Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service dog taking up whole row

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:24 pm

My son has a service dog for epilepsy. A few notes about them.
  1. They aren't machines or robots. They're animals. They do sometimes lick (or, if scared, bark, etc.)
  2. Yes, people can buy stuff to make them look official.
  3. Yes, people DO buy stuff to make their pets look like service dogs. That makes me sad.
  4. If a case of true NEED, I'm willing to make some sacrifices as a passenger - though I expect the airline and the person with the animal to make some as well.
The TSA may have to get involved here and "license" these animals. As much as I hate to see that happen, it seems we have selfish people abusing the system with their ESAs. My son doesn't fly often, but when he does we pay for the upgrade to a suitable seat. But I also understand that not everyone is as blessed as we are, and as a passenger I'm willing to tolerate some things on their behalf. But I'll be danged if I'm going to put up with that for someone's emotional support yorkie, iguana, or whatever....

And more importantly, what you experienced was dangerous for you AND the dog.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
The other thing that bothers me is that any “complaint” made by an inconvenienced pax forces them to be the bad guy. It is basically, be inconvenienced or make a fuss about it.

I know there are many out there who don’t care about that or getting the evil eye, and to those people that is great. But just the same, there are many others that do, especially in situations like this where the other pax may not fully know the real story of why the animal is “needed”.

Point being, if you are paying for a ticket, you should get what minimal foot space comes with said ticket without having to make a fuss about getting it.
Zeeb, IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by argolfer
My son has a service dog for epilepsy. A few notes about them.
  1. They aren't machines or robots. They're animals. They do sometimes lick (or, if scared, bark, etc.)
  2. Yes, people can buy stuff to make them look official.
  3. Yes, people DO buy stuff to make their pets look like service dogs. That makes me sad.
  4. If a case of true NEED, I'm willing to make some sacrifices as a passenger - though I expect the airline and the person with the animal to make some as well.
The TSA may have to get involved here and "license" these animals. As much as I hate to see that happen, it seems we have selfish people abusing the system with their ESAs. My son doesn't fly often, but when he does we pay for the upgrade to a suitable seat. But I also understand that not everyone is as blessed as we are, and as a passenger I'm willing to tolerate some things on their behalf. But I'll be danged if I'm going to put up with that for someone's emotional support yorkie, iguana, or whatever....

And more importantly, what you experienced was dangerous for you AND the dog.
Thanks for this perspective.

I think that last line is actually a very important point. Unless I'm mistaken, true service animals are not easy or cheap to obtain and keep. The few instances where I've encountered what I know to be a true service animal (most commonly LEO dogs and seeing eye dogs), their handlers are extremely protective of and strict with them when it comes to interacting with other people.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:26 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by gooselee
Thanks for this perspective.

I think that last line is actually a very important point. Unless I'm mistaken, true service animals are not easy or cheap to obtain and keep. The few instances where I've encountered what I know to be a true service animal (most commonly LEO dogs and seeing eye dogs), their handlers are extremely protective of and strict with them when it comes to interacting with other people.
Don't generalize from that sample to all "true" service dogs.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
With all the arguments aside (and no apparent resolution here - LOL) - I would ask for a ticket refund. You contracted with Delta for a seat and the legroom that comes with it. Delta did not deliver said product. The reason why is not your fault, but Delta's. Ask for a refund.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pvn
Don't generalize from that sample to all "true" service dogs.
Please expand. My experience is admittedly limited.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't expect any useful commentary.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:32 pm
pvn
Suspended

Please expand. My experience is admittedly limited.
There are a lot of working service dogs other than seeing eye dogs. Seeing eye dogs by the nature of their work have to be "on duty" pretty much all the time, and do require incredibly high levels of specialized training. There are many other types of service dogs that perform extremely useful functions for their owners but aren't as regimented as seeing eye dogs.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:32 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Don't expect any useful commentary.
Well, yeah, I mean not nearly as useful as the "I saw a movie about a blind guy once so now I'm an expert on service animals" that we have spewed all over the rest of this thread.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
There are a lot of working service dogs other than seeing eye dogs. Seeing eye dogs by the nature of their work have to be "on duty" pretty much all the time, and do require incredibly high levels of specialized training. There are many other types of service dogs that perform extremely useful functions for their owners but aren't as regimented as seeing eye dogs.

