights you speak of booked months in advance is precisely when a discounted FC seat is available (A or G fare) for often just an insignificant amount more the Comfort Plus. My issue is I won';t get to the MQDs needed without abandoning my PWM habit. But with an obscene number of SkyMiles in the vault, it is foolish not to use them. My point is that I do not believe that it will be dramatically easier to upgrade from FC on the routes where it is already nearly impossible.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by WWads
It's not an attainable tier for most FFs. $50K minimum at outstations, $100K+ at hubs. It's basically for people who buy full-fare F/J on a near-weekly basis.

It's not like the benefits are that great anyway. Super DM would come with eight GUCs, the ability to grant PM status, etc.
FWIW I was chatting with someone at a hotel bar the other day, we got to talking how we travel for work(I had driven to this location) and we compared who we fly. Me being a PM on DL and he a CK on AA. This person flew 2x a week both national and international only paid F/J from an AA hub. Said they spent well over 100K a year on flights.Sure its not apples to apples, but its probably in the ball park.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Maybe a bit OT, but I ran into a fellow FTer and we joked about this thread.

I told him a story about what an ambassador at the BNA SkyClub told me a few weeks ago after a newly-minted DM (segments) checked in.

She said there is a BNA based flyer in the DL family who is a 9 Million Miler, never flown outside of the US (no passport), and is obviously DM and 360 based on segments every year.

Assuming this guy is still working and is 65 or so, how is this even mathematically possible? That’s a ton of segments- especially from BNA...

Hawaii every week??

Last edited by SeaHawg; Aug 29, 2018 at 10:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.