Delta (DGS) Layoffs at RIC?

Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/2MM, MR-Plat, HH-Gold, Hertz-Prezi Club, Marriott-Gold, MHC
Delta (DGS) Layoffs at RIC?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/08...zens-jobs-ric/

Concerning news out of Richmond, VA today, about 92 employees of Delta Global Services will be laid off in about 2 months. I'm not familiar with how DGS operates or if they are changing contracts, but the way the Delta rep described the situation is that employees would be eligible for transfer to other stations in other cities if openings exist. I have not noticed any decrease of schedules (yet) and i'm curious if there are other Delta stations around the country that are announcing or have announced layoffs at this scale? Richmond isn't a large airport, and 92 people sounds like an awful lot of people power that will be impacted.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Maybe they’re switching from DGS to mainline DL. I don’t employees can automatically transfer between the two.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
If I were DL I would take advantage of any third party employee who had consistently high performance reviews from both local management and passengers. I would give those employees the choice of being hired by DL directly with appropriate pay/benefits but starting at the bottom of the seniority list. At that point its HR paperwork. Why go through the trouble of hiring a new batch or the cost of relocation?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tvtd
If I were DL I would take advantage of any third party employee who had consistently high performance reviews from both local management and passengers. I would give those employees the choice of being hired by DL directly with appropriate pay/benefits but starting at the bottom of the seniority list. At that point its HR paperwork. Why go through the trouble of hiring a new batch or the cost of relocation?
I would guess labor concerns.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tvtd
Why go through the trouble of hiring a new batch or the cost of relocation?
Relocation is common in the U.S. for a variety of air carrier service occupations. Don't follow the convention and wind up with an impending union representation election.

Delta from RIC is mainline to Atlanta, but, based on a look at today's ops, only to ATL.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
DGS handles a lot of gate ops for other airlines as well as Delta, especially United. The story says the end of a third-party contract precipitated the layoffs, and its likely another airline either decided to bring ops in-house, or chose another vendor. Almost certainly has nothing to do with Delta ops.
HDQDD and RICforme like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
The article referenced by the OP clearly states: "the company [DGS] is reducing staff at Richmond International Airport in response to a third-party contract ending." According to the article, the contract with the unnamed third party ends October 17.

It appears to me from the way the article is written that the author does not understand the difference between Delta Air Lines, Inc. and Delta Global Services, Inc. Delta Air Lines is not reducing its presence at RIC, contrary to an assertion made by the author. The airport website states that Delta provides service to and from RIC from the following:
Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Minneapolis, New York.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
Maybe they’re switching from DGS to mainline DL. I don’t employees can automatically transfer between the two.
The only way Delta brings another ramp station in-house is if the ramp gets a union and a scope agreement forces it.
Even places like RDU, over 80 flights a day, are done by a vendor.

but it sounds like DGS lost another airline or airlines and this has nothing to do with the Delta operation
Originally Posted by ND76
The article referenced by the OP clearly states: "the company [DGS] is reducing staff at Richmond International Airport in response to a third-party contract ending." According to the article, the contract with the unnamed third party ends October 17.

It appears to me from the way the article is written that the author does not understand the difference between Delta Air Lines, Inc. and Delta Global Services, Inc. Delta Air Lines is not reducing its presence at RIC, contrary to an assertion made by the author. The airport website states that Delta provides service to and from RIC from the following:
Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Minneapolis, New York.
correct but just for the record DGS is Delta's ramp vendor at RIC.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
The only way Delta brings another ramp station in-house is if the ramp gets a union and a scope agreement forces it.
Even places like RDU, over 80 flights a day, are done by a vendor.

but it sounds like DGS lost another airline or airlines and this has nothing to do with the Delta operation

correct but just for the record DGS is Delta's ramp vendor at RIC.
Size of the station isn't necessarily indicative of whether DGS handles certain operations. There are quite a few stations smaller than RDU that are mainline both gates and ramp.

And then there are places like ATL where DGS handles things like wheelchairs. DGS wears many hats.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by WidgetKid
Size of the station isn't necessarily indicative of whether DGS handles certain operations. There are quite a few stations smaller than RDU that are mainline both gates and ramp.

And then there are places like ATL where DGS handles things like wheelchairs. DGS wears many hats.
Not to go to far off topic here but you are technically correct that size don't judge it because nothing judges it.

Delta has two kinds of stations that are in-house.
1) the pre-merger stations which IIRC was something like 12-14 of
2) the 40 stations Northwest brought with them, which I think something like 10 overlapped with Northwest. (IIRC only CVG, SLC and SJU were mainline Delta that weren't mainline Northwest)

AFAIK Delta hasn't insourced any below wing stations since before bankruptcy, probably before 7.5

and yes, quite a few stations are smaller than RDU that have the ramp (Delta has always done the majority of above wing in-house) and basically all of them are legacy Northwest outside of TPA, EWR and FLL.

anyways, my main point is a station that wasn't a big Northwest place (or a heartland market line FNT) or a Delta hub isn't going to be mainline below wing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.