Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Damaged Baggage Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The data on those laptops is highly private. In fact I bet if employers knew you were doing so on regular basis they'd be upset. This is how data gets stolen. Federal law places significant rules/restrictions on healthcare providers to protect patient info. Knowingly giving up control of a laptop with such info is reckless.
It all depends on how good each employer is with protecting PHI on their devices and incase you didn't know, not everyone who works for a hospital has access to PHI (such as my case, I am in marketing and all I got is a list of physicians which also just happens to be readily available online. ) So yeah, not sure what angle you are trying to take but my employer knows exactly what happened and guess what, they could care less.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Paki81
It all depends on how good each employer is with protecting PHI on their devices and incase you didn't know, not everyone who works for a hospital has access to PHI (such as my case, I am in marketing and all I got is a list of physicians which also just happens to be readily available online. ) So yeah, not sure what angle you are trying to take but my employer knows exactly what happened and guess what, they could care less.
When one says you work in a hospital, one assumes that you'll have access to PHI. You're right that being in marketing changes the equation. However their was no way for me or other poster who raised same concern to know that. In fact marketing in some hospitals can have access to PHI. Depends on the full extent of the marketing they're doing is.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Paki81
"The laptop is actually a work laptop so I checked with our IT department/help desk and they didn't think it was a big deal. They said its a bigger deal if I had lost it (I work for a hospital)." would lead a reader to the reasonable assumption that PHI was stored on your laptop.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by emrdoc
"The laptop is actually a work laptop so I checked with our IT department/help desk and they didn't think it was a big deal. They said its a bigger deal if I had lost it (I work for a hospital)." would lead a reader to the reasonable assumption that PHI was stored on your laptop.
Well, that was my initial thought also.

But it could simply be that a "lost" device could actually have been sold by the employee. I would think this is a non trivial issue in some organisations,

If PHI was the issue, I have a real problem with this hospital. Laptops will go missing. That is reality. IT should insure there is no risk of compromising sensitive data because of this.

Reminds me of the case about 10 years ago with the initial incarnation of clear. Before it failed, they had a security fail when an employee lost a notebook that had customer data on it. And this was an outfit supposedly keeping us secure. What a f'ing joke that was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.