Service dog taking up whole row

Old Aug 26, 18, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, HH Dmnd, Htz PC
From the Wall St. Journal this week:
Airlines have failed in efforts to reduce the number of animals flying in their cabins. Emotional-support animals on U.S. carriers have soared 56% in one year, to 751,000.
Delta now carries roughly 700 emotional-support animals and service dogs each day, up from 450 a day in 2016.
Animal-related incidents on airplanes, from barking to biting to other accidents, have increased by 84% since 2016.
Old Aug 26, 18, 6:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime TITANIUM, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by happychic View Post
That is how I feel. I would probably be petting the dog and giving him belly rubs nonstop as much as I can in that tight space during the entire flight.
So would I. But that doesn't make it right.
Old Aug 26, 18, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
1) The dog licked the OP. True service animals are trained not to behave this way.

​​​​​​​Exactly my first thought.
Old Aug 26, 18, 9:17 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
The pax (minus her “not my fault” comment) was polite and dog was well-trained (though it did lick me a few times).
Was not a service dog. Service dogs have no interest in others and will basically ignore you.
Old Aug 26, 18, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Thanks for the person that posted the federal Q&A rules. Interestingly enough they point to that the carrier deal with this on board. But my point is that DL (and all airlines for that matter) should have policies that deal with this prior to boarding. I don't think it's good business sense to rely on FA's to deal with this.

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
First, one needs to determine if the animal is a Service Animal or an Emotional Support Animal. As noted above there are rules for Service Animals that do not apply to Emotional Support Animals. If an ESA I would be much less forgiving.
It was a service animal. It had a vest on that said service animal and on the vest was a clear case that had some sort of ID tag on it. I'm not an expert on what the qualifications of a legit service animal is and have no clue to determine.

Originally Posted by pvn View Post
No you don't. There's literally no difference for the purposes of the complaint the OP has. Delta simply needs to require this passenger to buy two seats.
Agree, the point is if it's too big the owner/pax should buy two tickets.

Originally Posted by Schuhfly View Post
The problem here is that the service dog was in the bulkhead. There is no room for the dog to go! My dad has a Seeing Eye dog and Delta always tries to put us in the bulkhead. We have to call to request to be moved to a non-bulkhead row because the dog is trained to sit in the space under the seat in front.
Why DL?

2) It shouldn't be left up to the seatmate to complain and make a fuss. Airline staff should proactively solve the problem, including by insisting that the animal's owner buy a second seat on a later flight if necessary. It shouldn't have been the OP's burden.
Agreed, I felt pressed NOT to complain given the late flight and completely full status. I can only image if I made a fuss I'd end up on someone's iphone and hence social media...

Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
I would be delighted to have a dog in my row compared to a massive person overflowing into my space. I'd even let the dog lick me.
Good for you. If it were my dog so would I. Point is it wasn't and I want to fly without someone else's dog licking me. I think that's a reasonable ask/expectation.

I sent in my TTU to DL, will let you all know what comes of it. When DL responds I'll share the pic, since I'm surprised someone hasn't said "no pic then it didn't happen."
DiverDave likes this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 5:30 am

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
It was a service animal. It had a vest on that said service animal and on the vest was a clear case that had some sort of ID tag on it. I'm not an expert on what the qualifications of a legit service animal is and have no clue to determine.
Sadly, those tags and vests can be purchased online by anyone with $49. No training or documentation of any sort needed.

I agree that there is currently no good and consisten way for a lay person to recognize a truly legitimate service animal, and I don't expect that tens of thousands of frontline airline employees will suddenly be able to make that distinction either....
Old Aug 27, 18, 6:42 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Sadly, those tags and vests can be purchased online by anyone with $49. No training or documentation of any sort needed.

I agree that there is currently no good and consisten way for a lay person to recognize a truly legitimate service animal, and I don't expect that tens of thousands of frontline airline employees will suddenly be able to make that distinction either....
You can get them on ebay for $20.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
I would be delighted to have a dog in my row compared to a massive person overflowing into my space. I'd even let the dog lick me.
I would rather have neither of these situations...
Old Aug 27, 18, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Once in a gazillion flights (my personal statistics is 0 out of 1000+ lifetime segments) you encounter an inconvenience caused by a dog - is it really such an issue to justify wasting time on writing someone?

A quarter of my flights have issues with delays, poor service, tsa lines, bad catering etc etc - dogs are the least of my concern. Ymmv.
Oh c'mon. Surely you've been a victim of something, somehow.
Old Aug 27, 18, 9:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie View Post
Was not a service dog. Service dogs have no interest in others and will basically ignore you.
Some have that level of training, but some don't. You can't assume.
Old Aug 27, 18, 9:20 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Airline employees don't NEED to be able make that distinction. Neither do passengers, for that matter.
Old Aug 27, 18, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Once in a gazillion flights (my personal statistics is 0 out of 1000+ lifetime segments) you encounter an inconvenience caused by a dog - is it really such an issue to justify wasting time on writing someone?

A quarter of my flights have issues with delays, poor service, tsa lines, bad catering etc etc - dogs are the least of my concern. Ymmv.
I too have flown a lot in all my years. This one stands out as one of the most unique to me in that it was a problem that could have been avoided. Was it the most egregious or inconvenient for me? No, international delays, cancelled planes, etc have been worse. But in my mind this stands out as one of the most obvious problems that should not have been. That's why I wrote. Planes break all the time, weather happens...this problem could have been avoided but seems to have been ignored by many levels.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 9:44 am

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
1) The dog licked the OP. True service animals are trained not to behave this way.

2) It shouldn't be left up to the seatmate to complain and make a fuss. Airline staff should proactively solve the problem, including by insisting that the animal's owner buy a second seat on a later flight if necessary. It shouldn't have been the OP's burden.
And true service animals mostly aren't adorned with vests and documentation proclaiming them to be service animals.
MSPeconomist, HDQDD and Zeeb like this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I too have flown a lot in all my years. This one stands out as one of the most unique to me in that it was a problem that could have been avoided. Was it the most egregious or inconvenient for me? No, international delays, cancelled planes, etc have been worse. But in my mind this stands out as one of the most obvious problems that should not have been. That's why I wrote. Planes break all the time, weather happens...this problem could have been avoided but seems to have been ignored by many levels.
I know people are pushing back with stuff like "just be glad you don't need a service animal" or "I'd rather have a dog taking up my space than a delay" and all that. But I think your complaint is perfectly valid and was presented perfectly fine for this forum. Air travel forces a million small annoyances and indignities on to a person. And a lot of them there's nothing you can do anything about. You just have to live with it. So why should you happily just accept someone forcing yet another inconvenience for you explicitly for their own convenience? I'm all about minding my own business and if somebody is doing something that doesn't impact me then I don't care. But anything taking up what little space an airline seat allows, be it because of a too large bag, a passenger who doesn't fit in their seat, or a "service animal" of questionable pedigree - these are all things that are forced upon other passengers by individual passengers that care more about themselves and an airline crew that hopes you'll just accept it rather than making them have a difficult conversation with the perpetrator.
Old Aug 27, 18, 12:55 pm

agreed

Search this Thread