Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is 1.8 million Skymiles DTW to JNB R/T a good deal for 2 passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 1.8 million Skymiles DTW to JNB R/T a good deal for 2 passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:13 pm
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Serious question, how can we change title? AFAIK the thread title can only be changed by the mods. Did that change recently?
It allowed me to change the title in the original post..did not know it was an issue.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by ethernal
As a whole, Star Alliance is the best alliance. Pretty much any ranking shows this. You could potentially compare OneWorld to StarAlliance. SkyTeam is definitely not comparable. You can cherry-pick routes of course, but the number of cherries is far in *A or OW's favor.
In China and Asia in general, *A is weak, for example. ST is strong.

You are discounting the highest population and population density areas of the globe in saying that *A is strong.

That being said, yes, on the whole, *A is bigger. Just look at the member airlines qty. It's just not evenly spread. But in terms of size and airlines qty, *A is bigger and on many routes it offers the most options. But on others it offers by far the least..

OneWorld is pretty much always the weakest overall, and rarely is it the strongest in any region (in the UK perhaps?).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If redemption of 930K per pax is good value to you, then that's what counts.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous Delta charges 930K for anything short of flights into the space.

For reference, you can redeem (through Alaska) Emirates first class from east coast US to South Africa for 200K one-way per pax. Business class awards can be had for well under 100K each way. Yes, I understand these are different programs, but they illustrate you can get value out of your redemption. Personally, I earn and burn my miles/points, who knows when they would be devalued? Too late.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I've seen "SkyDongs" used before (after the Vietnamese Dong, which is one of the most devalued currencies in the world). Right now $1 USD exchanges to ~23,300 Vietnamese Dongs.
I think the Iranian Rial has it beat now at 120,000 to 1 USD at the end of July.

My quarter-million SkyRials are worth less every day.
wrp96 and TheHorta like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Serious question, how can we change title? AFAIK the thread title can only be changed by the mods. Did that change recently?
Does not matter. That fact that you missed almost 1 MILLION Delta SkyMiles for ANYTHING is, IMO, the point of this thread!

...well other than dumping them for wine with bubbles in the SkyPub as Mr. Ham Sandwich says we should all flush them on...
wrp96 and TheHorta like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Does not matter. That fact that you missed almost 1 MILLION Delta SkyMiles for ANYTHING is, IMO, the point of this thread!

...well other than dumping them for wine with bubbles in the SkyPub as Mr. Ham Sandwich says we should all flush them on...
I didn't miss that. Have you read the thread? No one, including me thought that was ok amount. I even included a sarcastic comment in agreement.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RealHJ
ST is "vastly superior" to *A and OW on many routes and in several regions, elsewhere OW options are better, elsewhere *A (though *A airline hard product is often the worst; SkyTeam is more often than not the best in flight product).
Right, because I'd take MU or CZ over SQ, BR, or NH every day of the week. And don't forget KL over LX or OS!

I've been shocked by how bad ST's international options are. It's the worst alliance by far. With CX's rapid decline, *A has pulled far ahead of OW, and is in a completely different league from ST.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
When it comes to comparing alliances (a particular route / equipment / service / availability / redemption rates), one man's trash is another man's treasure.
wrp96 and CalebMCO like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
So it's fine to purposefully mislead as long as there's some small point somewhere in a picture that can easily be overlooked?

Nowhere in those 14 words does it say for 2 passengers.
Again you're putting words into people's mouths. NO one said he purposefully misled.
Oh, you can't make this stuff up! Thanks for the laugh.

10/10 entertaining thread would read again.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by RealHJ
In China and Asia in general, *A is weak, for example. ST is strong.
In China, I agree. But Asia? It's a wash. SQ is a high quality airline that is quite strong in Asia, and SIN a good transit airport. Add in ANA, Air China, Thai, and Asiana and overall Asia coverage is strong. And if you are USA based, UA has lots of metal flying to China, including cities that DL doesnt' serve directly.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Par for the course

1,860,000 SkyMiles for two, rather than $20,844, is 1.1 cents/mile. What Are Points & Miles Worth? estimates 1.2 cents/mile, same as my own calculations on average.

United awards are refundable for elites up to departure. Delta awards are not.

United offers amazing award deals, last minute or sometimes in advance, on long haul beds. Delta does not.

I'm a United 1K expat, now Delta DM. There were some justifications for this move; my four upgrade certs from Delta clear for me; my ten from United only cleared for friends. The Delta lounges aren't bus stations. With the Delta Reserve Amex card one can maintain status more easily with a lull in flying. But the United hard product for transcon beds is slightly more comfortable, and I really miss United awards. I flew Swiss Air business both ways between SFO and Zurich this summer to get comfortably to Morocco, for a song in United miles, and it was great. After two half years of flying ahead, I may return to United for these reasons.

There's nothing of note to the example given in this thread. I'd bet people could easily find more expensive trips in the system, which will naturally translate to more miles.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SSF556
Well is it?
I would say it is a great deal for Delta!

To put in perspective, a general member would need to spend about $400k with Delta in order to earn the points to then redeem this flight for two. Now, of course, you might say that if somebody were to spend $400k, they probably wouldn't be a general member. If we were to assume that they are a Diamond, then, all they would have needed to spend is close to $200k in order to earn the points necessary to redeem this trip.

Another data point to consider is that since earnings are capped at 75k per trip, that means they would have needed to take 25 trips of about $7k each.

My simple view is that Delta is, in essence, saying take 10-12 trips with us and we'll give you one for free :-)
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Syzygies
1,860,000 SkyMiles for two, rather than $20,844, is 1.1 cents/mile. What Are Points & Miles Worth? estimates 1.2 cents/mile, same as my own calculations on average.
That is accurate for standard domestic routes. J has always had higher cents/mile values that domestic Y - anywhere from 2-4 cents/mile at a minimum, sometimes more. 1.1 cents/mile is an abnormality in the industry (although Delta is making it more and more a standard for themselves).

There's nothing of note to the example given in this thread. I'd bet people could easily find more expensive trips in the system, which will naturally translate to more miles.
This is actually the cap for redemption - it is the most expensive award fare bucket that Delta has.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now this is getting totally out of hand --

Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by LBJ
Now this is getting totally out of hand --

Disregard my previous comment.. I stand corrected 😂
TheHorta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.