Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Am I setting myself up to miss my flight?

Am I setting myself up to miss my flight?

Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LWkitty
Please forgive me if my response seems unsympathetic, but I'm having a great deal of trouble understanding why you are choosing to put yourself in this dilemma. Is this other person truly a friend, or is this someone of influence you are trying to impress and/or curry favor with? The way you describe it, you are doing this person a big favor by driving them to LAX when your flight leaves out of SNA. People take carbs and Uber to LAX from all over the greater Los Angeles area every day. It's really no big deal. Yet you are willing to potentially miss your flight, pay a considerable sum to change your flight and then possibly eat the cost of a theater ticket. All because you are afraid to ask this other person if they can be dropped off earlier at LAX, or take a cab/Uber? Why is that?
It really is a friend. It's someone I want to show a good time but I'm not exactly trying to "impress". I'm single and usually have to travel solo unless I can find another single friend to join me on my travels. This year everyone I knew either had travel conflicts (weddings that were eating up all their vacation time, etc) or for whatever other reason weren't able to make it, so I reached out to and old friend/coworker of mine and asked if she wanted to. Theme parks and travel with someone else is always going to be more fun then traveling alone. I've completely planned the trip and all the events that are important to me and she's been fine with that. She's flying a red eye out (That I booked and suggested) to be able to maximize her vacation time and schedule from work and I'm flying her back. The only big issue she had with flights was she asked if I could find something that didn't have a connection, either at a large airport or long lay over. I'm not certain if connections stress her out, or if she's worried about missing a flight getting lost at a large airport, or if she just hates wasting time in an airport. The AA flight from LAX back to New York is an award flight that (after my AA credit card rebate) was 45k miles, I wouldn't have put her in F except that the biz class seats forced a connection. I'm flying F, and on a much shorter route (just down from WA state) so I kinda feel guilty dumping her into economy (she's fairly tall). So it was cheap cheap economy flight or the F award flight. I figure she'll get a nice kick out of it anyway and as it turns out the lounge/breakfast dining access at LAX might come in handy.

I personally hate Uber/Lyft... I much rather have a "professional" (yes yes, whatever that means) driver vs a gig-economy driver. So I'm leaning away from putting her in that position... to be honest maybe she doesn't care at all, but I would hate if someone that invited me on this trip was then like "Hey, I'm too busy to get you to LAX, I called an Uber for you".

It would be one thing if might flights were honestly too tight and that was the only option, but this is me being opportunistic with my travel plans which might be adding to the guilt of just calling an uber for her. The Cirque show was never part of the original plan, she won't be doing it, it was a complete after thought and just luck that it happens to fall within my travel days. Originally I was just trying to force a long layover in Seattle so I could hit Pike Place market, now I'm stuffing another night into my trip and getting home Sunday (before work Monday morning) instead of Saturday just so I can cram in the show as well...

I'll chat with her and see what her feelings are on taking an uber, but I know personally it makes me feel kinda guilty because it's just that I want to do more.

(Also, I really just should have flown into LAX to begin with, I don't know what I was thinking originally planning SNA and booking my outbound flight already... it was all to avoid LA traffic... but people fly into LAX for a reason, they need the flight options, lol)

(Further proof of the crazy stuff I force on myself with my travels is she's flying in a day after me because of her schedule, I didn't want to give up a day at Disney, so I'll be up at 5am to depart my home city, land at SNA by 11am so I can be at Disney by 1, actually made a 1pm lunch reservation, spend the day at Disney, maybe fit in a little nap at the Disney hotel, and then go pick her up at LAX at 2am! All so the next morning we can hit Disney and spend the whole day there. I probably have some brain problem, I can never make my trips relaxing.... )
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta, United
FWIW, from LAX to SNA yer driving the 405 which is one of the more congested highways in LA. Offer to pay for your friends ride to LAX while you drive to SNA.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:41 pm

I almost never drive anyone to airports in LA or NY, but, FWIW, I took an uber from Terminal 4 to Universal Studios this week and it was about $45; a taxi the other way was $75.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Dang! I didn't realize it was the 405! I hate the 405.... that's what I'll be taking down from Universal City, ugh.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by acarney
... I really just should have flown into LAX to begin with, I don't know what I was thinking originally planning SNA and booking my outbound flight already... it was all to avoid LA traffic... but people fly into LAX for a reason, they need the flight options, lol ... I probably have some brain problem, I can never make my trips relaxing.... )
as a “planning-obsessive” I can certainly relate ... however, it’s started to sink in (probably directly related to age, lol), that the reality often only gets to ~75-80% of the expectation
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:53 pm

