Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Continues to add Seat-back TVs while American continues to remove them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk...-is-right.html

Seatback screens
Keith2004 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:17 am

I personally love the seatback screens. I am a millennial so even if I'm not using my phone for work, I'm playing a game on my phone while a movie is on. And my 10 y/o hates it when we get onto a plane with no screen. It is also a far more convenient angle to watch as well w/o using some janky home-made device to hold your phone/tablet at eye level.
BearX220, cmx, sky303 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I agree with AA on this one. Although on the flip side, the cost curve on supporting IFE has to have bowed way down over the past 10 years so it probably doesn't cost Delta that much to do IFE. At least I certainly hope not since I'm paying for it with higher ticket prices..
sdadept likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I love seatback IFE and I travel with an iPhone and MacBook Air.....screens are so much more enjoyable to use than watching a movie on my phone or laptop.

AA is just being cheap plain and simple.....LAA had plans for more seatback IFE until US Airways took over.

DL was so smart to not let Doug Parker take them over.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:54 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kop84
And my 10 y/o hates it when we get onto a plane with no screen..
Ya know, sonny . . . . Back in your grand-pap's day, before those newfangled aero-planes, they had to read the hand printed newspaper by the light of the moon, before they invented those fancy round electric light globe things.

Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
Ya know, sonny . . . . Back in your grand-pap's day, before those newfangled aero-planes, they had to read the hand printed newspaper by the light of the moon, before they invented those fancy round electric light globe things.

In My Grandpappy's day, he just had to flap his arms really fast when he jumped off the barn and imagine what flight was like! And of course being back in those days, no one was ever injured or killed...Gen Y's Skeletons are so weak.
davetravels and SDQBound like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
I agree with AA on this one. Although on the flip side, the cost curve on supporting IFE has to have bowed way down over the past 10 years so it probably doesn't cost Delta that much to do IFE. At least I certainly hope not since I'm paying for it with higher ticket prices..
Strongly disagree with you/AA on this one.

DL IFE is one of the reasons DL has become my default -- especially international work trips. Don't want to load my work laptop up with a bunch of iTunes (and can't download Netflix to MBP) and have no interest in lugging my MBP and an iPad just so I can have IFE (I've done that a couple times and regretted it immediately -- was too much).

Just wish they had more with live TV loaded for domestic flights (mainly for sporting events).
BearX220, SDQBound, cmx and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Duke787
DL IFE is one of the reasons DL has become my default -- especially international work trips.
I want whatever job where you have time to laze around and watch movies while on a work trip - I'm usually, you know, working.

To each their own I suppose. For me, the IFE is worthless. I've never watched a movie on a DL flight (either via seatback or whatever the studio thing is). Definitely a non-value add service to me (especially since I know I'm paying for it - and those content licensing fees can't be cheap).
sdadept and Nick0514 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I want whatever job where you have time to laze around and watch movies while on a work trip - I'm usually, you know, working.

To each their own I suppose. For me, the IFE is worthless. I've never watched a movie on a DL flight (either via seatback or whatever the studio thing is). Definitely a non-value add service to me (especially since I know I'm paying for it - and those content licensing fees can't be cheap).
I think you're in the minority there.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I definitely don’t want whatever job you have
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:21 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
For me, the IFE is worthless. I've never watched a movie on a DL flight (either via seatback or whatever the studio thing is). Definitely a non-value add service to me
Pretty much agree with this, and, my trips are ALWAYS for pleasure! I have watched a VERY rare movie, but, I do like an occasional TV sitcom, but, I never, EVER take IFE into consideration when booking a flights.

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I think you're in the minority there.
The minority is one larger now!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
If the same content is on my iPad via wifi, I would much rather have that. Those screens also put out a considerable amount of heat. The planes could be much cooler.....
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I doubt USdbaAA is lowering ticket prices as a result of cost savings from no IFE.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by davetravels
Pretty much agree with this, and, my trips are ALWAYS for pleasure! I have watched a VERY rare movie, but, I do like an occasional TV sitcom, but, I never, EVER take IFE into consideration when booking a flights.

The minority is one larger now!
Do you have kids to consider?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Does AA not have screens on seat backs on their long haul fleet? I know they have screens in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.