Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta flying to OGG with the hurricane

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Delta also had an impressive flight into SJU just before the latest hurricane hit and got people out right in time......if you Google the flight path it’s amazing how they pulled it off.
They did it twice - one with a flight from JFK and one with a flight from ATL. Both times every other flight had turned back and the DL flights soldiered on. Delta is pretty serious about not wanting to cancel flights...

Definitely impressive forecasting (and perhaps a bit more risk taking - not from a safety perspective but the risk of getting a plane stranded in SJU and potentially take on damage during the storm).
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by BenA
Do you know if DL shares its weather forecasts with any of its partners? I’ve definitely noticed the effect you mention over the years - DL will often be able to dispatch a flight when others cannot because they have better weather data. Does this extend to the regionals? (Including ones who fly for other airlines, like SkyWest)? What about ownership stake airlines like AM/VS? JV partners? General SkyTeam partners?
No idea about sharing of data, but if they do share with regionals/partners it is probably only weather data pertaining to routes they are flying for DL.

Related to having an in house weather department, I also feel pretty strongly I encounter less turbulence on DL flights than other carriers. It of course isn’t a 100% guarantee, but the difference is pretty noticeable on long international flights between DL and other carriers. (Some of this could be due to different operating procedures though, of course, or to better onboard equipment of some sort DL has chosen to invest in.)
Interestingly, my understanding is that most of the unexpected turbulence we encounter while flying isn't due to weather systems. Like obviously weather systems cause turbulence, but you and everyone else knows when/where an active system exists, so you reroute to avoid that area. You don't need an extensive meteorological team to tell you that. The remaining turbulence is the unexpected stuff that pops up in clear skies. My understanding of that, is you can't see that on radar/analyzing weather systems. There are just pockets of updrafts which destabilize airflow. These are typically reported by pilots as they are encountered, and then routes/altitudes are adjusted if necessary. AFAIK this information is provided over public channels to ATC and neighboring aircraft monitoring the same frequency, and not kept company exclusive. Rightfully so, because at the point you're in the air you're no longer competing, all pilots wants a safe flight for themselves and their passengers. Ideally, there shouldn't really be any difference in the turbulence you experience by airline because everyone has access to the same information. Of course you could just have a string of bad luck where when you personally are on a certain airline experience more turbulence whether that be the routes you're flying or the length of time you're on those planes, but as a whole turbulence shouldn't differ much by airline.

Now someone mentioned up thread that Delta started using an app to track turbulence reports. That could give them a slight advantage, as they are organizing the information they receive in a better format, so you get a better idea of where the areas of turbulent airflow exist. However they are still using the same information that is publicly available to everyone else. So to answer your original question, experiencing less turbulence wouldn't be due to having a good meteorological team predicting the weather. It would be a result using the data on turbulence reports more efficiently than other airlines.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by indufan
You must have missed my point. Either the math works out for a diversion or it doesn't. It isn't a matter of "confidence."
Not at alI. I am talking about math. It is a serious question how does the math and the weather work out given the opportunities in Hawaii to divert from OGG may also all be closed and when does fuel and winds send you back to the mainland or is Midway a serious alternative. Of course eastbound there is no diversion after point of no return except to reach the California coast.

I wonder what the longest overwater route flown by commercial air without hope of diversion actually is.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:15 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

That’s a really fair point. I do most of my international flying upfront these days, but when I think about my most aggressively turbulent flights on other airlines, they were all cases where I was seated mid-aircraft or further back.
up front should be as bad as the very back. the effects are higher as you get further away from the wing in either direction.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by pvn
up front should be as bad as the very back. the effects are higher as you get further away from the wing in either direction.
Hmm.. not sure this is entirely accurate. The back of the plane is worse because of the fact that the elevator is back there (and to a lessor extent the rudder). The elevator is the primary mechanism to keep the plane flight level stable. When in turbulent air, it is fighting (mostly automatically) to keep the plane level. This causes dramatic up and down in the back. The up-and-down is dampened as it moves through the full length of the cabin because plane frame flexes and absorbs the energy through friction/deformation.

edit: to be clear, yes, theoretically over the wings should be the most stable - but you can't ignore the control surfaces on the back contributing to roughness. Also, the wings can sometimes create their own issues (I've noticed on the 787 around row 6 that there is some extra.. flex that occurs at the wing connect point that you can even feel in otherwise stable air).

