Skymiles fares all over the place

Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Question Skymiles fares all over the place

Looking at a trip 10 months from now. I have checked a couple times already and the fares have changed 1/2 a dozen times of the few times I looked. Any wisdom from anyone about getting the best value when booking a skymiles flight. thanks in advance for your responses.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
“best value” is your real-time decision (yeah, sorry, that’s not really an answer ...)

a lot depends on markets/routes/seasons; a lot depends on how much you would be willing to put on a credit card ... if you’re PM/DM with free redeposit, you obviously have more flexibility
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
See if you can figure what the low miles amount is. If you find decent flights at that level, book them. Remember some trips need to be booked as a RT, to get the lowest mileage award these days.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Route, dates, flight numbers, mileage amounts? I'm afraid "10 months from now" isn't really much to go on.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Airline free agent; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
If I were you, when they fluctuate I'd book the lowest price I'm willing to pay. I think that's a good strategy.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
DL treats awards just like revenue (cash) tickets now. Prices can change anytime.

Since miles are not like currency, they have limited use, this is a very customer unfriendly policy (if you've been saving $$ for a big trip, and prices go up, you can buy something else, but not the case with miles).

But, it's unlikely to change, so my advice is to spend your miles whenever you have a decent use for them.
yohanson likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I booked JFK-ZRH RT for 24,000 miles.

It's not Delta One, but sort of incredibly good.
eric_o and Duke787 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:57 am
Original Poster

PBI- YVR.
Sorry
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Look with date flexibility if you have any. Use airport flexibility if you can head to FLL or MIA. Lowest redemption rates require a round-trip purchase which complicates searching.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
DL treats awards just like revenue (cash) tickets now. Prices can change anytime.

Since miles are not like currency, they have limited use, this is a very customer unfriendly policy (if you've been saving $$ for a big trip, and prices go up, you can buy something else, but not the case with miles).

But, it's unlikely to change, so my advice is to spend your miles whenever you have a decent use for them.
I was saving mine for when I retired to book a RTW trip in J. That doesn't look like that will work out for me.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by horseymike
PBI- YVR.
Sorry
Airlines are well aware of peak travel demand periods and price revenue/award fares accordingly even if you are booking well in advance.10 months from now puts you in June which is peak summer travel season and cruise season at YVR. A methodical fare search reveals 10 basic one-way award levels on this route. In addition to these levels, there are some broken fare awards involving WS awards on the YVR-LAX route and a DL award on the LAX-PBI route. The WS award on YVR-LAX is a fixed YSM150 award at 15K while the DL award level between LAX and PBI is variable. The fare construction on awards is shown when you click on the Fare Rules link on delta.com.

YSV140 14K
YSX160 16K
YST170 17K T/W/Sat only
YST180 18K
YSU195 19.5K
YSL215 21.5K
YSK230 23K
YSQ290 29K
YSH340 34K
YSM450 45K

Bucket availability on the 14K - 18K awards is basically limited to off-season in the Fall through Spring. While they do have some availability at the 19.5K and 21.5K levels near the opening of award availability, it's pretty clear from the calendar that these dry up quickly if not booked immediately. The lower level awards are generally going to be available for mid-week travel, while travelling on the weekend are often limited to higher award buckets (Sunday's in particular have very tight availability).

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 25, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

thanks LBJ
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by horseymike
Looking at a trip 10 months from now. I have checked a couple times already and the fares have changed 1/2 a dozen times of the few times I looked. Any wisdom from anyone about getting the best value when booking a skymiles flight. thanks in advance for your responses.
In less than a week award pricing can change to more than the tune of 4x typically, up to 7x sometimes (that is for direct flights, even more so for connecting ones).

Keep checking regularly (daily or a few times a day). When you see a price that you like then book it.

The Dullta SlyMiles pricing goes up and down wildly all the time.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks HJ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.