Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

no-status flier on DL award ticket from Platinum member -- SDC change = free?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no-status flier on DL award ticket from Platinum member -- SDC change = free?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by yohanson
That's only true for first class. Anything in coach will be whatever the going rate is at that time.
You have to remember that award tickets come in buckets as well-- N, NL, NX, NK, etc. Each of those buckets have award fares filed. So, for example, I might book a 20,000 mile award that books into NX with a 21 day advance purchase. On the day of travel, though, the only award fare filed in NX might be 30,000 miles.

I don't have to pay the extra 10,000 miles to SDC. It works just like paid travel in that way--if a seat is available in the fare bucket, even if you can't purchase it outright at the same fare/mileage level, it's yours for a SDC.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:49 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
As others mentioned, as long as the fare subset is available (NX, NL, NK) which most of the time seem to correlate with the Y fare bucket availability, no additional miles will be collected. However, if only a higher fare subset is available, it will be necessary to use additional miles to rebook the ticket in the available fare, and then the SDC can be processed.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by SDQBound
As others mentioned, as long as the fare subset is available (NX, NL, NK) which most of the time seem to correlate with the Y fare bucket availability, no additional miles will be collected. However, if only a higher fare subset is available, it will be necessary to use additional miles to rebook the ticket in the available fare, and then the SDC can be processed.
Between 2-3 years ago, I tried to SDC 3 different times on an award fare and I was told I had to pay the difference between what I had purchased originally and what they were selling the seats for. Perhaps I had bad agents or perhaps my bucket wasn't available. I turned it down 2 of the 3 times.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:26 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
That's only true for first class. Anything in coach will be whatever the going rate is at that time.
Between 2-3 years ago, I tried to SDC 3 different times on an award fare and I was told I had to pay the difference between what I had purchased originally and what they were selling the seats for. Perhaps I had bad agents or perhaps my bucket wasn't available. I turned it down 2 of the 3 times.
I think 2-3 years ago there was an award fare class for each class, instead of the subsets we find now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.