Last edited by ethernal; Aug 25, 2018 at 11:29 am
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by CALlegacy
...given the opportunities in Hawaii to divert from OGG may also all be closed...
Trying to imagine what could close all HI airports at once and coming up short. They’re just not all that close together.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by WrightHI

Trying to imagine what could close all HI airports at once and coming up short. They’re just not all that close together.
It would be a hypothetical. Here is one discussion of it: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452893

This article claims California-Hawaii is the longest stretch in the world without alternates (aside from other Hawaiian airports) and the first alternate for 2/3 of the way LAX-HNL is SFO: What is the longest over-water route of flight with no alternates? | Sawyer Aviation

Last edited by CALlegacy; Aug 25, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:51 pm

No matter how you spun the forecast, it would have been possible to divert to another island if needed. I think DL is due props for waiting till there was more certainty on that point, and then operating the flights even despite that risk. It means they would have had to be prepared for all the auxiliary logistics that would be involved were diversions to occur, and the $$ it would have cost them. Other airlines weren’t willing to risk “that” consequence, and decided to pull the cancel trigger earlier. It also helps that DL has only 3 flights a day to OGG, and a max of two planes on the ground at any one time. UA had 8 flights to consider for example.

But I think it is part of DL’s culture to bear some more cost risk in terms of contingencies in operating their flights vs just canceling. This was a great example of that. And I think their reputation for that approach has paid off for them in the long run.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The fanboys are in full force today. Saying that Delta has superior weather forecasts than any other airline is absolutely laughable. The other airlines simply act more responsibly. The weather can change very quickly and they would rather not put their planes and crews in danger.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The fanboys are in full force today. Saying that Delta has superior weather forecasts than any other airline is absolutely laughable. The other airlines simply act more responsibly. The weather can change very quickly and they would rather not put their planes and crews in danger.
There was ~24 hours difference in the decisions. In the end, Delta may have made the same decision. They were just willing to take more time to let it all play out. Not sure how that is debatable or related to safety, that’s simply what happened.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

There was ~24 hours difference in the decisions. In the end, Delta may have made the same decision. They were just willing to take more time to let it all play out. Not sure how that is debatable or related to safety.
Maybe if Delta gave nature the respect it is owed they wouldn't have killed over 100 people in DFW.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:21 pm

Maybe if Delta gave nature the respect it is owed they wouldn't have killed over 100 people in DFW.
... moving on lol.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
It's less that Delta has superior forecasting quality - I have full faith in the National Weather Service and the professionals there. But Delta is fairly rare in having an inhouse meterology department, and I do find it plausible that focusing that department's resources on the specific routes, airports and situations that Delta cares about could be a competitive advantage. It also makes sense that using telemetry data and pilot reports from Delta's own flights as inputs into the forecast model can improve the forecast accuracy in the immediate vicinity of Delta's major hubs.

https://news.delta.com/deltas-25-met...eep-eyes-skies is a press release that discusses their efforts. It's of course marketing spin, but I think its claims are pretty reasonable.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
They did it twice - one with a flight from JFK and one with a flight from ATL. Both times every other flight had turned back and the DL flights soldiered on. Delta is pretty serious about not wanting to cancel flights...

Definitely impressive forecasting (and perhaps a bit more risk taking - not from a safety perspective but the risk of getting a plane stranded in SJU and potentially take on damage during the storm).
It was a rescue flight. It also was able to showcase their expertise, which no other American airlines seems to have.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
It's less that Delta has superior forecasting quality - I have full faith in the National Weather Service and the professionals there. But Delta is fairly rare in having an inhouse meterology department, and I do find it plausible that focusing that department's resources on the specific routes, airports and situations that Delta cares about could be a competitive advantage. It also makes sense that using telemetry data and pilot reports from Delta's own flights as inputs into the forecast model can improve the forecast accuracy in the immediate vicinity of Delta's major hubs.
I also think DL's own weather team helps in their decision making process. I know AA outsourced their meteorology department a few years ago.

I've too not seen a significant difference in forecasting quality between airlines, it just seems like the aviation weather-related decision-making abilities of DL are better. I consistently see DL issuing weather waivers before the other airlines for special weather events.

I know first-hand that perfectly accurate weather prediction is impossible, but the team at DL seems to do a good job with making appropriate decisions based on the weather information they have.

Aircraft data is already assimilated into the global forecast models, but real-time pilot reports definitely help with "now-casting."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.