Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FNT-MSP to be Discontinued 12/18

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aww3583
You and I sound like the same person. FNT born and raised. ATL-ien for many years. I wore out the AirTran ATL-FNT route for many years.

I visited FNT for Thanksgiving and the airport seemed just fine. Multiple Frontier flights, United connections, etc. DL's ATL flight was 2x per day which seems lower than normal.

When I lived in RDU, the RDU-DTW (or even GSP-DTW) flights were just too convenient.

As an interesting side-note, one of the executive directors of RDU (overseeing its explosive growth and recent renovations) spent many years at FNT and was involved in its renovation a while back.
ATL-FNT is 3x daily on weekdays and 2x on weekends and around holidays.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:55 pm

This also pretty much means no west coast connections on DL into FNT. No way am I flying SFO-ATL-FNT when I could do SFO-ORD-FNT (UA) or non stop SFO-DTW.

I also wonder if UA (finally) starting non stop service from SFO-DTW had some influence in this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
This also pretty much means no west coast connections on DL into FNT. No way am I flying SFO-ATL-FNT when I could do SFO-ORD-FNT (UA) or non stop SFO-DTW.

I also wonder if UA (finally) starting non stop service from SFO-DTW had some influence in this.
How much do you imagine the once daily SFO-DTW UA flight on an A319, took away from the MSP-FNT flight? I'm pretty that flight alone was not the tipping point for the flight. Surely most who switched to that flight to get to FNT were already flying SFO-ORD-FNT, not SFO-MSP-FNT on DL. I'm going to bet it was mostly DL people who tired of flying the CRJ-200 to MSP when they could drive to DTW and get mainline non-stop routes out west, or mainline to MSP.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 11, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
Surely most who switched to that flight to get to FNT were already flying SFO-ORD-FNT, not SFO-MSP-FNT on DL.
Enlighten us.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
How much do you imagine the once daily SFO-DTW UA flight on an A319, took away from the MSP-FNT flight? I'm pretty that flight alone was not the tipping point for the flight. Surely most who switched to that flight to get to FNT were already flying SFO-ORD-FNT, not SFO-MSP-FNT on DL. I'm going to bet it was mostly DL people who tired of flying the CRJ-200 to MSP when they could drive to DTW and get mainline non-stop routes out west, or mainline to MSP.
Who the heck is flying to Flint from San Francisco?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Who the heck is flying to Flint from San Francisco?
People flying home to visit their parents.
third_wave likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
Enlighten us.
I would assume most people flying the once daily SFO-DTW flight just to get to FNT are doing it because they are UA flyers, not DL flyers and thus were in the habit of flying SFO-ORD-FNT instead of SFO-MSP-FNT. Still not really seeing how a once daily flight (which doesn't even go to FNT) somehow doomed the MSP-FNT flight. If you wanted to avoid to RJ flights to FNT, there were already numerous non-stop and connecting options to DTW to do that.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

People flying home to visit their parents.

I can't imagine there is a much of a Flint or greater Flint diaspora in San Francisco.

A few years ago when Delta eliminated Flint–Detroit they claimed their internal data showed most Flint customers were flying south to or through Atlanta even before Detroit was dropped. Considering the large African-American demographic in the Flint area this is understandable. But even more so when you fly Flint–Atlanta and see all the vacationers going to Florida and the Caribbean.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Dec 12, 2018 at 5:44 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
FNT largely capitalizes on the fun/sun crowd going to Florida (which pulls from a huge swath of Mid-Michigan), and to destinations that you have to connect over ATL anyways versus cannot obtain an nonstop from DTW.

I am equi-distant from DTW and FNT and 95% of the time use DTW. I use FNT when I have to connect in ATL anyways. The problem I have with FNT vs. DTW is there is a flight from ATL-DTW nearly every 60-90 minutes, versus 3 a day to FNT. Oftentimes the connections and departure/arrival times favor DTW versus FNT since when flying from FNT is usually means I'm on a 6am departure and arriving back at 11:30pm. At least with DTW-ATL connections I can leave at 7-9 am-ish and often find a flight that arrives back at 6-9pm-ish.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skchin
Hopefully not Flint tap water.
https://i.imgur.com/utzTCyo.png
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DTWflyer
FNT largely capitalizes on the fun/sun crowd going to Florida (which pulls from a huge swath of Mid-Michigan), and to destinations that you have to connect over ATL anyways versus cannot obtain an nonstop from DTW.

I am equi-distant from DTW and FNT and 95% of the time use DTW. I use FNT when I have to connect in ATL anyways. The problem I have with FNT vs. DTW is there is a flight from ATL-DTW nearly every 60-90 minutes, versus 3 a day to FNT. Oftentimes the connections and departure/arrival times favor DTW versus FNT since when flying from FNT is usually means I'm on a 6am departure and arriving back at 11:30pm. At least with DTW-ATL connections I can leave at 7-9 am-ish and often find a flight that arrives back at 6-9pm-ish.
And the upgrades are easier through Flint, but the morning flight sucks because there is really no good place to buy food at that hour after the TSA checkpoint and it's a non-meal service flight. I wish Delta would be like KLM and serve a cold snack box-esque breakfast with yogurt and granola on these flights. If you have a short connection in Atlanta you may go a couple hours without any food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.