Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best use of these ~500,000 Miles/Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of these ~500,000 Miles/Points?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As a confirmed cheapskate traveler (i.e., getting the most bang for the buck), I advise you to research this in two ways.

1. pick a destination you'd like (e.g., Bali) and then research a huge array of possible dates to find the best deal
2. pick some dates you'd like (e.g., early April) and then research a huge array of possible destinations to find the best deal

You should at least be able to start narrowing it down that way.

I agree that the Marriott points transfer is not a good deal. Only do that as a last resort.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by estedman
Why do people feel the need to correct posts about first class and and then throw a little jab in there? You know damn well what he is talking about.
Zero jab in there. I didn't know the difference when I started and wanted to make sure we were on the same page to try and help out this total stranger. Your post, on the other hand, is off-topic and rude.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by braytoar
I really don't have any specific locale in mind.

ideal would be something exotic (for us Americans) like Bali or Fiji.

Next best would be maybe Mediterranean/Adriatic (Greek or Croatian coast). Other ideas welcome, but trying to avoid the "easy" options like Hawaii, Caribbean, or Mexico.

I never use miles for domestic or short travel, but am also wanting a premium experience for flights longer than 5 or 6 hours.
OK, thanks OP. I wouldn't necessarily think the best option is to combine all your points with DL unless you see a specific redemption you can price out and book. If you see one you like, call Delta and confirm the seats actually exist before transferring your points over.

Your best bet if you want to travel in business class (and aren't concerned/in need of first class) is probably this:
- Use DL miles to travel from LOU/CVG to NYC/Boston/Chicago. DL domestic trips shouldn't cost much, especially if you're flexible on timing.
- Look for business class flights to Croatia/Greece that fit your dates on Aeroplan. When you see the ones you want, call Aeroplan to confirm that the seats exist and are available for booking. You'll prefer flights on Brussels, SAS, Swiss, Turkish, and United here because Aeroplan doesn't charge fuel surcharges on those flights.
- Transfer 220k miles to Aeroplan (160K AMEX + 180K Marriott) to fly business class roundtrip
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Delta often doesn’t have the greatest deals in business class awards, especially since they don’t actually publish international award charts.

DPS isn’t too difficult, though. Generally I’d recommend flying on their partner Virgin Australia through Australia, instead of mainland China. Or, fly D1 for the long leg if the mileage is similar.

Rule of thumb is Delta miles are worth 1 cent per mile. You’re looking at converting other points which often have a higher value than Delta, so you could be throwing away 30-50% of possible value.

For real luxury, you won’t find it on an American airline. Bali has some pretty affordable hotels, too.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
My first recommendation is to not focus on the airline miles, per se.

Your Marriott points are good through the end of the year for 5 nights in a category 6 hotel (their top tier for bookings made through the end of the year). They have a 5th night free plan, stretching those points to be almost the entire week.

I’d consider looking at all of Amex partners to find the best deal. For example, you may be better off transferring to delta, or perhaps someone else. Finally, I’d consider using the delta miles for either one ticket and pay for one ticket to then earn miles. This last point is a function of your personal finances.

What I wouldn’t do: transfer them to BA since they charge massive fuel surcharges on redemption tickets. Like $1+k for a business ticket to mainland Europe from the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.