I can see that you are trying to be considerate, which is lovely. I think you have two options, and you and she can decide which works better. Either you both get up an hour earlier to get her to the airport an hour earlier, which gives you time to get where you need to be without risking stress and traffic and missing your flight. Or you get her an Uber, or perhaps a limo, to the airport, and you both sleep in. It sounds like the cost to change your flights or miss Cirque is more than a nice car? If it were me I'd value an extra hour of sleep and would happily take a taxi/Uber. Honestly, just talk to her. I'm pretty sure she'd rather have you happy and relaxed and enjoying yourself, than stressed out and worried about flights and driving and rental cars and traffic and and and....
wrp96 and pvn like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Dang! I didn't realize it was the 405! I hate the 405.... that's what I'll be taking down from Universal City, ugh.
I’d seriously think about going via 101–>110–>105
(actually, if I drove it, I’d probably do 101-Highland-La Brea-Manchester, although that’s not the best use of an A4 ... says the guy whose son just got an S6 V10)

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 24, 2018 at 7:04 pm
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:00 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
So from the points I'm getting, would 8:30am drop off push me into the "most likely make it category" or am I still on the bleeding edge of screwing myself over?

The cost of missing the flight would be big (probably missed Cirque show, ~$300). However, I have a last ditch option of picking a 11:55am Alaska flight out of SNA (instead of the Delta 11:25am). The only cost to that is I don't get to use my Amex points via Delta transfer for a free flight. Instead I pay $278 and give up the E175 for a 737-800. If this is looking insane to everyone I'll give up the single F seat rows that the Delta E175 offers and switch to AS and cough up the money. I haven't booked that return flight yet. I gain 30 minutes on a slightly later flight and I could still aim for 8:30am drop off at LAX for my friend. (Total time I have from LAX to flight leaving SNA would then be 3 hours and 25 min)

I'm not a huge fan of rushing through airports or making really tight schedules, but at the same time every time I find myself packing a trip so damn full that I get stressed somewhere and am always in a rush... soooo, I can't help it :P (Hence the added Cirque show, the vacation is the week in LA doing 3 Halloween events and Disney 3 days and Universal a day, I just realized I connect through Seattle and there happens to be a touring Cirque show that same day, so lets pack that in too!)
Given that the cost of missing your flight is "big" and you're "not a huge fan of rushing" then you should be planning for a lot more than just a "bleeding edge" chance of making your flight.

Tell your friend to get an uber.
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
FWIW, from LAX to SNA yer driving the 405 which is one of the more congested highways in LA.
It is the most congested interstate in the USA.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I second getting an uber.

At least for me (and my friends/family) airport pickups and drop offs aren’t expected. I think the increase in rideshare services have changed attitudes a great deal, because we were all doing more pickups/dropoffs 10-15 years ago. I honestly can’t remember the last time someone picked me up at the airport, or the last time I did an airport run for someone else.

In your case, you’ve got a really good reason why it’s not feasible to drop her off at LAX, and I’m sure your reasons would be accepted given the situation.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
FWIW, from LAX to SNA yer driving the 405 which is one of the more congested highways in LA. ...
Dang! I didn't realize it was the 405! I hate the 405... ugh.
LAX-SNA can be done via 105–>605–>405 ... mid-morning Sat is probably a tossup
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:35 am

I love how this thread is bringing SNL's The Californians to life.....
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:15 am

Drop her at 8:30 and you should be fine. Problem solved!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jeff767
Drop her at 8:30 and you should be fine. Problem solved!
For the 11:25am Delta flight, or if I give up Delta and go with the 11:55am Alaska one?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm not sure how much the Uber cost would be from the Universal Studios area (staying at the Hilton there) and just feels like of "not classy" or something to just put her on an Uber at ~7:30am and sending her off to LAX...

It's an option that I can certainly ask her if she minds... she honestly might not care... but I don't know, it's just not the first thing I would think of doing...
There's always Uber black. Or a non-app car service. Or just waking up earlier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.