Such as? Please know I am genuinely curious. I know there are dogs trained to identify distress in their owners and get help (like a seizure or something), but I'd imagine those are just as specialized and "on duty" as seeing eye dogs. I also know there are dogs trained to perform certain physical tasks (retrieving things, opening doors, etc.) for owners with limited mobility. But again, I would expect those dogs to be relatively well trained and thus strictly cared for.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:41 pm
pvn
Suspended

Such as? Please know I am genuinely curious. I know there are dogs trained to identify distress in their owners and get help (like a seizure or something), but I'd imagine those are just as specialized and "on duty" as seeing eye dogs. I also know there are dogs trained to perform certain physical tasks (retrieving things, opening doors, etc.) for owners with limited mobility. But again, I would expect those dogs to be relatively well trained and thus strictly cared for.
being "well trained" doesn't prevent them from interacting with other people. EG dogs that perform physical tasks like opening doors etc are quite capable of getting a head scratch from strangers and still doing their job. Some people may very well have their service animal trained to not interact with people but it's certainly not a requirement (and again, there are no uniform standards for service animal training).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
First, one needs to determine if the animal is a Service Animal or an Emotional Support Animal. As noted above there are rules for Service Animals that do not apply to Emotional Support Animals. If an ESA I would be much less forgiving.
I don't think this should matter at all once the dog, its owner, and the person in the next seat are on the plane. Whether the owner is a fraud or totally dependent on the dog, this third party should not have to share his paid for space with her dog. Now, some people might not have a problem sitting next to the dog, but that is completely at their discretion. The airline needs to be able to accommodate allowed animals, including peacocks if they are allowed, on the plane without inconveniencing other paying customers. This is not that difficult, except that airlines want to scrounge for every revenue dollar they possibly can and figure that the dog's neighbor, despite paying for the unencumbered space where his feet are supposed to be, should just suck it up.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Most of us here would be glad to see that - and there are few fees the major airlines wouldn’t want to collect.

Which implies their lawyers have found the guidance offered by DOT on compliance with the law isn’t clear enough to allow for a fee policy.

Or is there a systems issue for issuing a second ticket like for a person of size?
I, for one, would prefer that people with bona fide service dogs not be charged extra for the dog. These are people who cannot move around without the dog. People aren't charged for wheelchairs on planes, there are no tolls for using handicap ramps. I am willing to pay a ticket price of an additional two cents or whatever it costs to help defray the minimal cost of making space for honest to goodness service dogs. If you want talk emotional support animals, don't get me started. I might add that I do not require a service dog and know of no one who does. I just think it's the least our society can do.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:03 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by RAAng
I, for one, would prefer that people with bona fide service dogs not be charged extra for the dog. These are people who cannot move around without the dog. People aren't charged for wheelchairs on planes, there are no tolls for using handicap ramps. I am willing to pay a ticket price of an additional two cents or whatever it costs to help defray the minimal cost of making space for honest to goodness service dogs. If you want talk emotional support animals, don't get me started. I might add that I do not require a service dog and know of no one who does. I just think it's the least our society can do.
This (assuming what you're talking about is charging people with large ESAs for two seats) seems completely reasonable (and completely in line with the existing regulations), given that people have a choice when picking a ESA. They have much less of a choice in picking a service animal (the animal has to be physically large enough to perform the service).

The reality is many people just use an existing pet as an ESA but there's no reason airline policy needs to accomodate that.

The problem with this is that the airline would have to 1) get their staff trained on differentiating between the two and 2) set some sort of standards on how big is "too big".
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: DL,HH,SPG,ICH,Thrifty,Hertz
Originally Posted by Zeeb
I know people are pushing back with stuff like "just be glad you don't need a service animal" or "I'd rather have a dog taking up my space than a delay" and all that. But I think your complaint is perfectly valid and was presented perfectly fine for this forum. Air travel forces a million small annoyances and indignities on to a person. And a lot of them there's nothing you can do anything about. You just have to live with it. So why should you happily just accept someone forcing yet another inconvenience for you explicitly for their own convenience? I'm all about minding my own business and if somebody is doing something that doesn't impact me then I don't care. But anything taking up what little space an airline seat allows, be it because of a too large bag, a passenger who doesn't fit in their seat, or a "service animal" of questionable pedigree - these are all things that are forced upon other passengers by individual passengers that care more about themselves and an airline crew that hopes you'll just accept it rather than making them have a difficult conversation with the perpetrator.
Please Sir or Ma'am. If you are going to "Quote" someone, please do so correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.