Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Continues to add Seat-back TVs while American continues to remove them

DL Continues to add Seat-back TVs while American continues to remove them

Old Aug 20, 18, 7:55 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PIT to MSP to PIT; repeat
Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
Posts: 1,475
DL Continues to add Seat-back TVs while American continues to remove them

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk...-is-right.html

Seatback screens
Keith2004 likes this.
RRDD is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:17 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,326
I personally love the seatback screens. I am a millennial so even if I'm not using my phone for work, I'm playing a game on my phone while a movie is on. And my 10 y/o hates it when we get onto a plane with no screen. It is also a far more convenient angle to watch as well w/o using some janky home-made device to hold your phone/tablet at eye level.
BearX220, cmx, sky303 and 1 others like this.
kop84 is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:33 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 2,612
I agree with AA on this one. Although on the flip side, the cost curve on supporting IFE has to have bowed way down over the past 10 years so it probably doesn't cost Delta that much to do IFE. At least I certainly hope not since I'm paying for it with higher ticket prices..
sdadept likes this.
ethernal is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:47 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 6,912
I love seatback IFE and I travel with an iPhone and MacBook Air.....screens are so much more enjoyable to use than watching a movie on my phone or laptop.

AA is just being cheap plain and simple.....LAA had plans for more seatback IFE until US Airways took over.

DL was so smart to not let Doug Parker take them over.
AANYC1981 is online now  
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:54 am
  #5  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Originally Posted by kop84 View Post
And my 10 y/o hates it when we get onto a plane with no screen..
Ya know, sonny . . . . Back in your grand-pap's day, before those newfangled aero-planes, they had to read the hand printed newspaper by the light of the moon, before they invented those fancy round electric light globe things.

davetravels is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:56 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,326
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Ya know, sonny . . . . Back in your grand-pap's day, before those newfangled aero-planes, they had to read the hand printed newspaper by the light of the moon, before they invented those fancy round electric light globe things.

In My Grandpappy's day, he just had to flap his arms really fast when he jumped off the barn and imagine what flight was like! And of course being back in those days, no one was ever injured or killed...Gen Y's Skeletons are so weak.
davetravels and SDQBound like this.
kop84 is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:59 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,817
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
I agree with AA on this one. Although on the flip side, the cost curve on supporting IFE has to have bowed way down over the past 10 years so it probably doesn't cost Delta that much to do IFE. At least I certainly hope not since I'm paying for it with higher ticket prices..
Strongly disagree with you/AA on this one.

DL IFE is one of the reasons DL has become my default -- especially international work trips. Don't want to load my work laptop up with a bunch of iTunes (and can't download Netflix to MBP) and have no interest in lugging my MBP and an iPad just so I can have IFE (I've done that a couple times and regretted it immediately -- was too much).

Just wish they had more with live TV loaded for domestic flights (mainly for sporting events).
BearX220, SDQBound, cmx and 4 others like this.
Duke787 is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:08 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 2,612
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
DL IFE is one of the reasons DL has become my default -- especially international work trips.
I want whatever job where you have time to laze around and watch movies while on a work trip - I'm usually, you know, working.

To each their own I suppose. For me, the IFE is worthless. I've never watched a movie on a DL flight (either via seatback or whatever the studio thing is). Definitely a non-value add service to me (especially since I know I'm paying for it - and those content licensing fees can't be cheap).
sdadept and Nick0514 like this.
ethernal is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:15 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South of London.
Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
Posts: 14,094
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
I want whatever job where you have time to laze around and watch movies while on a work trip - I'm usually, you know, working.

To each their own I suppose. For me, the IFE is worthless. I've never watched a movie on a DL flight (either via seatback or whatever the studio thing is). Definitely a non-value add service to me (especially since I know I'm paying for it - and those content licensing fees can't be cheap).
I think you're in the minority there.
USA_flyer is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:18 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,806
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
I want whatever job where you have time to laze around and watch movies while on a work trip - I'm usually, you know, working.

To each their own I suppose. For me, the IFE is worthless. I've never watched a movie on a DL flight (either via seatback or whatever the studio thing is). Definitely a non-value add service to me (especially since I know I'm paying for it - and those content licensing fees can't be cheap).
I definitely donít want whatever job you have
travelinmanS is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:21 am
  #11  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
For me, the IFE is worthless. I've never watched a movie on a DL flight (either via seatback or whatever the studio thing is). Definitely a non-value add service to me
Pretty much agree with this, and, my trips are ALWAYS for pleasure! I have watched a VERY rare movie, but, I do like an occasional TV sitcom, but, I never, EVER take IFE into consideration when booking a flights.

Originally Posted by USA_flyer View Post
I think you're in the minority there.
The minority is one larger now!
davetravels is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:27 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: CHS
Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,165
If the same content is on my iPad via wifi, I would much rather have that. Those screens also put out a considerable amount of heat. The planes could be much cooler.....
chrisny2 likes this.
Hipplewm is online now  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:31 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Posts: 1,570
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
I agree with AA on this one. Although on the flip side, the cost curve on supporting IFE has to have bowed way down over the past 10 years so it probably doesn't cost Delta that much to do IFE. At least I certainly hope not since I'm paying for it with higher ticket prices..
I doubt USdbaAA is lowering ticket prices as a result of cost savings from no IFE.
Austin787 is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:33 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South of London.
Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
Posts: 14,094
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Pretty much agree with this, and, my trips are ALWAYS for pleasure! I have watched a VERY rare movie, but, I do like an occasional TV sitcom, but, I never, EVER take IFE into consideration when booking a flights.

The minority is one larger now!
Do you have kids to consider?
USA_flyer is offline  
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:34 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BNA (Nashville)
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,638
Does AA not have screens on seat backs on their long haul fleet? I know they have screens in J.
bitterproffit is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: